• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High Comics, Superworld and Comic World

178 posts in this topic

wow after reading this thread I am not sure if I should or should not order anything from MH. I do know that my wife and I went to Denver for a couple of days years ago and I have always wanted to have a church pedigree comic in my collection(well up to that point). So I asked the clerk if he had any in stock, he had a confused look on his face and said he didn't know what I was talking about. So I walked around the store a little bit and then left. I have always thought they where priced pretty high.

Let me clarify something. Mile High would probably not be my first choice for buying comics, If there was an alternate copy elsewhere, where I knew what I was getting, I might try that venue first. Personally I prefer graded books. Unfortunately as I attempt to finish off my high grade Four Color collection I realized, quite some time ago, that I was probably going to have to buy a lot raw and have them graded myself.

I approached Mile High with a VERY skeptical approach as my luck with them had not been good. I went to their store on Jason Street and identified 20-30 comics that they rounded up for me off their wall. Of the 30 or so, probably 23 were over graded by at least a 1/2 grade. There were probably a dozen that were overgraded by at least 1-2 grades. On the other hand, the 6-7 that I ended up buying were easily as good as stated. Additionally, the day I bought them (before Christmas) everything was 60% off the listed price. Not only were the prices excellent, they were priced 30% or so below what they would have charged you to buy the exact same copies on eBay.

Note that these were VERY SPECIFIC books I was looking for that are not easy to find in high grade in the first place. MH does not deal in high grade stuff as a rule on higher priced stuff.

The primary difference between Mile High and Superworld and Comicworld is that I have never had a problem with their grading and as such, I'm OK with the buying sight unseen. With Ted at Superworld He still tends to overgrade (maybe 1/2 a grade) but sometimes it works out as sold and most of the rest of time, with some very reasonable price negotiations, the book is still high enough quality and priced to where I know I can live with it.

I would also note that Metropolis has gotten better. Not only is their grading getting better, they will actually negotiate a little on the "make offer" function these days. Not a lot but maybe 5-10%. They do have an incredible selection which makes them a useful spot to shop. The one caveat I would make about Metropolis. If you are not ready to get your books pressed they will never "grade out". That is if you buy a VF/NM, it's probably going to arrive as a VF or so. After you get it pressed (Quick press usually works for $8) it may end up as a VF/NM, better if you are lucky. I have discovered that places like Metropolis seem to grade books in a fantasy land. That is: "If only this non color breaking crease was not there, this would be a VF/NM." Then they seem to sell it graded at whatever grade it would be if all the correctable flaws were eliminated.In this case, a VF book sold as VF/NM (with the VF/NM price tag) It's a hassle, but again, it offers an alternative to what use to be really poorly graded stuff.

You can critique Chuck for poor grading, but survey the board members here and you will find no shortage of poor graders. Many with high reputations. I have had a hard time buying things from Harley Yee, for example. Last book I bought was a FC 47 (Gene Autry). He sold it as a VF for $400. It came back graded as a Fine. I bought it, it looked OK to me and when it was graded, there was something about a staple not fully attached. My real beef was not that it came back graded lower. My beef is that as a courtesy, I sent Harley an e-mail, telling him what happened. He never even bothered to respond or acknowledge my e-mail. I have bought a few books from him, but JUST LIKE MILE HIGH, it is hit and miss.

On the other hand, Dale Roberts, who sells on the boards all the time, has never sold me a book that arrived at its stated grade. The last book I bought from him (and probably the last I'll buy from him) was a FC 1300 (Comanche’s). Sold on eBay as a VF/NM, it arrived closer to a 7.5. After a full press it graded at an 8.5. In Denver I was going through his bins and found a b book I might be interested in. It was graded 9.0. After pointing out the finger ding and 3/8 crease on the corner I asked if it probably shouldn’t be graded 7.5 or 8.0. He said the price was the price and that was that. So you know what, maybe your purchases from Dale Roberts have been perfect (how many of you have had his books slabbed?), once again, I'll say Chuck at Mile High starts to look very acceptable when compared with this motley crew.

I cannot close without an example of the most incredible customer service I have ever received. The seller is not on the boards, so I will not give his name. Many would know him, however. He sent me a box of File Copy Four Colors (50 or so) thousands of miles across the country, worth close to $15k, for my inspection. I'm not even sure he knows how to find me. Everything I get goes to my PO Box. He knows I am good for it, of course, but what kind of service is that? I have not paid a dime and until we reach agreement he does not want any money. It kind of blows my mind.

I do not intend to single out Harley and Dale ina spitefull fashion, and I’m sure many would defend their purchases. My only point is, before you pick on guys like Chuck too hard; recognize that poor grading seems to be a common problem among some of the “finest”.

I do not intend to single out Harley and Dale...

posting on the internets makes all of us do stuff we don't intend to do.

I'm not going to go to the mat defending Chuck. However, you cannot ignore the fact that he uncovered what is probably even to this day, the most historic comic colllection ever uncovered. He also has one of the largest inventories in teh world. Considering his history, he is actually pretty quiet about his accomplishments.

When you go to the store you might literally find him sweeping, grading, pulling stock, running an auction on Saturday morning, etc. I mean, for the CEO of a relatively large business, he is right down on the floors with the "regular" employees.

I never held the Sandy thing against him. I have no idea if his train of thought was even legitimate. Maybe it was just a stupid mistake. Let he who is without sin throw the first stone on that one. I do know the guy is pretty heavily involved in non profit stuff in certain niches in the Colorado area.

In the end, I do know that on the important question of accurately graded comics he has gotten better.

