• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Any issue of WD can also serve as a jumping in point for that reason. Neither EoW nor Saga have that easy relatability or lend themselves to simple explanations. If I tried to explain either to my non comic reading friends, or gave them random non #1 issues to read, they'd likely be like "WTF is this?" To me that is the biggest difference between just about any book and WD in terms of investing and potential for more than a quick flip.

That is a good point as well.

I'd also add, East of West and Saga could NOT be turned in to a cost effective show. That also makes for less popularity.

Heck, I don't think either could be turned in to a feature length movie either.

Any issue of WD can also serve as a jumping in point for that reason. Neither EoW nor Saga have that easy relatability or lend themselves to simple explanations. If I tried to explain either to my non comic reading friends, or gave them random non #1 issues to read, they'd likely be like "WTF is this?" To me that is the biggest difference between just about any book and WD in terms of investing and potential for more than a quick flip.

That is a good point as well.

I'd also add, East of West and Saga could NOT be turned in to a cost effective show. That also makes for less popularity.

Heck, I don't think either could be turned in to a feature length movie either.

I completely agree. You need to know the story and background to care about those books, and that doesn't translate into mainstream success. Good comics, sure, but not blockbuster long term investments.

Personally, I can't judge a book until the first arc is finished. I look for great storytelling. Each story has. Beginning a middle and an end. The end is the most difficult and the most telling of a writer's storytelling ability. If the beginning and middle are great but the end flops, the story will flop. Manhattan Projects is an excellent story, each arc has a satisfying end that lead into the next. Walking dead is excellent too, however it seem to be written with the long view in mind and some later arcs are not as satisfying, however as an established book they have more leeway to set up the larger story.

With East of West, I am reading and enjoying, but I won't render a verdict until the first arc is completed. I know Hickman can tell a story and the sales of EOW so far will allow him some freedom to take his time and set things up.

World building is essential and the master storyteller will get you hooked and lure you along with great story arcs while he/she builds the world and set up the greater story. I'm excited to see what happens.

if the number really is 300 on the RRP then the blue 9.8 is the way to go. lots of damaged copies as well as Yellowed ones

No. As usual, the SS copies are going to sell for more than the blue label copies.

Weren't you making the same statement about the Saga #1 RRP after NYCC last year?

Even if that does happen - and it hasn't happened yet - it won't change a thing; the SS copies will still sell for a premium compared to their blue label counterparts *.

You may personally not like SS books - that's your prerogative - but the market as a whole loves them, particularly for hot modern books.

* Yes, I'm ignoring a hypothetical situation where 299 copies of the 300 print run are SS'ed and there's only 1 blue label copy remaining - where the laws of supply & demand will ensure that the blue label copy is the most desirable one. But it's never going to happen, so it would be a ridiculous argument to bring forth.

See how I look at it: Both WD and Saga have done something different than mainstream comics. WD has done an outstanding job selling the black and white comic. It looks different then mainstream books, but the story is also of a high quality. Saga has also done something different with the artwork. The way the captions are added to the art is way different then anything on the market right now. And again it has a solid story to go along with the art.

Both books are also in a very unique genre. WD is the pinnacle of the horror genre while Saga is a solid science fiction read.

Also, in both books you fall in love with the characters. They are more character pieces than comics.

Now what has East of West done differently? The artwork is solid, but it doesn't look different then anything else on the market. I think indie books do well when the art is unique. The story is good right now, but I don't feel invested in a character. Death is probably the stand out character, but I don't like him (I don't think we are supposed too).

I agree with you. So far, East of West is looking like a good book, and not a standout. To be fair, though, it's going to take a full arc to get a better idea.

I got my RRP yesterday; the back cover is pretty clean and it looks like an easy 9.6 - 9.8!!

:banana: :banana:

Should I slab it blue or get it SS, hopefully at NYCC? hm

Keep it blue....you can get any book SS at pretty much anytime.

"Once yellow, always yellow...Blue can always become yellow"

- ThoseBackPages

I got my RRP yesterday; the back cover is pretty clean and it looks like an easy 9.6 - 9.8!!

:banana: :banana:

Should I slab it blue or get it SS, hopefully at NYCC? hm

Keep it blue....you can get any book SS at pretty much anytime.

"Once yellow, always yellow...Blue can always become yellow"

- ThoseBackPages

Your wise words have not fallen on deaf ears sifu... Blue it is!

(thumbs u