• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Practice Bronze Grading : Two copies; different defects

8 posts in this topic

I have up to the grading block two copies of House of Mystery 194:

House of Mystery A

Defects include one light FC breaking crease on spine (top staple) and a tear on back cover that looks like it came from the printer.

Front

t-61887000.jpg

Back

t-61887005.jpg

House of Mystery B

Defects include two large printer creases on the back cover.

Front

t-61887056.jpg

Back

t-61887053.jpg

Grade away!

A: 7.5

B: 9.0

All of this "practice" is of dubious value, unless these books have no "hidden" defects (visible only in person upon angled inspection), and until you bastXXds post the damn grades! confused.gif So....how are we doing? wink.gif

Sterling.. can you get us higher res scans?

It is hard for me to really make an accurate guess.. based on what I see here.

Both appear to be anywhere from the 7.5 - 9.0 range, but it is hard to say for sure.

Can you hook us up?

Z

Unfortunately, I've already packed one to be sent to grider67. They were scanned at high res, just only at 50% size. My bad...

BTW, everyone is in the range I was looking at. I've had a few "professional" graders give me similar grades. Kudos to the board 893applaud-thumb.gif

Interesting comment about the production crease. Comments I've gotten from others is that "it depends on where the production crease is" as far as how it overall impacts the grade. For instance, I got a 6.0 on another book with similar production creases but they were on the FRONT cover.

The tear, regardless of its origin, is a major bummer. I bought that one off of eBay. The other book (with the back cover production creases) was listed as NM- from the Blazing One.

If CGC is reading this, and would like to give me (and the board) some insight on how to treat production creases, I'm patiently listening...

Interesting comment about the production crease. Comments I've gotten from others is that "it depends on where the production crease is" as far as how it overall impacts the grade. For instance, I got a 6.0 on another book with similar production creases but they were on the FRONT cover.

I posted a Cap book a little while ago with a pretty big production crease on the front cover no less, and the book still received a 9.4 grade from CGC.