• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Spider Man Variant! ONLY known copy!

44 posts in this topic

I doubt that would happen.Its not like he's working in the mint or anything. I wouldn't be surprised if workers were allowed to take home a few discards for their reading pleasure.With the prices realized by that last error,I really expect to see many more on the market.

Not true.

Similar things have happened before.

Example...Uncut cover sheets have been stolen and sold.

I know for a fact that several people have gone to jail for stealing uncut cover sheets.

Did they get them all? I don't know.

But I do know that when the hammer fell, the rest of the (would be) theives realized the seriousness of it and stopped taking them.

It's possible some of the newer employees may try it.

But when the first person gets caught, the thought will be removed from the mind of everyone else.

Not true.

I know for a fact that several people have gone to jail for stealing uncut cover sheets.

I believe this happened with uncut sheets of Topps Baseball cards a while back also, can't remember the details but I do believe there were arrests.

Not true.

I believe this happened with uncut sheets of Topps Baseball cards a while back also, can't remember the details but I do believe there were arrests.

IF the itmes are going to be thrown in the trash or destroyed and have no value then what are they charged with?

Not true.

IF the itmes are going to be thrown in the trash or destroyed and have no value then what are they charged with?

Theft.

It is against policy for any employee to take anything without the concent of the CUSTOMER.

Everything that is printed, even the waste, belongs to the PUBLISHER. Not the printing facility.

Anyone that gets caught taking such product *IS* prosecuted for theft.

Not true.

Theft.

It is against policy for any employee to take anything without the concent of the CUSTOMER.

Everything that is printed, even the waste, belongs to the PUBLISHER. Not the printing facility.

Thanks!

""IF" the publisher says throw all damaged good way because they dont want it and worker takes comics from garbage is it then theft?

Not true.

Theft.

Thanks!

""IF" the publisher says throw all damaged good way because they dont want it and worker takes comics from garbage is it then theft?

It is not thrown away. It is recycled.

And it's still the property of the publisher until they get a check for the pulp.

At that point, it belongs to the recycler.

I would imagine they have policy about theft as well.

The product is never free game because it is always "owned" by someone.

If the waste went to the landfill, and the owner of the landfill gave permission, I suppose it could be "Fair Game".

Theft is theft. If something belongs to someone else, and you take it...It's theft.

sumo.gif

And it's still the property of the publisher until they get a check for the pulp.

If the waste went to the landfill, and the owner of the landfill gave permission, I suppose it could be "Fair Game".

Theft is theft. If something belongs to someone else, and you take it...It's theft.

sumo.gif

Thanks.

Very informative!

sumo.gif

Thanks.

Very informative!

i worked at a retail hq and instead of throwing out/giving away sample merchandise, we either: a) gave it to charity or b) sold at a "sample sale" with the proceeds going towards charity. also, product was given away to "wear test" merchandise - typically owned-brand merchandise. product was never up for grabs although people could be accused of hiding merchandise until sample sale time when they were then able to purchase it within policy.

Now why does THAT one have a BLUE label and the others a GREEN label? Bizarre, and doesn't match what Paul said earlier. Curious.

It is a CGC error - label printed without the yellow ink! crazy.gif

Actually I believe it's timing, and that the Qualified Error Label is a relatively new decision by CGC.

Now why does THAT one have a BLUE label and the others a GREEN label? Bizarre, and doesn't match what Paul said earlier. Curious.

Actually I believe it's timing, and that the Qualified Error Label is a relatively new decision by CGC.

I believe this could be the case.

My submission was received by CGC on January 15th of this year.

Perhaps they decided to make them Green Labels sometime after that.

confused-smiley-013.gif

So do I but my answer was funnier. insane.gif

tongue.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

It's because of statements like these that you're a tolerated member of this board, POV.

I doubt that would happen.Its not like he's working in the mint or anything. I wouldn't be surprised if workers were allowed to take home a few discards for their reading pleasure.With the prices realized by that last error,I really expect to see many more on the market.

Not true.

Did they get them all? I don't know.

But I do know that when the hammer fell, the rest of the (would be) theives realized the seriousness of it and stopped taking them.

