• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whos/Whys/Whats about grading: questions from a newbie

14 posts in this topic

I'm new to the whole grading thing. I'm just now learning how to grade my "raw" comics and I've been looking into getting some books "slabbed."

But I have some questions. Excuse me if these have all been debated before, but I'm curious and I'm looking for suggestions and advice.

First off, who grades comics? Not what companies are there, but I mean, do only sellers grade their comics? Is there any point for a collector get buy graded comics or to get comics graded if he/she never plans to sell? If I have a really nice copy of an important issue, what's the point of getting it graded if I don't plan to sell it?

And what comics do most people try to get professionally graded or try to buy already graded? Do most people think that only important, key issues are worthy of grading?

Lastly, let's say I wanted to put together a collection of 9.8 copies of an entire run of a particular comic (let's say Marvel Star Wars just to make an easy example). Would it be easier and more costly to buy already graded comics one by one, or trying to find raw versions that could be graded highly?

Thanks for the help. I'm sorry about the long post, but I'm curious and I want to know what I'm getting into before jumping in all the way.

Anyone can grade a comic but not everyone knows how. And to those that do...there would be discrepancies +/- 1/2 a grade. If your not selling, there's not much point in getting a comic graded IMO. Even if you have a real nice copy - no point in getting it graded unless your selling.

The first criteria for getting any comic graded, again IMO would be to do it if your selling. The comic should also be near perfect as most (not all) 8.5's and lower fail to sell for guide so I personally feel it's a waste of money.

I am thinking it would be cheaper to buy 9.8's already graded if that's your minimum grade for a run of Star Wars because most of the perfect one's you buy raw will be graded in the 9.4 range.

Getting a 9.8 run.....wow...that would be something.

I think you will be surprised in the near future CAL.

Hey Death

Suprise me! Suprise me! That would be a most news-breaking thing I can ever recall - and if so, sign me up! Serious!

CAL

Let me just say this: A seminar on grading is closer than you think. gossip.gif

I await with baited breath.... thumbsup2.gif

Might a suggest a Tic-Tac then. flowerred.gif

Yes, "baited breath" would require a Tic-Tac, however, the correct "bated breath" would not . . . devil.gif

hey if you are looking for some marvel stawars i think i have a collection in my garage. Last i checked they were nm i never really read them. If you want i could pick out any nm ones and sell em cheap.

thumbsup2.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

First off, who grades comics? Not what companies are there, but I mean, do only sellers grade their comics? Is there any point for a collector get buy graded comics or to get comics graded if he/she never plans to sell? If I have a really nice copy of an important issue, what's the point of getting it graded if I don't plan to sell it?

You're mostly right; selling a very high grade or expensive comic is the overwhelmingly popular reason to slab. However, some collectors do get their books graded to either prove to themselves or others that their books are as good as they think they are. Several of the guys with some of the finest runs of Silver Age Marvels have submitted their books to establish where their collection "ranks" amongst the finest collections in the world. That's the main reason CGC put up their "Registry," to encourage this type of competitive collecting.

Some people also submit just to get a restoration check. I don't sell much and I've only submitted two comics to get graded, and both of those were to check for restoration shortly after I bought them raw.

I've been thinking about getting some comics slabbed that are high grade Silver/Bronze books that I've got lower-graded copies or reprints of. I generally plan to keep them, but going ahead and getting books that are no-brainers to get slabbed makes it easier to deal them whenever a good trade comes along, or whenever I want another really nice and expensive book that forces me to sell off some of the ones I already own.