• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Issue #1 for sale at Midtown for only $3.60 if you don't have it. I guess all of there older stuff is 40% off. This is a cheap way to buy the set.

:P couldn't find that deal on Midtown, must have missed it.

Issue #1 for sale at Midtown for only $3.60 if you don't have it. I guess all of there older stuff is 40% off. This is a cheap way to buy the set.

:P couldn't find that deal on Midtown, must have missed it.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=East+Of+West+%231+1st+Ptg_1246011

I sat down and read 1 through 8 again last night. Fantastic ! I think this book is going to fall into classic territory over time. There were so many characters to bring into the fold that it may have been a little slow in the building process for some people. It covers a vast array of plot lines and a great foundation to build on. Is the story man vs man ? Man vs nature ? Man vs the supernatural ? Man vs religion ? Man vs technology ? Man vs nature ? Man vs self ? I think you could point out each of these main plots in the first 7 books alone.

This is not a typical comic read imo. Death is something new as portrayed here. He is not an anti-hero or really any kind of hero at all. He does keep piling up the bad guys but I believe his story is forbidden love and transformation. Is Xiaolin's story one of love, power, or revenge ? What of the thing they created together ? It is possibly the most powerful thing in the story.

The Ranger's story starts off as one of revenge but I think he stands for pure justice and honor. Chamberlain seems to be the manipulator looking only for more power regardless of the cost to others and he is obviously a master salesman. Bel Solomon is the hero, the good man willing to handle the burden for his people regardless of the cost to himself.

The 3 Horsemen are forces of nature with a little bit of wicked thrown in for good measure. President Antonia LeVay is willing to do whatever she can to grab power AND enforce the word. She is the figurehead with immense power and is as cold as ice. Ezra Orion is the keeper of the message and is a monster through no fault of his own. He also appears to have a significant role going forward. Even the background players like the Wolf, the Crow, the bartender/tracker who is much more than he appears to be have important roles to play.

The message or word and the world are both major players and often impact the outcome of things.

I could go on and will in the future lol

This book is written along the same lines as the Game of Thrones series to me. It has a huge cast, we think we know who the good guys are but it all depends on your point of view. Anyway, I can't wait for #9 the inevitable inevitably meets the inevitability of the inevitable. You can bet on it :grin:

Edited by The Authority

Great summary THE Authority and completely agree. This series keeps gaining traction for me and each reread (3 for me so far) only improves the wealth of character development and slow burn plotting. Hickman and Dragotta have only scratched the surface of possibility as far as I can tell. I can't wait to see what's up with the thing Death and Xioalin created...

Great summary THE Authority and completely agree.

Ditto! Book of the year, and it will stand the test of time and be talked about in the future as we remissness about the great comics of the 2010's

+1000 tried resisting joining in the love fest, but I couldn't. Great summary Authority...but the questions I have brewing are geared towards the ending lol I know it's dumb to be thinking about how this book will eventually end, I should just enjoy the ride, but nonetheless I can't help myself. I'm torn between the following options:

1. The Apocalypse Succeeds, world ends and leads to a "heavenly" afterlife and all the death/murder/destruction is for a greater good.

2. The Apocalypse Succeeds, world ends, but leads to "nothingness" , there's no afterlife, prophecy is fulfilled yet it ultimately means nothing.

3. The Apocalypse is avoided because Death "screws" things up and the 4 Horsemen can't carry our their ultimate purpose.

4. The Apocalypse doesn't happen...for some yet to be determined reason.

I love this book, but I cannot stop thinking about how they will ultimately end it, it's driving me crazy. Nothing ruins a great story like a crappy ending....*cough cough* Dexter/Sopranos *cough cough* :)

Thanks guys. I agree that the ending could go awry but I remember an interview in which Nick Dragotta and Jonathan Hickman both stated they knew how it was going to end, they just didn't have the middle completely plotted out at that point. I'm like you, the ending matters. Some of my favorite Stephen King books were great until the end and then went sideways which isn't great. I think this one will be good or better.

Thanks guys. I agree that the ending could go awry but I remember an interview in which Nick Dragotta and Jonathan Hickman both stated they knew how it was going to end, they just didn't have the middle completely plotted out at that point. I'm like you, the ending matters. Some of my favorite Stephen King books were great until the end and then went sideways which isn't great. I think this one will be good or better.

This is the part that concerns me I guess. Forgive my naivete, but does anyone know how long they are planning for this? I cant seem to remember. My fear is that if readership stays relatively strong they will stretch out the story and possibly water it down (damn, I'm such a pessimist sometimes). Either way, im on board for however long they choose lol TAKE MY MONEY DAMNIT

This is the part that concerns me I guess. Forgive my naivete, but does anyone know how long they are planning for this? I cant seem to remember. My fear is that if readership stays relatively strong they will stretch out the story and possibly water it down (damn, I'm such a pessimist sometimes). Either way, im on board for however long they choose lol TAKE MY MONEY DAMNIT

I think it's in this thread somewhere, but I believe the goal was a minimum of 50 issues.

I think it's in this thread somewhere, but I believe the goal was a minimum of 50 issues.

Yeah. I've heard as few as 35 and as many as 50. Dragotta said he was planning on doing this for 5 years. So at 10 issues a year, 50 would be the magic number.

I found this on page 3 .... PAGE. 3 lol

Anyway, this guy always seems to set the bar on ebay or at least runs alongside those that do. I think this is great news as we move into 2014.

1-7 $49.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAST-OF-WEST-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-1st-print-set-Jonathan-Hickman-Nick-Dragotta-IMAGE-/131044661970?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e82dedad2

I think being patient is just about to start paying off.

:popcorn: