• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

I had no problems following the storyline. In fact, this is the book that solidifies everything that has happened so far.

Exactly how I feel. Reading it I didnt think for one second that I would read that people were having issues following along

+1

I've been confused by comics on the past but this reads quite easily to me. I find the map of territories at the back of issue 1 helps me a lot, much like a map of Westeros helps reading GoT.

Really enjoyed #3, apart from Mao V there were no new characters so it focused more on fleshing out the existing ones.

Happy to try and answer any questions people may have about #3 if it helps someone stick with the title.

complexity is the best possible thing a comic book can have for me to enjoy it. Comics arent for kids anymore, its adult literature. Pointless violence or sex anyone can write, I want a good story that makes you think and isnt predictable or a series of cliches strung together.

I agree completely with this, but there seems to be an implication that anyone who doesn't like East of West is too stupid to understand it.

Speaking only for myself, I have no issues understanding the story - it just doesn't grip me. I'm not really interested in the characters or the world yet. That's not a Hickman problem, I'm a big fan of nearly everything else he's ever written, especially Manhattan Projects.

Anyway, the above should be qualified by the fact that I haven't read issue 3 yet. I intend to do that, and a few more, before deciding whether to continue with the series or not. But I want to defend the people who don't like it much yet against accusations of stupidity!

Here's the breakdown of East of West.

EoW 1 cgc 9.8 blue average $50

Ghost Variant SS $90

Forbidden Planet 9.8 blue $120

RRP raw $200 cgc 9.8 $600

This is just within the last week based on cgc boards sales, and ebay

I think that the rrp ss will probably go for as high as $700 and then back down to $300 - $400..because of the dealers and members holding out for the Hickman signing.

This is all opinionated

Just read #3 last night. Anybody else have a Printing error on the inside "title" page (approx. inside pg 4-5 I think?) Both my pull copies have a straight vertical crease running the length of the book in the same spot.

Not really worth it to make a fuss at the shop, and of course I didn't open the bag and board (free on Wed) to double check.

Wondering if my books were just part of a bad lot or if the whole run had this.

Edited by Rhymenoceros

I had no problems following the storyline. In fact, this is the book that solidifies everything that has happened so far.

Exactly how I feel. Reading it I didnt think for one second that I would read that people were having issues following along

+1

I've been confused by comics on the past but this reads quite easily to me. I find the map of territories at the back of issue 1 helps me a lot, much like a map of Westeros helps reading GoT.

Really enjoyed #3, apart from Mao V there were no new characters so it focused more on fleshing out the existing ones.

Happy to try and answer any questions people may have about #3 if it helps someone stick with the title.

I was actually wondering how people who find this book confusing keep up with GoT :insane:

This is just my opinion but I tend to think if someone doesn't like a book its very easy to say its confusing. That way they don't have to come out and say I don't like it because I don't like it.

I haven't read #3 yet but I'm digging this story. (thumbs u

This is just my opinion but I tend to think if someone doesn't like a book its very easy to say its confusing. That way they don't have to come out and say I don't like it because I don't like it.

Why would anyone be worried about saying they don't like a book?

Its just an excuse to say I don't like it cause it was too confusing.

Interesting data:

IGN rating on each issue of East of West:

Issue 1: 8

Issue 2: 9

Issue 3: 7.8

Honestly, I had Issue 1 rated a bit lower, but the other ratings are about spot on for me.

Huh?

Your original post said that people who didn't like it would prefer to say "it's confusing" than "I don't like it", right? I'm asking why people would prefer to appear stupid than to simply say "I don't like it". Your post above makes it look like you're saying people who are confused would prefer to pretend that they aren't confused, they just don't like it.

Now I am confused - which may have been what you were aiming for in a very meta way.

Well played.

Huh?

Your original post said that people who didn't like it would prefer to say "it's confusing" than "I don't like it", right? I'm asking why people would prefer to appear stupid than to simply say "I don't like it". Your post above makes it look like you're saying people who are confused would prefer to pretend that they aren't confused, they just don't like it.

Now I am confused - which may have been what you were aiming for in a very meta way.

Well played.

INCEPTION CONFUSION zzz:makepoint:

Looking forward to reading #3 tonight!

I really enjoyed the first 2 issues so hopefully this one continues the trend... some of your reviews have me nervous.