• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to value a sketch

18 posts in this topic

Howdy folks I am looking for a good way to value my collection of sketch covers. I have a trip to Europe planned this spring and I may need to sell my collection to help fund it. I know they are worth what someone would pay for them but I really don't want to over price them but I don't want to under price them as well.

Obviously there are lots of factors, artist, characters, type (pencil, marker, etc) and the overall appeal. I would check to see if the artists have done a sketch op in the past year and use what was charged for that as a baseline. But ultimately price them at what you think is fair and let people know you will listen to offers. Hope this helps.

you can toss them on ebay and let the market decide....

notify the people here though as well that you're doing it.

I've only been in the sketch cover game for about two years now, and it's a constant learning process. I don't have any advice, specifically - but you may want to keep track of other like-artist sales. In an excel document or something. That's what I do with certain artists - so I can make sure if I need to offer, I'm in the right ballpark.

It's good to know because if someone low balls you, you have some information to throw back at them, which may allow them to rethink their offer and bring it up to a more realistic one.

GLWT (eventual) S

If you sell online, open them at "break-even" then you're being honest and forthright about not overcharging and if they sell with 1 bid, you're good, if they don't sell, you know you might have to adjust, but if the bids exceed what you paid, the market dictates the value and you know you didn't over price them, the market took care of that.

Never start auctions at $0.01 or less than what you can afford to sell them at, unless you have a reserve. Most bidders don't like reserve auctions 'tho.

If you feel you've invested into acquiring the collection, and don't like auctions, I think marking them 20% over your cost covers your overhead of whatever measures you took to get them, whether it was time or money to go to conventions or wait in lines, and is fair.

You'll know which ones to charge more for and which to charge less for. The bigger names are those artists whose published work has a fan following like Adam Hughes, J.Scott Campbell and the like. The lesser names are those who may put a lot of effort into the rendering but when you tell people their name they respond "who?"

Howdy folks I am looking for a good way to value my collection of sketch covers. I have a trip to Europe planned this spring and I may need to sell my collection to help fund it. I know they are worth what someone would pay for them but I really don't want to over price them but I don't want to under price them as well.

The lesser names are those who may put a lot of effort into the rendering but when you tell people their name they respond "who?"

:(

My collection has too little T&A and too many "Who?"s.

If you sell online, open them at "break-even" then you're being honest and forthright about not overcharging and if they sell with 1 bid, you're good, if they don't sell, you know you might have to adjust, but if the bids exceed what you paid, the market dictates the value and you know you didn't over price them, the market took care of that.

Never start auctions at $0.01 or less than what you can afford to sell them at, unless you have a reserve. Most bidders don't like reserve auctions 'tho.

IMO this is excellent advice.

It comes down to your drivers, but generally (unless you're desperate) I would assume it's not worth selling if you don't at least break even.

This is what I do. And I get my head done in by shill bidding etc on eBay and won't rebid on an item out of principle when they've shilled me out of range and then re-list it.

This is also probably the best way to ensure a sale. There are some MAAAASSIVELY overpriced books on eBay. Stuff I've picked up off a boardie here for $80 you can find on eBay for $250 etc. These never seem to sell, because unsurprisingly, the biggest section of the market know what they're bidding on. (Not sketch covers obviously, which makes it even worse!)

The only other advice I would recommend would be using a tool like gpanalysis.com to see what the books you plan on selling have been selling for over the past year or so. I think I remember seeing sketches show up in there under the "0's" etc. This will give you an idea of the so-called market value.. but, in my opinion, the market value is only what the buyer is willing to pay at that particular moment in time.

Again, it's all down to just how desperate you are for the coin and whether you're willing to walk away with your skyrocket a little bit lighter than it should be.

-Do a search of CGC Sketch Cover Completed Listings on ebay.

-Get a base idea of similar product to yours.

-If it is a bad sketch be happy getting your cost back. (Commission + CGC)

-If it is a good sketch start it at $50 above cost and see where it goes from there.

Good Luck

the market value is only what the buyer is willing to pay at that particular moment in time.

This is a consideration too. Certain artist demand seems to fluctuate wildly, sometimes within a few weeks.

T&A sells the best.

True story. That's all I buy, with the exception of one Wolvie cover. T&A is good way to protect your resell value on sketch covers.