• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Profit margin really only works when you are having someone else do the work. I look at comics like this - my time is worth X per hour, if I turn X 'profit' per book, how many books would I need to process per hour to make it worth my time. I can pack label and ship around 12 packages per hour. If my 'profit' is only $2.00 per package then I make $24.00 per hour. This does not account for any other time, fees, supplies, taxes, books that never sell for cover, returns, wine spills, other disasters and whatnot. This would have been great 20 years ago, but now, not so much. (shrug) Flipping is a young man's game. :preach:

I wonder where viperdayz is. I was thinking of him when we started talking crazy numbers

I am sure he is lurking, my passive aggressive pot shots at his business model havent flushed him out, and I am generally trying to behave lol

I made peace with Hulk, so I might as well make peace with viper too.

Profit margin really only works when you are having someone else do the work. I look at comics like this - my time is worth X per hour, if I turn X 'profit' per book, how many books would I need to process per hour to make it worth my time. I can pack label and ship around 12 packages per hour. If my 'profit' is only $2.00 per package then I make $24.00 per hour. This does not account for any other time, fees, supplies, taxes, books that never sell for cover, returns, wine spills, other disasters and whatnot. This would have been great 20 years ago, but now, not so much. (shrug) Flipping is a young man's game. :preach:

nice post mldynes, my view is, if you are going to order 100s, just cut out the middle man. You might as well just start an account and order from Diamond. The requirements are low, and online stores are allowed. You would already be ordering in excess of the monthly minimums

Flipping high quality/margin with lower numbers, is definitely much easier than being low margin high volume.

Very well said. (Except that I manage to pack, label and ship about 3 packages an hour.) lol

Very well said. (Except that I manage to pack, label and ship about 3 packages an hour.) lol

Your package is probably larger than mine :insane:

Flipping is indeed a young mans game.

I have yet to transfer any of my profits out of my paypal account but I've been able to build an expensive collection for myself

Don't get me wrong youngster, I like to buy and resell books, I'm just not into flipping penny stocks.

I have yet to transfer any of my profits out of my paypal account but I've been able to build an expensive collection for myself

Don't get me wrong youngster, I like to buy and resell books, I'm just not into flipping penny stocks.

Double cover is a lot of money for some of the guys around here. Time that can be spent making real money....

Edited by wushugushu

I HAVE

Double cover is a lot of money for some of the guys around here. Time that can be spent making real money....

I'm not sure exactally what you are saying but I agree with this part.

anyone writing comics post 1980 has to be aware that its a collecting hobby as well as a reading hobby. I think they would view it with mixed reactions.

-thanks for the money

-dont crash my book by hoarding it

type deal.

I genuinely hope Hickman never reads this thread. Same goes for most other creators of moderns. I honestly can't imagine what they would think about 95%+ of posts being about how people can or can't make money off their books.

Yeah. I tried making that point once when people were :banana: and :whee: right in front of a creator because the print run of their comic was tiny. My point wasn't received too well by the forum regulars, unfortunately, so prepare for the potential backlash.

I genuinely hope Hickman never reads this thread. Same goes for most other creators of moderns. I honestly can't imagine what they would think about 95%+ of posts being about how people can or can't make money off their books.

Yeah. I tried making that point once when people were :banana: and :whee: right in front of a creator because the print run of their comic was tiny. My point wasn't received too well by the forum regulars, unfortunately, so prepare for the potential backlash.

The point might be better made by someone who doesn't also advocate for pirated downloads in this same forum. doh!

They probably wouldn't care.

They know they still have an audience that actually cares about their work

Speculation leads to sales which gives the creators the ability to continue to do what they enjoy/love and make a living doing it. Increased sales gives them more leeway and bargaining power regarding their ideas/desires for future books/projects.

Also many users here seem to only speculate enough to make their comic book hobby self sustaining. Meaning they only sell enough on the secondary market to cover what they buy to read and/or collect.