• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preview: Silver 2

33 posts in this topic

893scratchchin-thumb.gif 8.0-8.5. Looks like fairly rusted lower staple with top a little nicer, lots of scuffing on bottom edge, bottom left corner ding, bottom right rounding, and some of what appears to be color loss from abrasion just a bit above the lower left corner going a bit into the cover art?

Lower edge wear , LLC spine problem. LRC . bottom staple , Basically the entire bottom is a mess.

But the rest is a solid.

If that weird foot on outer edge is worse in person.. then 7.5

I see people had a hard time with this one. Have to remember that bigger scans really amplify the defects. So before we go any further here is what this book received

cc6a.jpg

I notice that people grade more loosely when a book is posted raw as opposed to in a slab in this forum.

Great book, Nikos, but you have to admit that 9.4 seems a tad generous considering the significant spine bruise just above the bottom corner, especially on top of the blunted LRC.

The large scans are very useful, but deceiving as well - what sayest thou about posting scans of two sizes for the contest?

I think the grade is generous too, but then again, grading will seem to be perpertually subjective. I guess knowing if it was graded with the "old" and "new" label may be good information for the grading contest, since some think grading standards were relaxed over time (and vice versa tongue.gif )

The large scans are very useful, but deceiving as well - what sayest thou about posting scans of two sizes for the contest?

I have no problem with that, let UV know any requests prior to the contest.

I think the grade is generous too, but then again, grading will seem to be perpertually subjective. I guess knowing if it was graded with the "old" and "new" label may be good information for the grading contest, since some think grading standards were relaxed over time (and vice versa tongue.gif )

I gotta admit.. that 9.4 is a shocker.

umm... a 9.4 WITH A DINGED SPINE CORNER?, AND BOTTOM EDGE WEAR, LRC DING?

Is not 9.4 reserved those comics that are near perfect.. with no color breaks anywhere, and or no chipping of anykind??

I own a slabbed 8.5 copy of this same comic (OLD BLUE LABEL)

And when I compared this one..to my copy, mine was better on all fronts.

I am not sure what to make of this..or how it graded so high....9.4?

And that it is much harder guessing a grade from a scan.. then it is if book is in hand.

Yikes.. me thinks I need to evaluate my grading criteria. foreheadslap.gif

Oh well.. back to the old drawing board. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I gotta admit.. that 9.4 is a shocker.

I gotta admit that 8.0 on your Cap book you posted was a frown.gifshocker

umm... a 9.4 WITH A DINGED SPINE CORNER?, AND BOTTOM EDGE WEAR, LRC DING?

Book in hand looks much nicer, and super colors.

Yikes.. me thinks I need to evaluate my grading criteria. foreheadslap.gif

Oh well.. back to the old drawing board. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I cant leave my drawing board. Everytime I think I am getting better at grading, more surprises keep coming back from Florida.

And that is what I think will make this contest more intersting. Judging a book in hand is one thing, from a big scan it becomes much more difficult.