• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Keys

37 posts in this topic

Maybe I should be more specific.

2000 - now books that are worth more than $10, other than the obvious Walking Dead.

For example, is there anything from "52" that is a key issue, stuff like that.

Are you talking variants too ? Well, here's a partial list :

Revival 1 1:10 & sketch variant

Batman 1 new 52 EVS & regular cover

Batman 1 1:200 variant

Justice League 1 1:200 variant

Detective 1 New 52

Detective 1 variant

Batman 4

Peter Panzelfaust 1

Thief of Thieves 1 (all covers)

ASM 678 MJ as Venom variant

ASM 688 Variant

Batgirl 13

Catwoman 13

Saga 1

Think Tank 1 and variant

2000 - now books that are worth more than $10, other than the obvious Walking Dead.

Detective 1 New 52

Detective 1 variant

Batman 4

Peter Panzelfaust 1

ASM 688 Variant

Batgirl 13

Catwoman 13

Saga 1

Think Tank 1 and variant

add USM 1 all covers, to that list good sir

and like I posted in the other modern key thread, wolverine #1 deadpool variant, only if we are including variants.

siege #3 deadpool variant

batman 608 rrp

USM 160 variants

Ten dollars is kind of a low threshold. With cover prices nearly half that every comic that got hot for a minute on eBay would qualify. I doubt any regular versions of any big hyped Marvel or DC event will have any long term appeal.

i agree on the $10 thing. not even worth the hassle of selling something for $10 on eBay

It certainly is.

If you buy stuff cheaply, and ensure that fees etc are covered in the shipping and handling charge (helps with the 50 free listings a month too) - then $8-9 profit is certainly worth my while for writing out an ad.

After that it's just relist after a sale.

As you probably know I have multiples of a couple of covers which cost virtually nothing so $20 odd a week from those two adds up in the old paypal account.

It actually enabled me to buy a ToD #10 (9.4), Tec #66 (3.0) and DD #168 (9.4) recently on the back of selling those 2 books throughout the year.

I'll take that every year.

I would agree with you that of course,you need to be selling $500+ comics as well if you intend buying better books, but never discount the value of a cheap,but weekly sale or two!

i hear you Andy, but it's a lot of effort to run eBay auctions properly. A lot of people do do it though. Just for me personally it's not worth selling a book here and there.

I see both side.... Prefer not to sell raw singes at low prices (hassle), but will sell lots and bulk listings raw occasionally. And I do sell some raws, but it is a hassle (not much $$$ and potential for grade debates).

Then again, selling a few raw singles can help alleviate/offset eBay fees....

Detective 1 New 52

Detective 1 variant

Batman 4

Peter Panzelfaust 1

ASM 688 Variant

Batgirl 13

Catwoman 13

Saga 1

Think Tank 1 and variant

This makes me happy as I have a few of those bat books, plus batgirl and catwoman. All raw though. Working on getting some slabbed copies. Andy, have you found a kickass way to get slabs here in Aus or do you submit yourself?

i agree on the $10 thing. not even worth the hassle of selling something for $10 on eBay

The thing that is blowing my mind is some of the prices for raw books on there... for example, I won a "sketch" b&w cover for Batman 14 on eBay for $20 last week.. and now when I search the other listings for it are in the range of $45 - 85 plus shipping. Same deal for the B&W Sketch variant for Batman 15, which I picked up for $15 from the brisbane comic shop via mailorder.

Seriously? Surely they're not that rare. Or are these sellers just hunting for mugs who will pay the price?

I can see both sides of the discussion as well.- it certainly isn't for everyone (ebay selling).

I have a lot of 'quiet-time' at work - so I have lots of time during and after work to list.

I quite enjoy it tbh.

The other big plus is that if you are good to your buyers,they very often return to buy more expensive books.

The only raws I sell are bulk buys that I split, speculative comics or rejects from 9.8 pre-screening!!

Detective 1 New 52

Detective 1 variant

Batman 4

Peter Panzelfaust 1

ASM 688 Variant

Batgirl 13

Catwoman 13

Saga 1

Think Tank 1 and variant

This makes me happy as I have a few of those bat books, plus batgirl and catwoman. All raw though. Working on getting some slabbed copies. Andy, have you found a kickass way to get slabs here in Aus or do you submit yourself?

The thing that is blowing my mind is some of the prices for raw books on there... for example, I won a "sketch" b&w cover for Batman 14 on eBay for $20 last week.. and now when I search the other listings for it are in the range of $45 - 85 plus shipping. Same deal for the B&W Sketch variant for Batman 15, which I picked up for $15 from the brisbane comic shop via mailorder.

Seriously? Surely they're not that rare. Or are these sellers just hunting for mugs who will pay the price?

There is no really cheap option mate tbh but if you take time to hunt about and make contacts then it can certainly ease the pain of slabbing a comic.

I can buy,slab and recieve a book at home for about $25 - $30 now - but that is in bulk shipping.