• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Oh, I didn't hoard this book - I found out about it mere days before its release, and got only two regular copies & one Ghost Variant. I also never said anything would or would not rise in value.

It's just hearing of all the people here that have 100 copies and knowing most of those will be CGC'd, I think maybe my hunch on this one isn't going to be as great as I thought.

But then again, I have never really been a "speculator," so if my Spidey-sense is a little off, I don't really mind. Just another lesson that I should stick to collecting the dang things if I am going to have anything to do with them at all.

-slym

Most books that rise in value were never hoarded to begin with.

Remember when all those people hoarded WD #1 and now made thousands selling them?

No.......me either. ;)

Yes but WD #1 also didn't have any variants :)

wellllllllllllllllllllllllll ;)

[ That is book is coming though in 2 weeks. :fear:

it's also the book people are going to grossly overpay for. All that matter is story quality. If the book's quality holds up, the value will hold, if it doesnt, it will tank.

Outside of that, the only other driver would be a tv/movie rumor.

The entire modern market is overvalued, because its too much money chasing too few options. People just need to be smart, and not get over committed. It feels good to catch a winner, just dont leave too much money on the table in a game where the rules can change.

Finally got my FPs today and they arrived in great NM+ shape. They changed their packing style and it seems to benefit them.

they must have sent mine on a cargo ship

oh, and no matter how much people think they know, they don't really know for sure exactly what will happen.

Edited by krighton

Personally I hope the whole bubble does pop. I'd love to pick up that TMNT #1 9.6 in the sales thread for $1000 instead of $8800 or whatever he's asking, or to buy another WD#1 9.8 for $500.

Personally I hope the whole bubble does pop. I'd love to pick up that TMNT #1 9.6 in the sales thread for $1000 instead of $8800 or whatever he's asking, or to buy another WD#1 9.8 for $500.

Bump that... Spawn #1 9.8 prices on TWD #1.

That's what I'm talking 'bout.

If the bubble bursts, TMNT 1 will be fine. That book's bubble burst 20 years ago and its value has built slowly back up since.

There are 101 million working age Americans without jobs, 90 million of them counted by the government as "no longer looking for a job". Interest rates have been at essentially zero for half a decade. World central banks have "printed" (out of thin air) 10 trillion plus dollars in the same time.

Comics are but just a microcosm in the grand bubble scheme. Everyday the USD is worth less than it was before, and everything price IN THEM, "go up in value" by the same amount. Real inflation figures are more than double the "official" numbers.

This devaluation (seen as asset price inflation) is the main overarching driver, and the zero-interest free money is the fuel. The comic bubble will never run out of fuel, or the collapsing USD tide that raises all boats, until the whole thing comes crashing down.

In weimar Germany, people were stripping the metal from fences just to get something other than paper money. Why not comics? In the GD luxury items like Art did well. High end collectibles will likely do the same this time in GD2.

Just make sure the comics you put a lot of money in to, will be desirable in the long term. A well written, must have series, one of the top books of an era? Sounds good, and much more stable when its value isnt dependent on a show that will eventually end. Is EoW that? Waaaaaaaaay to early to tell, but good read, and definitely a hot commodity. Excited for issue 2.

end debt/bubble rant, (or soliloquy if Ryan prefers :grin: )