It's possible some of the newer employees may try it.

But when the first person gets caught, the thought will be removed from the mind of everyone else.

I'm not trying to argue here,but your comparison with Topps employees stealing uncut sheets is different.

You seem to know more about the printing process than I do,so explain this to me,if you would.

A contracts with B to produce 25,000 books to be sold.

B prints up 25,500 so asto allow for a few being damaged. B delivers the 25,000 to A. Does A pay for the 25,000 delivered or the 25,500 printed.

If 200 books were printed incorrectly,A certainly isn't going to pay for them,would they?So they go into the discard pile to be recycled.

What happens next?

You say this is a common printing error but its rare that books escape. With several books ,this week alone selling for thousands of dollars,I would like to know exacty what kind of mechanisms are in place to prevent the above 200 copies from seeing the light of day.At even $100 each thats $20,000 dollars that company B or any of its employees can gain by not destroying books that it was never paid for in the first place.

With the evidence that there is a segment of the market that is willing to pay stoopid money for these errors,I think this is an area that should be more closely examined.

I'm not trying to argue here,but your comparison with Topps employees stealing uncut sheets is different.

I was talking about people stealing uncut press sheets of comic covers.

But yes. People get in the same trouble if they steal from a card printer.

You seem to know more about the printing process than I do,so explain this to me,if you would.

A contracts with B to produce 25,000 books to be sold.

B prints up 25,500 so asto allow for a few being damaged. B delivers the 25,000 to A. Does A pay for the 25,000 delivered or the 25,500 printed.

If 200 books were printed incorrectly,A certainly isn't going to pay for them,would they?So they go into the discard pile to be recycled.

What happens next?

It's not the way you describe it.

The publisher buys the paper with enough to run a certain percentage of waste.

The publisher pays for the ink consumed, which also counts a percentage of waste.

The publisher gets the money from the recycled waste.

Everything printed is owned by the publisher. Even (you guessed it) the waste.

If the printer under-consumes waste paper, the publisher uses it for the next job.

If the printer over-consumes waste paper, the printer pays for the paper.

Regardless of either scenario, the waste is "owned" by *someone*.

It is never the property of an individual employee.

If they get caught stealing it, whomever it belongs to, they face the penalty for theft.

You say this is a common printing error but its rare that books escape. With several books ,this week alone selling for thousands of dollars,I would like to know exacty what kind of mechanisms are in place to prevent the above 200 copies from seeing the light of day.At even $100 each thats $20,000 dollars that company B or any of its employees can gain by not destroying books that it was never paid for in the first place.

With the evidence that there is a segment of the market that is willing to pay stoopid money for these errors,I think this is an area that should be more closely examined.

The printer would be violating the print contract if they did what you suggest.

They could be prosecuted by the publisher.

This would be no different than any other company.

Do you think Borock would let employees sell *waste* empty slabs on the side?

I'm sure they have waste slabs. And I would bet they are destroyed.

Since they are going to be thrown away, why couldn't someone take them home and sell them on eBay?

There is no gray area. It is black and white and fully documented by any company with a reputation and responsibility to it's customers.

While it's obvious that the book is a printing error and not a true variant, it is still extremely rare (apparently unique), I don't see how paying big bucks for such an item is any crazier than paying huge multiples for a variant cover price on an otherwise unremarkable comic. In both cases it is scarcity, not content which drives the price.

I'd agree, except in the case of price variants. I don't collect any manufactured variants, and the only reason price variants appeal to me is that they are not errors or speculator cash grabs, but were actually produced for market research, and were right there on the shelf for 5-cents more.

Now, these USM printing variants are much higher on the totem pole than those POS manufactured collectibles, RRP (RIP?) versions, and various "retailer incentives", as these USM errors were on the shelf with the rest of the books, were not intended as a cash grab, and you could conceivably buy one for cover price.

Of course, with prices like this, I don't expect any more to reach the store shelves, as the distributors will likely be on the look-out, and the retailer will scarf the ones that squeeze through.

All it needed was a few big sales, and now it's all over.