• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

got high and reread it last night.

has a big preacher feel to it, which is good because Red Team #2 was a big disappointment.

Jimmy.....so what are the best "high" reads you have burnt across lately?????

Just think of what these modern comics are going to be worth is 15 years. Before the mid 2000's comics had print runs of 150,000 and plenty more. Most of your late silver and bronze key issues had print runs much higher than most of the books these days.

Very true. 50k-ish is still small compared to the top selling comics from the big two, and still tiny overall. It actually makes me wonder why books like TWD #1 aren't worth more.

Because the number of comic readers has been and will continue to shrink. When the top selling comic books are selling 20-30,000, we'll all think the 50,000 print run is huge.

has a big preacher feel to it, which is good because Red Team #2 was a big disappointment.

Jimmy.....so what are the best "high" reads you have burnt across lately?????

Lot 13 was really good.

Sweet Tooth was really good.

Fury Max was really good

Joe Casey and Ziggy Marley's "Marijuanaman" was just ok.

Just think of what these modern comics are going to be worth is 15 years. Before the mid 2000's comics had print runs of 150,000 and plenty more. Most of your late silver and bronze key issues had print runs much higher than most of the books these days.

Very true. 50k-ish is still small compared to the top selling comics from the big two, and still tiny overall. It actually makes me wonder why books like TWD #1 aren't worth more.

Because the number of comic readers has been and will continue to shrink. When the top selling comic books are selling 20-30,000, we'll all think the 50,000 print run is huge.

And the majority of comic readers read trades. How many people do you know that read the trades of Walking Dead, versus the issues?

I can count on one hand the people I know who go to the LCS to pick up the Walking Dead or Saga, yet know dozens that go to amazon and order the trades.

Is it better high? :idea:

Posts like this make me miss college...

I ordered 3 copies on Friday. I hope I got it in before they changed to limiting of 1 copy. However my card has not been charged yet.

You would think they would honor 3 copies. 20 + is when it's really pushing it.

And the majority of comic readers read trades. How many people do you know that read the trades of Walking Dead, versus the issues?

I can count on one hand the people I know who go to the LCS to pick up the Walking Dead or Saga, yet know dozens that go to amazon and order the trades.

Unfortunately, the majority of people I know wouldn't read a comic book (TPB or otherwise) if I gave them the copies to read each and every month. I could count with one hand (and have a couple of fingers left over) the total number of people I know that read comics, TPB or not.

Also, where did you read that the majority of comic readers read TPBs? I'd love to see a source for this information.

I was sarcastically responding to a statement concerning print runs and how small 50,000 copies look. 50,000 copies in February 2013 would land you in the top 35 titles for the month. That doesn't seem that small to me. I remember when 200,000 copies looked like a small print run. Then 150,000 copies and then 100,000 copies. Is it really unreasonable to see that someday 50,000 copies might be the number of copies for the best selling titles (top 10 titles)? While it is great we've had a rebound from the lows of a few years ago (but only slightly, as 85,000 copies still lands you in the top 10 titles, 20,000 copies will get you around the 100th rank, and a mere 8000 copies will get you around the 200th rank), I'm guessing we'll test those lows again and then some.

And anyone who cannot see that comic readership has shrunk over the years is deluding themselves, TPBs or no TPBs. When I was a kid, comics were not popular, but it was easy to find other kids that read comics. But then, comics were accessible (both in content, price, and physical location in stores.) Today, not so much. There are too many other ways for people to spend their money on entertainment they enjoy. Comic book movies? Absolutely. Comic books? No way.