• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High Comics, Superworld and Comic World

178 posts in this topic

Admittedly, I am a pretty tough buyer, sending plenty of stuff back to sellers. At one time buying stuff from Mile High Comics or Superworld was incredibly risky and usually a stupid thing to do.

That being said, I have been astonished at the improvement at both outlets and thought I'd give them a plug with this post.

Ted at Superworld, just seems to have digested the Overstreet grading guidelines and I have not gotten a bad book in the last half a dozen or so. In any case he will always promptly refund your money.

Chuck gets a bad rap and I don't think he has ever really deserved it. Even when grading was poor, I don't think he was trying to rip anybody off; he just has people grading books that didn't know what they are doing. In a batch of ten or so I bought recently there were a couple of bad grades and I called up Byron in customer service. He just gave me credit right over the phone based on my personal assesment of the actual grade.

I happen to live near Denver so I go to their Jason Street store every so often. That place is wall to wall comics. You can open and examine whatever you want and their in store discount is usually 50-60% off which actually makes their comics a relative bargain. If you take the time to look around you can actually find some pretty nice stuff. It is hit and miss, but in person you can really find some nice stuff.

Whatever the case, the grading ability in the last 18 months or so has REALLY improved.

Lastly Doug Sulipa at Comicworld is probably the best grader I have run into. It actually looks like he undergrads when you see the books you order. CGC grading tells me it’s actually spot on. His web site is a little difficult to navigate, to say the least, but when he gives a grade you can take it to the bank.

I'll agree with your assessment of Superworld, Ted is great to deal with.

I've never bought from Comicworld so I don't have an opinion on dealing with Doug.

As far as Mile High goes... I've placed orders with them on probably 8 to 10 different occasions. On the first I thought two books were a little overgraded, not too bad though. The second time around they were pretty much what I was expecting. Every time since then that I've tried ordering from them I've gotten the "This item is currently out of stock" email so I don't even bother to look at their stuff anymore.

Doug is "sight unseen" grader.....his VF is NICE.........Ted is better and better for me also. Chuck I've never tried. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Chuck gets a bad rap and I don't think he has ever really deserved it. Even when grading was poor, I don't think he was trying to rip anybody off; he just has people grading books that didn't know what they are doing. In a batch of ten or so I bought recently there were a couple of bad grades and I called up Byron in customer service. He just gave me credit right over the phone based on my personal assesment of the actual grade.

There's the hero of the online operation right there. Byron and I were just talking last week about comic industry changes, and how they have had to tighten down on Mile High's grading to remain competitive.

He has been there for over 6 years now (we talked about that as well), and yet always answers the phone like he just started, is excited to be there, and that you are the most important person he has talked to that day. If Byron was to leave Mile High, there is a high probability I would have less trust buying from Mile High as he always checks my books in advance of any purchase. The guy is a solid customer service provider!

(worship)

Lastly Doug Sulipa at Comicworld is probably the best grader I have run into. It actually looks like he undergrads when you see the books you order. CGC grading tells me it’s actually spot on. His web site is a little difficult to navigate, to say the least, but when he gives a grade you can take it to the bank.

I've heard good things about Doug's grading, and I like the fact that he tries to stock everything, not just the high-dollar stuff.

The sticking point for me has been his ordering system. I don't have a problem buying sight-unseen from a dealer with a good rep. But his system, as I understand it, is: send him a list and then wait to be informed of a) whether it's available b) what condition it is c) what the price is....and the expectation that you're obligated to buy whatever he comes back with.

I've heard good things about Doug's grading, and I like the fact that he tries to stock everything, not just the high-dollar stuff.

The sticking point for me has been his ordering system. I don't have a problem buying sight-unseen from a dealer with a good rep. But his system, as I understand it, is: send him a list and then wait to be informed of a) whether it's available b) what condition it is c) what the price is....and the expectation that you're obligated to buy whatever he comes back with.

And he treats you like a number.

There's almost no one better than Ted to deal with but my experience with his grading is that it's hit and miss.

There's almost no one batter than Ted to deal with but my experience with his grading is that it's hit and miss.

As a batter, he uses steroids. That's the rumor.

Superworld_batter_zps014069de.jpg

To my experience, that last part is not true.

I've declined books on several occassions with no repercussions, only friendly professional emails.

His communication is excellent.

I will never do business with Mile High again. After his attempt to take advantage of the Sandy incident I'd have no interest in his store. I also bought a silver age ASM issue in the store once a few years back when I lived in the area. My wife convinced me to buy it although I felt like it was over priced. Needless to say, when I got home and looked it up it was indeed overpriced. Now I accept onus for that, but looking around their website the last year or so I have noticed that their prices are high across the board. They get beat out by Midtown and Mycomicshop. I usually will fill up a cart of issues from each store and see who which has the best total. Mile High is always the highest.

But his system, as I understand it, is: send him a list and then wait to be informed of a) whether it's available b) what condition it is c) what the price is....and the expectation that you're obligated to buy whatever he comes back with.

What if you just say no thanks? (shrug)

To my experience, that last part is not true.

I've declined books on several occassions with no repercussions, only friendly professional emails.

His communication is excellent.

My comment was based on comments that Doug has made in his market reports in the OSPG. I think it was in this years edition Doug made comments to the affect that he was put out that people request him to put a list of books together and then they don't follow through and buy them.

I'm not saying a person is obligated to buy what Doug puts together. But from Doug's comments I inferred that he expects a person to feel obligated to follow through, though he's not going to come out and say it to the potential buyer.

But it's an inference that I drew, it could just be me.

"Chuck gets a bad rap and I don't think he has ever really deserved it. Even when grading was poor, I don't think he was trying to rip anybody off; he just has people grading books that didn't know what they are doing."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement there.