• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics Anniversaries posted by Brandon Shepherd

4 posts in this topic

Finding those milestones in a title.

When collecting a long running title like Action Comics, where completing the run is not realistic for me, I have come up with several themes within the title to keep me motivated. One such theme I have been working on is the anniversary issues, #100, #200, and so on. In 2012 I made real progress with the acquisition of #'s 400, 800 and 900 in 9.8 grades. I scored #800 (April 2003) early in 2012 thanks to World Wide Comics, I even wrote a journal about it. The real treat for me was finding #400 (May 1971), I tried to bid on this piece in April, 2010, I got a second chance over the summer and I still cannot believe my luck. Now I can say that I have #400, 500, 600, 700, 800 and 900 graded 9.8 with white page designations.

I do believe there may be a curse on my beloved Action Comics anniversary issues. The story starts with my purchase of #600 (June 1988) in 2007, this was originally in an old style label, the package had obviously been mishandled by the USPS, the top right corner of the slab was cracked open when it arrived. The book itself was fine as the inner seal was still intact, I sent it in for a new holder and all was well. A few months later I bought #700 (June 1994), with an old style, red "Modern" label. The package arrived safely but the slab had obviously switched hands several times and looked like the cat decided to sharpen his claws on the front and back, this was also sent in for a new holder. My #400 also arrived with a few distracting scuffs, and an inner seal with several distraction spots. This is not as serious as the #700, but for a prize book, I would like to get a new holder. Finally, I purchased #900 in December, the package arrived but it was the wrong book. The seller still had the item and sent out the correct book promptly. With the stress of the holiday season, I can see how this can happen; the seller also sent a return label for the other book. When I finally got my #900, I discovered that once again, the USPS mishandled the package, the item was packed well, but the slab arrived with a crack at the bottom.

Now I'm looking at four out of six books in this theme that have required new holders. I'm happy the books themselves survived, when I have gotten my replacement holders back, I could almost swear I was looking at a new books altogether. I look forward to seeing #400 and 900 in fresh slabs, but this will be for another time.

Happy New Year!

12777.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

That's a sharp looking book... I used to have that one back in '79, one of my first Action Comics.

There seems to be a few curses attributed to Superman... George Reeves suicide, Christopher Reeves horseback riding accident which left him paralyzed, Richard Pryor with MS, etc... so I'm not surprised to hear your story.

Congrats on acquiring the anniversary issues... the early ones 100, 200, and 300) will be a challenge... I hope you acquire them!

HNY 2013

SW3D

That's a sharp looking book... I used to have that one back in '79, one of my first Action Comics.

I've always wanted to read that issue (#500), I hear it's really cool. Sometimes part of the fun of slabbed comics is that you can't read the story and that you have to use the cover to speculate what the story inside is.