I used to go to Mile High Comics when Chuck had a location in Anaheim down the street from Disneyland.I would see Chuck there all the time,now with that said.Before I knew any better I would feel like I was always getting ripped off,because the prices were always higher than NM+ and the comic looked like a fine.I asked him why are the prices the way they were,he told me it's because he has alot of overhead and has to pay for his big building and employees.He also stated that he has every comic that one would want,and to that you pay a premium.From that moment I stopped going to his store,and thankfully he closed that store some time later.I think it's a shame he has to give you a code word to finally give you a price close to what the book is even worth.Why go through all that BS,and just give the customer a fair price for the condition of the book?

Chuck is well known for bringing a great collection to light,but lets be honest.He made millions of dollars off that collection,and paid very little for it.He's still making money off people giving noobies sub par books for extremely high prices.

I used to stop by there back in the day.

Unfortunately never found any "pets" to add to my collection.

CAL who used to do the rounds all over the SW...

I thought grading was subjective and what seperated the sellers was the service they provide "after the sale".

The majority of the transaction for some Collectors is the Grade. The Grade.

CAL the Grader...

I thought grading was subjective and what seperated the sellers was the service they provide "after the sale".

Only to a point. Would you like to keep buying books from a dealer who consistently grades as NM but sends you G? But cheerfully sends you refunds hassle-free?

(No, I am not saying anyone under discussion here does that. Just an example).

hm

Nope, and that is where the after the sale piece comes in. If they're willing to be reasonable and wok with you or accept returns...

Only to a point. Would you like to keep buying books from a dealer who consistently grades as NM but sends you G? But cheerfully sends you refunds hassle-free?

hm

Harley and Dale are two of the nicest people you could meet. (thumbs u

Lastly Doug Sulipa at Comicworld is probably the best grader I have run into. It actually looks like he undergrads when you see the books you order. CGC grading tells me it’s actually spot on. His web site is a little difficult to navigate, to say the least, but when he gives a grade you can take it to the bank.

I've heard good things about Doug's grading, and I like the fact that he tries to stock everything, not just the high-dollar stuff.

The sticking point for me has been his ordering system. I don't have a problem buying sight-unseen from a dealer with a good rep. But his system, as I understand it, is: send him a list and then wait to be informed of a) whether it's available b) what condition it is c) what the price is....and the expectation that you're obligated to buy whatever he comes back with.

To my experience, that last part is not true.

I've declined books on several occassions with no repercussions, only friendly professional emails.

His communication is excellent.

Agreed on all parts. Doug's grading is excellent and he's quick to respond and easy to deal with.

+1

+ 2

hm

Going to the extreme, if cons and scammers were A**holes and jerks, would they ever succeed at parting people with their money? This is not a discusion of likeability. I pay for a book, graded accuartely. If the seller is nice, it's icing on the cake. I've talked with both these guys at shows and they come off as very pleasant.

Nope, and that is where the after the sale piece comes in. If they're willing to be reasonable and wok with you or accept returns...

What I am asking is simply if they consistently under-grade books to the point you have to keep sending them back, does the good service in the form of cheerful refunds etc. compensate for that?

I may or may not be about to order some NM- silver age books raw from Superworld. Does anyone have any RECENT (past two years) experience ordering from them in that range? Satisfied or no?

hm

Going to the extreme, if cons and scammers were A**holes and jerks, would they ever succeed at parting people with their money? This is not a discusion of likeability. I pay for a book, graded accuartely. If the seller is nice, it's icing on the cake. I've talked with both these guys at shows and they come off as very pleasant.

Okay you want to talk customer service! Everytime I go to a show that Harley attends he remembers my name.Out of the hundreds of thousands of people he sees around the world he remembers me,and everytime I'm interested in a book he asks me what price that I think the book should go for.I am honest with him,and don't lowball him.He takes the offer.With Dale everytime I have ever bought something from him the grade is usually 1/2 to a full grade higher than he's selling it for.So please forgive me if I don't understand your points here.

I've also had good buying experiences from Harley and Dale. Ted as well. I've never purchased anything significant from Mile High, and after that Hurricane Sandy letter, I never will.

Lastly Doug Sulipa at Comicworld is probably the best grader I have run into. It actually looks like he undergrads when you see the books you order. CGC grading tells me it’s actually spot on. His web site is a little difficult to navigate, to say the least, but when he gives a grade you can take it to the bank.

I've heard good things about Doug's grading, and I like the fact that he tries to stock everything, not just the high-dollar stuff.

The sticking point for me has been his ordering system. I don't have a problem buying sight-unseen from a dealer with a good rep. But his system, as I understand it, is: send him a list and then wait to be informed of a) whether it's available b) what condition it is c) what the price is....and the expectation that you're obligated to buy whatever he comes back with.

To my experience, that last part is not true.

I've declined books on several occassions with no repercussions, only friendly professional emails.

His communication is excellent.

Agreed on all parts. Doug's grading is excellent and he's quick to respond and easy to deal with.

+1

+ 2

+3

I may or may not be about to order some NM- silver age books raw from Superworld. Does anyone have any RECENT (past two years) experience ordering from them in that range? Satisfied or no?

I have and I was satisfied.

I've bought only one book from Ted in the last few years. He graded it 8.0.

I sent it to CGC and they agreed with his grade.

I've bought only one book from Ted in the last few years. He graded it 8.0.

I sent it to CGC and they agreed with his grade.

Out of interest, did you agree with the grade?

i agree with those who describe Ted of Superworld's grading as being hit or miss. Ted is a great guy but who likes the hassle of having to go to the post office to return books? Wish he would sell a lot more CGC books! EJR