• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

keeping Hickman writing their to the point he has no time for his own books.

They do the same thing to Nick Spencer, which killed Bedlam

I would imagine both of these creators have some say in the way they choose to prioritize. However I did notice this month when making my DCBS order that there was no EoW to order. Expected delay or not?

The creators I've talked to that do original IPs as well as Big 2 books usually prioritize their Big 2 books. That's their cash cow, and you can't really blame them. There's also the assumption that creator owned readers tend to be more loyal and more willing to wait through delays, whereas Big 2 execs are less patient.

I would imagine both of these creators have some say in the way they choose to prioritize. However I did notice this month when making my DCBS order that there was no EoW to order. Expected delay or not?

The creators I've talked to that do original IPs as well as Big 2 books usually prioritize their Big 2 books. That's their cash cow, and you can't really blame them. There's also the assumption that creator owned readers tend to be more loyal and more willing to wait through delays, whereas Big 2 execs are less patient.

I would have thought they would have made more on their own. Real question. What makes a writer do an Image book if they can make more with DC/Marvel ?

You say that like the writers are being forced to write books for Marvel.

i do not know the legal ongoings of agreeing to be on the Marvel Payroll. But im sure the double shipping of Marvel floppies eats into "free time" that their employees have for working on their own book(s)

I would have thought they would have made more on their own. Real question. What makes a writer do an Image book if they can make more with DC/Marvel ?

Freedom to write any story they want instead of someone else's characters. Owning the rights to their own stuff so if it gets optioned for tv/film they get a nice big cheque. They have control over what happens with their story ie who to sell it to if several people are interested. Plus if it's a hit they'll make more money on it than at the big 2.

Freedom to write any story they want instead of someone else's characters. Owning the rights to their own stuff so if it gets optioned for tv/film they get a nice big cheque. They have control over what happens with their story ie who to sell it to if several people are interested. Plus if it's a hit they'll make more money on it than at the big 2.

This is off topic, but there are also reasons why creators should work on Marvel/DC projects even if they are making more money doing independent stuff. They get to work with characters that they love and working for DC/Marvel helps them market their independent stuff more broadly.

I have no inside information on this. It's pure speculation. I wonder if there are some delays here and there because of the nature of the collaborative process. I know that there have been times where Nick has drawn a panel or two differently than Jonathan had envisioned and it has changed part of the story. Nick and Jonathan both have lots of ideas and I wonder if there are delays simply because they are working together to put out the best story possible. If anything, I would welcome these types of delays, but that's just me.

I don't know but this will be only the 7th issue in the 40 weeks since issue 1 came out. That is almost 6 weeks between issues. That is my limit and as great as the story is, if they don't get it together, I'm waiting on the trades to come out and dropping the floppies like I did with Saga. Marvel will have put out 20 issues of Superior Spider-man in that same time period and though I think this book is better than SSM, I don't think its 3 times better.

I don't know but this will be only the 7th issue in the 40 weeks since issue 1 came out. That is almost 6 weeks between issues. That is my limit and as great as the story is, if they don't get it together, I'm waiting on the trades to come out and dropping the floppies like I did with Saga. Marvel will have put out 20 issues of Superior Spider-man in that same time period and though I think this book is better than SSM, I don't think its 3 times better.

That is because unlike mavel or dc they have to stick wit the same artist. Superior SM comes out so often and IMO the art is lacking even though I like Francavilla so I welcome it as long as they hold up on the quality.

I personally would rather wait the extra time and know that the book is exactly what the creators want it to be. Waiting to find out what happens next can be annoying, but no where near as annoying as having a book fizzle out or wander wth a directionless plot. I'll happily wait for quality, and so far, this book seems to have no lack of that.

On a side note, Beerthirty, the books I sent with you to NYCC just got marked graded and shipped. All 9.8's. I cant thank you enough for all the help. You even had Nick sketch one copy of each variant for me too! You're a champ sir, much appreciated.

I'm with you and if I thought that we were waiting on the quality you would hear no complaint from me. Hickman is putting out a turn of stuff I like in Marvel every month so I have a feeling this series are being put on the backburner. I'm not going to quit reading it, I'm just thinking of switching to trades. It will be new to me when I read it.

I'm with you and if I thought that we were waiting on the quality you would hear no complaint from me. Hickman is putting out a turn of stuff I like in Marvel every month so I have a feeling this series are being put on the backburner. I'm not going to quit reading it, I'm just thinking of switching to trades. It will be new to me when I read it.

Nothing wrong with switching to trades.