• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Play on G4?

40 posts in this topic

I've been saying for years that I'd pay $50 a month for 10 channels if I could pick those channels.

Aside from sports, I probably don't watch but 3 channels, and given format shifts through the years, I'm on the verge of being ready to give those up.

Except for live events, news and sports, it's pretty dismal. With 'mid season' breaks and repeats I learned not to even watch series-tv until I can get an entire Season and watch it in consecutive order. Or, if I'm impatient, wait until several episodes are available "On Demand" and maintain story-continuity that way.

I've already had my cable disconnected. Between Netflix and Hulu Plus I don't need it. Been like that for like two years now. I don't miss it.
I'm asking others and surprisingly this is happening more and more. I have no problem paying for what I want to watch WHEN I WANT IT. Paying $100/month and not getting any value from it is for the birds. I have a Leaf to get over the air content and then $16 for Netflix and Hulu Plus. I'm good.

We get burned on certain sports events, but we're adjusting. I'd love to pay for NFL streaming, but those Aholes are only working with cable providers. NBA and others have the right idea.

And if the DirecTV guy in Best Buy comes up to me again, I'm going to sucker punch him.

G4 as a channel is suppose to be going away sometime early this year. We haven't been told yet what is replacing it at work but it is happening soon. (Work for a major cable company).

I heard it was turning into a mens lifestyle channel called the Esquire Channel

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/08/g4-is-officially-becoming-the-esquire-channel

It’s officially the end of an era.

G4 is set to become the Esquire channel, THR reports.

Earlier this year, it was revealed that Attack of the Show and X-Play had been cancelled as G4 made a move to rebrand itself and partner with Esquire or another men’s magazine like GQ in order to tap into a “more upscale, sophisticated guy TV space.”

At the time, the network was considering renaming itself G4Men, among other options. It has now been announced that NBCUniversal plans to rebrand G4 as the Esquire channel.

The idea is to create programming that will appeal to the “untapped metrosexual viewership.” The cable network closed a deal with Esquire parent, Hearst Corporation, and intends to court an upscale viewership that they feel is currently underserved. According to THR, the rebranding efforts will “shift the former gaming network to a destination more in line with the modern male.”

Here's something to get you by.... Sara <3

lol, she has more silicon than California.

Terrible news though and it seems that 99% of TV right now is reality that's shot as cheap as possible and for the dumbest viewers possible.

And as for channels "drifting from their roots" the worst example is TLC (The LEARNING Channel) which is now pure reality freakshow drek and should be called The Lowbrow Channel.

Funny thing is, a lot of people don't even know what TLC means/meant and some friends expressed surprise at what TLC really stands/stood for.

Terrible news though and it seems that 99% of TV right now is reality that's shot as cheap as possible and for the dumbest viewers possible.

And as for channels "drifting from their roots" the worst example is TLC (The LEARNING Channel) which is now pure reality freakshow drek and should be called The Lowbrow Channel.

Funny thing is, a lot of people don't even know what TLC means/meant and some friends expressed surprise at what TLC really stands/stood for.

TLC rebranded from "the learning channel" a few years ago, not sure exactly when. But go to their site, and their press releases and those words are never mentioned, uttered, or shown anywhere...

It probably comes down to $$.

Let's see how long Esquire will last. Will all the Metro's and Elitists flock to it?

Megabucks in the gaming industry:

Forbes: Video Game Industry Will Reach $82 Billion By 2017

"A series of new reports from DFC Intelligence forecasts that the global market for video games is expected to grow from $67 billion in 2012 to $82 billion in 2017."

Probably big money in shiny shoes, fancy pants and Brie too. But, damn. :o

TLC rebranded from "the learning channel" a few years ago, not sure exactly when. But go to their site, and their press releases and those words are never mentioned, uttered, or shown anywhere...

I know and that's what I'm talking about, and I even included means/meant and stands/stood for in my reply just to make sure. :whistle: TLC is no longer The Learning Channel but it used to be at one time.

I know and that's what I'm talking about, and I even included means/meant and stands/stood for in my reply just to make sure. :whistle: TLC is no longer The Learning Channel but it used to be at one time.

Years ago, The Learning Channel had some great progamming. Historical, scientific stuff. :(

It probably comes down to $$.

That's probably why they are doing it as reality tv shot on low budgets is dirt cheap to make and a lot of these shoes have openly metro-etc-sexual leads in them, and are already shown on lots of low-brow networks like Slice, Twist, Reality, etc.

There seems to be a big audience of very stupid people who will watch this Reality TV drek so it's only natural that this new channel will probably show a lot of it.