• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

i know, i just think its "funny" that yellows are worth more points then blues.

also, if you are going to collect yellow, then the book should be signed by at LEAST the writer, inker/colorer, letterer and artist, as that's what you see when reading the book

Why is it "funny"? SS books cost more to slab and, in general, command a higher price when sold - it makes perfect sense they're worth more points in the registry :shrug:

Books have to be signed by the letterer? :lol:

Sure, why not? everyone who made the book should sign it.

Which would include the editor, the publisher, the book designer, and, perhaps, the guy who hit the start button on the printing press.

Thanks, but no thanks - I think I'll just stick to getting my books signed by whomever I want :thumbsup:

SS should not factor into the point ranking for registry sets. It should be only about the grade.

By that token Qualified & Restored books would be worth the same amount of points as Universal label books - does that make sense to you too?

also, if you are going to collect yellow, then the book should be signed by at LEAST the writer, inker/colorer, letterer and artist, as that's what you see when reading the book

Why is it "funny"? SS books cost more to slab and, in general, command a higher price when sold - it makes perfect sense they're worth more points in the registry :shrug:

Which would include the editor, the publisher, the book designer, and, perhaps, the guy who hit the start button on the printing press.

Thanks, but no thanks - I think I'll just stick to getting my books signed by whomever I want :thumbsup:

hey, people let stan lee sign their mess! lol

hey, people let stan lee sign their mess! lol

Sure - I'm not personally a fan of getting a Stan Lee sig on a book he didn't work on, but, hey, as far as I'm concerned, people can do whatever they want with their own books.

I will grab a yellow label if I can catch it on the cheap or if I happen to be at the same convention. I just don't get the 2nd and 3rd prints. I can see that far to collect them and slab them to pad up my registry score. For a while I had a top registry set for Saga then I got BLOWN out of the water but people grabbing every print. The way I see it, 10's and 9.9s and raity should weigh heavy on scores..Peter Panzerfaust #2 should have a score higher if not equal to issue 1 because of how hard it is to get a 9.8 grade or above. I also think the EoW RRP should produce a high score because of the ink defects etc...

I tend to agree with mschmidt. I feel that comics that are harder to get/more costly to get/rare in good grades should be worth more points. I think that makes sense in system that is meant to be competitive. This system also encourages slabbing in general, so it would behoove CGC to assign higher points to slabs that are more costly to do - as an incentive to pay the additional cost. In that line of logic, I think SS books could be worth more points than they currently are.

I can see why they get higher scores and I think your assessment makes perfect sense. Books and anything else are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. I think it will be interesting to see which end up more valuable in the long run. Will it be the SS Yellow that are more rare as a rule or will it be the unsigned, unblemished Blue that has typically more books available but a much larger population of buyers ?

For what its worth, I would buy the Yellows for my collection that I never intend to sell or intend to sell immediately to confirm authenticity. I have a lot of autographed stuff I wouldn't let go. I would buy the Blues for long term remarketing because there is no qualification to the grade and therefore, I believe, more potential buyers. 2c

only build registry sets if you collect yellows. otherwise you are penalized for not collecting yellows

You should be penalized for not collecting yellows, you fool! :-)

ive heard that before! lol

In my not so humble opinion (IMNSHO), you should build registry sets for the following reasons:

1) You think it's fun (that's the only rule that really matters)

2) You care deeply about a book

3) You want to pay tribute to the book by collecting it all in whatever grade you like and love CGC enough to collect slabs

Sure, having the most points is fun, but caring about the book and putting together the collections that make you happiest are what's most important, whether you go through the registry or not. Again, just my NSHO.

You just described my collecting habits.

All three are why I collect slabs of certain books.