• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 204 rrp question

12 posts in this topic

My first post, so I will get all my questions out of the way at one time.

I bought a Superman 204 rrp comic on ebay for $600.00 thinking it would be a good thing to have for a Superman collector like myself. I now see that it is being predicted that they are going to distribute more copies of this book in September. Is this really going to happen? I am going to Wizard World Chicago in two weeks and plan to have it cgc graded.

My question is, should I sell it now before being graded, and hope to get around $900 for it, and hope they do make more and then buy one next month for $500; should I have it graded and hope it gets 9.6 or 9.8 and then try to sell it; or should I grade it and keep it.

Also, off topic, will they grade all books at wizard world, or just newer ones. I have hulk 181 and action comics 252 I wanted to get graded.

I have a copy of x-men 1 that has the cover unattached (staples are pulled away) and is in fair condition. Is that worth grading.

Is a comic that is cgc graded low worth more than a comic that is not cgc graded at all? For example, if I grade the superman 204 rrp and it grades for 9.4, will it sell less than if it were not graded.

OK,

I'm done.

Thanks.

Two more question.

What will a signed comic grade for if you have it signed at a con? I was told they would consider this a cover defect. Is it worth having a slab signed once you have had a book graded. I have heard that you have to replace the slab every 7 years, so wouldn't you just end up trashing the signiture?

I bought a Superman 204 rrp comic on ebay for $600.00 thinking it would be a good thing to have for a Superman collector like myself. I now see that it is being predicted that they are going to distribute more copies of this book in September. Is this really going to happen? I am going to Wizard World Chicago in two weeks and plan to have it cgc graded.

Yes it is going to happen and no it is not an RRP (inasmuch as the Superman/Batman 1 retailer incentive is not an RRP) and it is the Superman 204 sketch variant

My question is, should I sell it now before being graded, and hope to get around $900 for it, and hope they do make more and then buy one next month for $500; should I have it graded and hope it gets 9.6 or 9.8 and then try to sell it; or should I grade it and keep it.

If you are a Superman collector, why are you looking to sell it? confused-smiley-013.gif

Also, off topic, will they grade all books at wizard world, or just newer ones. I have hulk 181 and action comics 252 I wanted to get graded.

They will grade them all for a tier-based fee with no discount.

I have a copy of x-men 1 that has the cover unattached (staples are pulled away) and is in fair condition. Is that worth grading.

If you will never read it again, sure slab it for protection or put it in a mylar. If you plan on selling it, not worth slabbing IMO.

Is a comic that is cgc graded low worth more than a comic that is not cgc graded at all? For example, if I grade the superman 204 rrp and it grades for 9.4, will it sell less than if it were not graded.

It depends on the books. In the case of the Supes 204 variant, it'll probably sell more if slabbed if you get it higher than a 9.6... now that there have been recorded sales of this book for an exorbitant price, US dealers later this year attending the meetings where these will be handed out in the hundreds will be ready to take the most pristine copy and guard it with their lives in order to submit 9.8 - 10.0 caliber copies to CGC.

I would send the book in via Express tier (sign up for collectors society, you get 3 free express submissions for 99 dollars). Then sell it and wait it out. It's a modern book, and will always be findable so you have time on your side. If they do release more, most likely the price will come down and if they don't there's no reason for the price to go up anymore then it's already at.

CGC will grade all books.

The X-men 1 is probably not worth grading, it's in "reader" condition and once in a slab it can't be read anymore unless you crack it. I'd leave it as is.

Yes, the problem would be something like this: you buy a book as a raw NM for 100 dollars. You submit it and it comes back a VF therefore it'd be worth say 90-100 dollars. After cost of grading factored in you'd be losing money on the deal. So you want to make sure YOU know how to grade if you're buying raw.

I bought a Superman 204 rrp comic on ebay for $600.00 thinking it would be a good thing to have for a Superman collector like myself. I now see that it is being predicted that they are going to distribute more copies of this book in September. Is this really going to happen?

Yes. DC is going to give it out at the Diamond Retailer Summit, September 13 in Baltimore, right after the Baltimore Comicon.

I am in the distinct minority on this board, but I think the RRPs will have legs. I think getting it slabbed would be the way to go, as the only reason it is worth money is the cover. If it comes back a 9.6 or a 9.8 you can sell it later.

All.

I think so, if for no other reason to protect the book.

It depends. Slabbed books are much more liquid, in my opinion, especially in lower and mid grades. The Superman 204 is probably not a good example. I sold an 8.5 graded Superman/Batman Ft. Wayne retailer variant for more than I would have been able to sell if for raw.

OK,

I'm done.

Thanks.

Welcome to the boards!

Two more question.

What will a signed comic grade for if you have it signed at a con? I was told they would consider this a cover defect. Is it worth having a slab signed once you have had a book graded. I have heard that you have to replace the slab every 7 years, so wouldn't you just end up trashing the signiture?

Unless the signing is witnessed by a CGC Signature Series rep/employee and the book is handed over to this person right after signing, it will get a Green Qualified Label. It is ont a cover defect, depending on if the signature is in an out of the way location or if it obscures the main hero/significant event artwork on the cover.

You can get signatures on slabs, since to people who collect signatures treasure the sig more than the book. foreheadslap.gif

as for the whole 7 year-have to change/reslab issue, it is all a misunderstanding.

The effectiveness with which the microchamber paper continues to do its job by collecting any acids from the inks is basically nil after 7 years...so if you want to replace the MC paper, then go and reslab. But the book is just fine, IMO, at that point for years to come since its exposure to the elements is less and the now inert MC paper is not harmful to the book itself. It just useless at that point.

So what I am thinking is sell it now for $800-900 and then wait until September 16th and buy myself the exact same thing for cheap. I might wait until Aug. 15th and have it graded to sell it, since I don't think there is any reason for the price to drop within two weeks. I really just wanted a good stand out superman comic to add to my collection, but I guess this is not it right now.

Thanks