• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Just read issues 1-5. I'm afraid I didn't quite like it (I do like TMP).

I just didn't feel what the story was about. Three of the four horsemen are kids, Death has gone nomadic, with two invincible sidekicks. They lay waste to pseudo-China (which you wouldn't really feel posed much of a threat anyway) and he finally got back to his wife.

Why? :(

I just didn't feel what the story was about. Three of the four horsemen are kids, Death has gone nomadic, with two invincible sidekicks. They lay waste to pseudo-China (which you wouldn't really feel posed much of a threat anyway) and he finally got back to his wife.

Why did all of this stuff happen? Is that what you're asking?

There's always my little pony. :baiting:

There's always my little pony. :baiting:

lol I will be selling a set in the sales thread for you bud.

I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but it kind of echoes my feelings about the book so far. (Disclaimer, I've read EoW #1-4 only, didn't get to #5 yet.)

There's tremendous talent in the plotting, craft in the setup, the art is a pleasure to look at and the covers are cool. Even so, I'm kinda on the fence as to continuing and can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's that the characters didn't grab me emotionally, or only grabbed me in fits and spurts, compared to a title like Saga which has more warmth and dark humor to it.

Now I look forward to being told that I should go read My Little Pony. :grin:

I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but it kind of echoes my feelings about the book so far. (Disclaimer, I've read EoW #1-4 only, didn't get to #5 yet.)

There's tremendous talent in the plotting, craft in the setup, the art is a pleasure to look at and the covers are cool. Even so, I'm kinda on the fence as to continuing and can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's that the characters didn't grab me emotionally, or only grabbed me in fits and spurts, compared to a title like Saga which has more warmth and dark humor to it.

I get that sentiment. It's different than what I infer from the OP. He seemed to not understand what was going on in the plot. While it can be difficult to put the pieces all together, they are there. It just requires a little more work and recall than some books. Personally, I love that and it helps me get some re-read value out of the book.

If EoW isn't your cup of tea, that's cool. It's not for everyone. Saga is a much warmer book. EoW is much more serious, which makes sense given the subject matter.

I get that sentiment. It's different than what I infer from the OP. He seemed to not understand what was going on in the plot. While it can be difficult to put the pieces all together, they are there. It just requires a little more work and recall than some books. Personally, I love that and it helps me get some re-read value out of the book.

If EoW isn't your cup of tea, that's cool. It's not for everyone. Saga is a much warmer book. EoW is much more serious, which makes sense given the subject matter.

+1 every one is entitled to there own opinion regardless of the backlash with more time i will assume people will truly begin to see what is so special about this book later in the series when more can be understood. #mylittlepony lol

Awesome read so far and I agree for the most part, as BeerThirty said, it is more serious. This is a top read for me along with Revival :shy:

I love East of West so much that I even opened up a bank account at East West Bank: http://www.eastwestbank.com/english/index.asp :preach:

I can't wait for East of West #7 :banana:

R_H

+1 every one is entitled to there own opinion regardless of the backlash with more time i will assume people will truly begin to see what is so special about this book later in the series when more can be understood. #mylittlepony lol

Where did I put that box of throwing rocks... lol

Awesome read so far and I agree for the most part, as BeerThirty said, it is more serious. This is a top read for me along with Revival :shy:

I love East of West so much that I even opened up a bank account at East West Bank: http://www.eastwestbank.com/english/index.asp :preach:

R_H

...and you are less than 24 hours away from reading it lol

R_H

#7 comes out tomorrow? :banana:

R_H

#7 comes out tomorrow? :banana:

Yep :whee:

R_H

actually only two hours...the shops here get them early, so I will be sitting down and reading it, since we can't buy it early. :sumo:

R_H