• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Just shifting perspective...

If a low percentage of people hold a high percentage of #1, with the print numbers being fairly consistent... I doubt people have 100 #3s for instance. In my limited knowledge I feel as if prices should continue to slowly rise as hoarders drip copies into the proverbial vain of the market. I only have 10 copies Bee Tee Dubs. 2c

Correct assumption. Speculators might try 100 of 1, 1000 of 1, or 10 of 1 but the return on number 2 is almost never as good and the returns get worse the deeper it goes unless characters are introduced or there is some other mitigating circumstance such as errors/recalls. I think that with books like Pretty Deadly, Rat Queens, Letter 44, and others in the pipeline, speculator money has and will thin out or I could be wrong lol

Where is CBT when I need him ?

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone know why Preacher #1 doesn't go higher? People LOVE this book, many consider it a modern classic, but getting it in high grades is cheap and easy.

Makes zero sense to me. Definitely a big one in the last 20 years. I would think it would fall somewhere slightly below Sandman but above most stuff. How much does it get ?

I just can't fathom a book with a print run north of 50K is going to command $125 or more long term slabbed, even with the popularity.

Supply v. demand (shrug)

I agree.... but how many printings did #1 go through. That shows that the supply of the 1st printing didn't meet the demand. So.... many had to be happy with 2nd, then 3rd then 4th.

It's just the way my brain see's it.

If a low percentage of people hold a high percentage of #1, with the print numbers being fairly consistent... I doubt people have 100 #3s for instance. In my limited knowledge I feel as if prices should continue to slowly rise as hoarders drip copies into the proverbial vain of the market. I only have 10 copies Bee Tee Dubs. 2c

Correct assumption. Speculators might try 100 of 1, 1000 of 1, or 10 of 1 but the return on number 2 is almost never as good and the returns get worse the deeper it goes unless characters are introduced or there is some other mitigating circumstance such as errors/recalls. I think that with books like Pretty Deadly, Rat Queens, Letter 44, and others in the pipeline, speculator money has and will thin out or I could be wrong lol

Only thing that is starting to slow me down is space lol

Saga #1 had a 35K print run. And I do think 15K is a big difference.

According to comichron Saga 1 was 37,641. East of West was 49518. Both numbers included the variants. I would think but can't be positive that EOW had more variants based on 2 covers as opposed to 1.

If the EOW variants were as rare as Saga, I believe they would be bringing more money than they currently do. I think the net number is closer to 10,000 difference. Still substantial but like I said before, I personally think EOW is the better book. I'm just one guy though. Time will tell.

Edited by The Authority

Only thing that is starting to slow me down is space lol

Hahahahaha. We all have that problem I think. I used to have 3 rooms full of junk. Four kids later, I have a walk in closet and the corner of a room. lol

space? i have a 6 foot x 7.5 foot space that not only holds all my comics but is also my work space for my small business, and it ain't comics.

You could build a desk out of long boxes and chairs out of shorties. It could be like a Swiss Army office lol

Edited by The Authority

This time it states 1 copy. Not my sale. I just find it interesting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAST-OF-WEST-1-IMAGE-COMIC-BOOK-1ST-PRINT-LOT-HICKMAN-DRAGOTTA-2013-NM-/261258404091?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3cd436e0fb

BTW, with the intro of a new character and no second prints, #5 is possibly an important book. Take a look at this

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/16/saga-13-sells-out-62000-print-run-walking-dead-113-of-76000-and-east-of-west-5-of-41000-jonathan-hickman-tells-us-why/

I think this will be the last issue with a print run this low for a while. It sounds like Image is upping the ante.

I just can't fathom a book with a print run north of 50K is going to command $125 or more long term slabbed, even with the popularity.

Supply v. demand (shrug)

I agree.... but how many printings did #1 go through. That shows that the supply of the 1st printing didn't meet the demand. So.... many had to be happy with 2nd, then 3rd then 4th.

It's just the way my brain see's it.

I suspect the supply is more than ample to meet the demand when you consider all the people holding multiple copies hoping for this comic to rise.

You guys know how this forum can drive demand... the current wave of $5 - 10 sales will be every speculator with only 1-2 copies pooping themselves and pulling the trigger after hearing about the 100's others have hoarded not wanting to miss the boat that everyone seems to be thinking is setting sail.

It's still going to need time to prove itself...

There will be a few readers mixed in with that. Would not surprise me if 10%+ of the print run is speculation.

Read issue five today and... :o

Anyone saying Moderns suck is sticking his crack pipe in the wrong hole.

:signfunny:

...and I agree.

^^

I was a kid who started reading comic books in the late 70s through the mid 90s. I started collecting again in 2004 or so. When I came to these boards, there were some people who did nothing but whine about how crappy moderns were - it got old quick, considering the amount of quality material out there now. I guess some people are just stuck in the past.

Anyhow, I am seriously digging a lot more books than I thought I would.

space? i have a 6 foot x 7.5 foot space that not only holds all my comics but is also my work space for my small business, and it ain't comics.

You could build a desk out of long boxes and chairs out of shorties. It could be like a Swiss Army office lol

Bwahahah! That would be hilarious

i really need to do something, i'm stepping over boxes to get to my chair....my swivel chair hits the wall halfway through a rotation.

Pics or BS lol

Read issue five today and... :o

Anyone saying Moderns suck is sticking his crack pipe in the wrong hole.

That is a messed up image lol