• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sin City Release Date: April 1, 2005

33 posts in this topic

Never did get into this book...whats the premise behind it?

a city "out-side the laws " of a real city. think 30's black and white films,think Philip Marrlow ,

Humphery Bogart.

With more violence and sex.

And violence.

And bullets.

And sex.

And crazy black and white art.

And miho.

And panels like this:

558316-marvgold.jpg

558316-marvgold.jpg.079b5e54d24cc6cf4f21628b30feabfb.jpg

a city "out-side the laws " of a real city. think 30's black and white films,think Philip Marrlow ,

Humphery Bogart.

And violence.

And bullets.

And sex.

And miho.

And panels like this:

558316-marvgold.jpg

Sounds pretty good....is it worth picking up?

Great panel in San Diego about this film. Robert Rodriguez talked a mile a minute about the genesis of the project and the whole production.

They showed clips that were pretty darn cool. The film is in B&W, and I mean BLACK and white, not gray and white like you usually get with a B&W film. They'll occasionally add a single color, as is sometimes done in the comic. For example, a woman's dress might be red while the rest of the shot is B&W.

Most of the dialogue is lifted directly from the comics, and most of the shots are exact matches of panels from the books. Rodriguez explained that he feels Miller directed the film when he drew the comics, so why change anything. Tarantino also directs a sequence in the film. Rodriguez and Miller said the day Tarantino was directing was the funnest day of the shoot.

The film will mix 3 different story arcs, but they shot each arc seperately, so on the eventual DVD, you'll have the option of watching the film as you saw it in the theatre, or just watching one arc at a time.

The film definitely has its own style. Definitely very film noir, but not like we've seen it before. And the girls look GREAT.

Humphery Bogart.

And violence.

And bullets.

And sex.

And miho.

And panels like this:

558316-marvgold.jpg

Just read the first trade this weekend and enjoyed it a lot.

If you've read any Jim Thompson, then this is in that neighborhood but with a little more punch. Fortunately my local library has most of the others in the series. Up next: That Yellow [!@#%^&^]!

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

If you've read any Jim Thompson, then this is in that neighborhood but with a little more punch. Fortunately my local library has most of the others in the series. Up next: That Yellow [!@#%^&^]!

That's the fourth book. A Dame To Kill For and The Big Fat Kill are #s 2 and 3 respectively.

That's the fourth book. A Dame To Kill For and The Big Fat Kill are #s 2 and 3 respectively.

Right, but they didn't get as good of reviews. What's your opinion?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I liked them a lot. Not as much as the first, but they were still cool. The Big Fat Kill is the third book that they're adapting (along with That Yellow [!@#%^&^] and Sin City)

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. If I like That Yellow [!@#%^&^], then I'll keep reading them.

Humphery Bogart.

And violence.

And bullets.

And sex.

And miho.

And panels like this:

558316-marvgold.jpg

If you like Frank Miller, it is essential reading. Period.

558235-cc-sincity2.jpg

The Laddies Are The Law Here, Beautifull And Merciless. If You've Got The Cash And You Play By The Rules, They'll Make All Your Dreams Come True. But Cross Them And You A Corpse.

Frank Miller The Big Fat Kill A Tale From Sin City.