• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Joe Kubert great ??

137 posts in this topic

Kubert is meh to me. :eyeroll:

Though I do like him more than Kirby or Ditko.

So who do you like?

Frazetta, Jones, Wrightson, Davis, Wood, Ingels, Kaluta, Corben...

So, a horror fan then?

Jones ?? like in Jeffery ? hack hack koff koff wretch ..... :baiting:

I certainly hope he didn't mean Kelley Jones

Yes, he was. Extremely prolific - inconsistent, maybe - but a great visual storyteller.

Yes! Great, great visual storyteller. It made sense he started a school.

Agreed. He also didn't need a ton of lines to get his point across.

Kubert was a great artist. War, horror, science fiction, westerns - all great.

I would like to recommend this book to anyone who ....

a. likes Joe Kubert

b. is interested in the history of american comic books

c. wants to learn something about the benefits of hard work

d. simply loves everything about comic books, from way back when, to right now.

Kubertbiobook.jpg

The cover kinda sucks.... but its a good read (thumbs u

An absolute legend! He will go down as one of the greatest, most influential artists in all of comicdom.

I, like many, it seems, felt his art was very scratchy and simplistic, but when you enjoy a war book, you pick up another. Before I knew it, I had read loads of war books. What kept me interested? The stories, I'm sure, but the artwork drew me in, time after time. It's not flashy, it's not McFarlane, it's Joe friggin' Kubert, and it's real. It's gritty and it's beautiful. Maybe it takes a while for it to "grow" on people, but before you realize it, a light goes on and bing, you understand how well drawn his work really was.

You may think it looks simple and drawn quickly, but that's his mastery at work.

A true genius of the medium.

Rest in peace, Joe Kubert. (worship)

Andy

Kubert was a great artist. War, horror, science fiction, westerns - all great.

I would like to recommend this book to anyone who ....

a. likes Joe Kubert

b. is interested in the history of american comic books

c. wants to learn something about the benefits of hard work

d. simply loves everything about comic books, from way back when, to right now.

Kubertbiobook.jpg

The cover kinda sucks.... but its a good read (thumbs u

:o:makepoint:

I think his art is perfect for war comics: grimy and gritty with real men trying to kill each other. His work on Hawkman stands out as well. And he drew the art in the Army PMCS manuals; how cool is that? I think he's a legend.

That's kind of what I think too. There's some things that his style really compliments - Hawkman, war comics - but when he did Batman.... :eek:

joe_kubert_Batman_chronicles_Gallery_30.jpg

it wasn't his best work

Yeah, Job Kubert is good, but Russ Andrus of Amazing Spider-man fame is probably the best artist of his time, I'll take a Russ Andrus over a Wrightson, N. Adams, BWS, or any of those other great artist of this time period. Rass Andrew, Ross Andu, ah, I forget how to spell his name, I think he was good, I can't remember.

Yeah, Job Kubert is good, but Russ Andrus of Amazing Spider-man fame is probably the best artist of his time, I'll take a Russ Andrus over a Wrightson, N. Adams, BWS, or any of those other great artist of this time period. Rass Andrew, Ross Andu, ah, I forget how to spell his name, I think he was good, I can't remember.

Ross Andru

Kubert is meh to me. :eyeroll:

Though I do like him more than Kirby or Ditko.

So who do you like?

Frazetta, Jones, Wrightson, Davis, Wood, Ingels, Kaluta, Corben...

So, a horror fan then?

Jones ?? like in Jeffery ? hack hack koff koff wretch ..... :baiting:

I certainly hope he didn't mean Kelley Jones

Kelley Jones is one of my modern favorites. I'd read a Strawberry Shortcake comic if he drew it. (hi Greggy :) )

His art is much stronger when he inks it himself. Batman Gotham After Midnight and the Unseen series are beautifully drawn. Check em out if you haven't seen them yet. It's much different than his work from the nineties.

I think his art is perfect for war comics: grimy and gritty with real men trying to kill each other. His work on Hawkman stands out as well. And he drew the art in the Army PMCS manuals; how cool is that? I think he's a legend.

That's kind of what I think too. There's some things that his style really compliments - Hawkman, war comics - but when he did Batman.... :eek:

it wasn't his best work

Is this a Golden Age story? The costume looks a lot like an early Detective Comics version, apart from the yellow circle.

Ross Andru

Ross Andru, oh, that guy. I was mistaken, Ross Andru was aweful. Now I remember, I remember skimming pass every Ross Andru comic I came across in my local comic shop, most uninspiring art I have ever seen.

it wasn't his best work

Is this a Golden Age story? The costume looks a lot like an early Detective Comics version, apart from the yellow circle.

signed 96, maybe its from Batman Chronicles that came out in 97

it wasn't his best work

signed 96, maybe its from Batman Chronicles that came out in 97

It's from a gallery issue. The clothing looks quite retro, so assuming it's 30s / 40s then the costume works. The cowl looks right.