• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

If everything else goes to then comics are the least of our worries. 401ks are doing great because the government is pumping 80 billion a month into the stock market.....i'm guessing that can't go on forever.

Edited by krighton

here we go again...

skyisfalling_zpsde497f4f.jpg [/quote

I remember the whole "Market Crash" thread that was on these boards back in 2003, A lot of people on these boards now that were heavily involved thinking the rug was really going to be pulled out from under everyone. I never thought for one second that would ever happen, and knew that paying 40K for a 9.0 Hulk #1 was peanuts as to what was going to come around down the line which is where we are now, The back issue market hasn't collapse, it's just gotten more expensive and will continue to do so. People would say "Oh 10 copies of Fantastic Four #1 in 9.2+, that's way too many, I'm not paying that price" Seriously? 10 copies is of a rare 9.2+ of something is too many? Well by the record setting prices being paid now still doesn't show any sign of there being too many copies to go around.

here we go again...

skyisfalling_zpsde497f4f.jpg

if you are going to try and be sarcastic, make sure it makes sense first. No one said anything of the kind. Being properly positioned for very obvious trends, insures not only financial success, but profit.

ignorance does not benefit you, educate yourself and you wont be crying when you see one of these.....

6925763847_628507688c.jpg

Edited by CBT

I remember the whole "Market Crash" thread that was on these boards back in 2003, A lot of people on these boards now that were heavily involved thinking the rug was really going to be pulled out from under everyone. I never thought for one second that would ever happen, and knew that paying 40K for a 9.0 Hulk #1 was peanuts as to what was going to come around down the line which is where we are now, The back issue market hasn't collapse, it's just gotten more expensive and will continue to do so. People would say "Oh 10 copies of Fantastic Four #1 in 9.2+, that's way too many, I'm not paying that price" Seriously? 10 copies is of a rare 9.2+ of something is too many? Well by the record setting prices being paid now still doesn't show any sign of there being too many copies to go around.

Modern books where 99.9% of the run is in 9.2 or better shape and taken well care of since they were printed, cannot be compared to Hulk #1 and Fantastic Four #1, who's value has been established over nearly 60 years and is based on it's proven desirability, and not a hypothetical future success or relevance.

As for what price is too much. In the same way that WD lifts all other moderns below it when it tracks a new high, and proves "what's possible". The golden age rarities do the same and open up space for people to pay more on the silvers. Same way things like the mcfarlane art sale "let" people start justify paying much more for OA, even pieces of questionable future relevance.

Dips in a market, or corrections to a bubble, are buying opportunities for well positioned people. Not just in comics, but all markets. It shakes out weak hands, breaks people playing on margin (debt), and sets strong floors for values. aka, even during the correction item X never went below price Y.

There are lots of bubbles in the comics world (OA, Slabbed books, Moderns, comics with TV rumors, copper/bronze keys, maybe even silver minor keys), if and when some of them finally "correct", it only does so to improve the overall strength of the market as a whole.

If someone want to pay all time highs for a book, just make sure the numismatic value of it is truly there, and you wont lose out. Action 1s arent going to go on sale, even if the bottom of the entire comic market fell out. If you are willing to set a record price for something, just know where it stands in the pecking order.

Edited by CBT

Modern books where 99.9% of the run is in 9.2 or better shape and taken well care of since they were printed, cannot be compared to Hulk #1 and Fantastic Four #1, who's value has been established over nearly 60 years and is based on it's proven desirability, and not a hypothetical future success or relevance.

As for what price is too much. In the same way that WD lifts all other moderns below it when it tracks a new high, and proves "what's possible". The golden age rarities do the same and open up space for people to pay more on the silvers. Same way things like the mcfarlane art sale "let" people start justify paying much more for OA, even pieces of questionable future relevance.

Dips in a market, or corrections to a bubble, are buying opportunities for well positioned people. Not just in comics, but all markets. It shakes out weak hands, breaks people playing on margin (debt), and sets strong floors for values. aka, even during the correction item X never went below price Y.

There are lots of bubbles in the comics world (OA, Slabbed books, Moderns, comics with TV rumors, copper/bronze keys, maybe even silver minor keys), if and when some of them finally "correct", it only does so to improve the overall strength of the market as a whole.

If someone want to pay all time highs for a book, just make sure the numismatic value of it is truly there, and you wont lose out. Action 1s arent going to go on sale, even if the bottom of the entire comic market fell out. If you are willing to set a record price for something, just know where it stands in the pecking order.

Good post.....if a market adjustment happens again, and I am sure it will.....just make sure your ready because a lot of your current stuff will end up worthless.....pay close attention and invest only where you think the book had legs to hold up. People buying 100 copies of every #1 out there will ge she'll shocked when this happens....just my 2c

Good post.....if a market adjustment happens again, and I am sure it will.....just make sure your ready because a lot of your current stuff will end up worthless.....pay close attention and invest only where you think the book had legs to hold up. People buying 100 copies of every #1 out there will ge she'll shocked when this happens....just my 2c

I personally tend to stay away from moderns as far as "a book with legs" I only buy them simply because I love the book itself, usually because I love the cover. I remember when people were paying $25-30K for 9.8 Hulk 181's but of course as more and more copies got the 9.8 grade, the price dipped, now one can be had for around 10K

I'd certianly would not want to be that guy who paid 150K for the only 9.9 copy that was on comiclink a few years ago. Or even one of the guys who paid the 25K for a 9.8, or the 9.9 NM 98 for 12K. In the comic world however, condition is King! Would I pay 5K for a ASM 300 9.9? Nope. Why? I don't see much of a future for the character Venom, also the print run is too large. Very nice book but i'd settle for a 9.8 and just be happy with that.

WD #1 is the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1...Laugh all you want, but it's true.

Getting back to East of West, I bought 12 copies and I'll just slab and flip them. Only reason why people bough 5-10+ copies of it anyway!

So if I understand you, I should buy 200 copies of every image #1?

:jokealert:

I get....there is risk...move on

speculation and bubble talk is par for the course in this thread, ever since people started posting that they bought 50, 100, etc copies in the first few pages.

Given that we are only one issue in, and a couple weeks out from the next....other than people posting prices they paid, books they subbed, etc, not much for this thread to do.

When people start overpaying for the RRP, i am sure it will be gangbusters in here. As for my point, I refer back to the black swan picture. For those that don't know what it means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory

should give the general idea, as with the best quote from that page:

A black swan event depends on the observer. For example, what may be a black swan surprise for a turkey is not a black swan surprise to its butcher; hence the objective should be to "avoid being the turkey" by identifying areas of vulnerability in order to "turn the Black Swans white"

Just trying to help people not be turkey's when thanksgiving finally roles around ;)