• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Wow, 300 copies on the EoW RRP?? Nice!

I agree, that it a pet peeve for many that these books are referred to as RRP's, but whatever... I guess RRP is becoming the "go to" acronym for books like this one. Look at Saga #1, PP #10, etc.

Minor pet peeve, but they're not RRP's-- they're retailer incentive variants. Right?

I think RRP is more accurate in this case, as it was created for the retailer summit. Retailer incentive covers are an "incentive" for ordering a certain number of copies of a particular book. RRP = "Retailer Roundtable Promotion"...a comic book that is a gift for attending the retailer summit.

Minor pet peeve, but they're doh! not RRP's-- they're retailer incentive variants. Right?

I think RRP is more accurate in this case, as it was created for the retailer summit. Retailer incentive covers are an "incentive" for ordering a certain number of copies of a particular book. RRP = "Retailer Roundtable Promotion"...a comic book that is a gift for attending the retailer summit.

Sweet! (thumbs u thanks! I honestly was honestly always wondering - what the heck RRP actually stood for! doh!

Minor pet peeve, but they're not RRP's-- they're retailer incentive variants. Right?

The thing I don't get though, CGC notes RRP right? This book just is noted as a Variant copy. That makes me wonder...

And 300 copies? Wow that is an incredibly low print run.

I'm going to be totally honest though, I don't see this book taking off like we think it will. The book is good, but it is no where near the level of Saga or WD. There is just too much speculation right now and I think it is hurting some of these modern books. I also don't think the cover has the eye appeal.

We will see, but even Saga has sort of maintained where it is on the market. I have a SS copy of number 1, and they aren't even moving on eBay anymore. I tried to sell it to my LCS in a trade and he wouldn't have it. He didn't think he'd move it as he said his sales of the book had slowed.

I also think the Sixth Gun debacle is going to hurt the modern speculators.

Time will tell, but we are barely three issues in to this series and people seem to be getting ahead of themselves.

The thing I don't get though, CGC notes RRP right? This book just is noted as a Variant copy. That makes me wonder...

I'm going to be totally honest though, I don't see this book taking off like we think it will. The book is good, but it is no where near the level of Saga or WD. There is just too much speculation right now and I think it is hurting some of these modern books. I also don't think the cover has the eye appeal.

We will see, but even Saga has sort of maintained where it is on the market. I have a SS copy of number 1, and they aren't even moving on eBay anymore. I tried to sell it to my LCS in a trade and he wouldn't have it. He didn't think he'd move it as he said his sales of the book had slowed.

Time will tell, but we are barely three issues in to this series and people seem to be getting ahead of themselves.

That's just matter of opinion really. I think Saga is over-rated. I like it but I don't find it mind-blowing. I think East of West is way better. I also don't like TWD.

I think East of West has masses of potential and it's in my top 5 current books, though I'm hesitant to put it there before at least one arc is finished. The world that's being built is massive, the characters are strong (and awesome) and I do believe this will really take off once the first trade is out. Oh and when lots of websites name it comic of the year in December ;-)

I agree and I prefer Hickman's work on Manhattan Projects, much better book than East of West.

I agree and I prefer Hickman's work on Manhattan Projects, much better book than East of West.

+1 on MP. To me that is a once in a decade book. I just love it.

I like EoW a lot, but I just can't see it having the wide appeal it would need to translate into a strong investment. Same with Saga, which I agree is an ok read that is way overrated. To me, neither of those books has what WD has going for it, which is a fairly simple and easily relatable concept that has very broad appeal. This isn't to say that WD is a simple book, I enjoy it and like the complex development we've seen in it, but you could go up to anyone and explain the concept of that book in one sentence and have even a non comic reader get it and get pumped about it. Any issue of WD can also serve as a jumping in point for that reason. Neither EoW nor Saga have that easy relatability or lend themselves to simple explanations. If I tried to explain either to my non comic reading friends, or gave them random non #1 issues to read, they'd likely be like "WTF is this?" To me that is the biggest difference between just about any book and WD in terms of investing and potential for more than a quick flip.

That's just matter of opinion really. I think Saga is over-rated. I like it but I don't find it mind-blowing. I think East of West is way better. I also don't like TWD.

I think East of West has masses of potential and it's in my top 5 current books, though I'm hesitant to put it there before at least one arc is finished. The world that's being built is massive, the characters are strong (and awesome) and I do believe this will really take off once the first trade is out. Oh and when lots of websites name it comic of the year in December ;-)

See how I look at it: Both WD and Saga have done something different than mainstream comics. WD has done an outstanding job selling the black and white comic. It looks different then mainstream books, but the story is also of a high quality. Saga has also done something different with the artwork. The way the captions are added to the art is way different then anything on the market right now. And again it has a solid story to go along with the art.

Both books are also in a very unique genre. WD is the pinnacle of the horror genre while Saga is a solid science fiction read.

Also, in both books you fall in love with the characters. They are more character pieces than comics.

Now what has East of West done differently? The artwork is solid, but it doesn't look different then anything else on the market. I think indie books do well when the art is unique. The story is good right now, but I don't feel invested in a character. Death is probably the stand out character, but I don't like him (I don't think we are supposed too).

I'm really not saying this is a bad book. I think it is good so far. But I just don't think it is going to have the same mass appeal the two other mentioned books do.

I'd love Hickman to prove me wrong though...