• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

I'm pleased by all of the manifest destiny issues.....heat from 1-4

100% with you. It's been a big winner and a very good story.

and the ever expanding universe and cast of characters, there's a lot of story left to unfold.

I just find the gap between the #1 and the rrp to be odd.....saga gap is much closer

I guess it depends on how you measure the gap. On a strict dollar for dollar basis, the gap on Saga is much larger. 12 month average for a 9.8 of $156 on the regular cover and $660 on the RRP. EOW is $43 and $411, so a $504 difference vs $368.

However, as a percentage of the regular cover, EOW is 956% vs 423% for Saga.

I just find the gap between the #1 and the rrp to be odd.....saga gap is much closer

I guess it depends on how you measure the gap. On a strict dollar for dollar basis, the gap on Saga is much larger. 12 month average for a 9.8 of $156 on the regular cover and $660 on the RRP. EOW is $43 and $411, so a $504 difference vs $368.

I know you can't do a 12 month average but how does that stack up against the Manifest Destiny #1 versus the LBCC #1 ?

I officially dropped this off my pull list the other day. It wasn't so much that I wasn't enjoying the book, but rather it was being moved to the bottom time and time again. Issue 9 introducing new characters just pushed me over the edge. If I was reading it in trades, it might not be such an issue. Trying to read it every month in a stack of a lot of books just waters down the story.

I also haven't been a huge Hickman fan. I usually enjoy his books in small doses, but his FF run sort of was luke warm.

I just read on Dragotta's twitter that they are catching up and will be releasing both the 2nd TPB and #11 in April. :whee:

I understand reading the trades over floppies. I do this with more stuff all of the time. I don't intend to do this with EOW as I just can't wait to see what's next.

I just read on Dragotta's twitter that they are catching up and will be releasing both the 2nd TPB and #11 in April. :whee:

I understand reading the trades over floppies. I do this with more stuff all of the time. I don't intend to do this with EOW as I just can't wait to see what's next.

:applause:

not sure any image comic will ever have the potential to be as successful as TWD until they start printing their comics every single month.

Interesting statement. Is there really that much dip in your attention span between 1 month and 2 months, for example? What about 1 month and 6 weeks.

I mean, can you imagine a popular TV series being on monthly, instead of weekly? That would never fly - people would claim to not have the attention span. Just makes me wonder what the magic is in the 1 month timeframe for comics - seems a bit arbitrary. i.e. if we can manage 1 month anyway, then why not longer?

not sure any image comic will ever have the potential to be as successful as TWD until they start printing their comics every single month.

Interesting statement. Is there really that much dip in your attention span between 1 month and 2 months, for example? What about 1 month and 6 weeks.

I mean, can you imagine a popular TV series being on monthly, instead of weekly? That would never fly - people would claim to not have the attention span. Just makes me wonder what the magic is in the 1 month timeframe for comics - seems a bit arbitrary. i.e. if we can manage 1 month anyway, then why not longer?

I think it comes down to habits. I've been reading these things over 40 years and I've come to expect monthly. Spoiled ? Maybe so, but I'm surely a creature of habit.

I think it comes down to habits. I've been reading these things over 40 years and I've come to expect monthly. Spoiled ? Maybe so, but I'm surely a creature of habit.

I think that's probably it. I guess the habit is stronger for some than others. I can wait years for some of my favourite authors' new novels, and it doesn't diminish my enjoyment at all. Same for films, I guess.

But just to play devil's advocate, isn't Planetary one of your favourite series? How did you cope with the schedule on that?

The reason I ask is that I think density of the writing matters a lot - if there's more to keep you going/to think about, you can wait longer - maybe you read the book three or four times in between issues.

But you look at a book like Walking Dead and it's so light (imo) that it's sometimes hard not to feel a little ripped off after you've spent 3 minutes reading an issue. If that book got delayed I would expect it to plummet in poularity.

I think that's probably it. I guess the habit is stronger for some than others. I can wait years for some of my favourite authors' new novels, and it doesn't diminish my enjoyment at all. Same for films, I guess.

But just to play devil's advocate, isn't Planetary one of your favourite series? How did you cope with the schedule on that?

The reason I ask is that I think density of the writing matters a lot - if there's more to keep you going/to think about, you can wait longer - maybe you read the book three or four times in between issues.

But you look at a book like Walking Dead and it's so light (imo) that it's sometimes hard not to feel a little ripped off after you've spent 3 minutes reading an issue. If that book got delayed I would expect it to plummet in poularity.

lol

You got me with Planetary. I didn't follow stuff on the web as much when that book was hitting the shelves so every Wednesday, I would go to the LCS hoping to see that and the Authority there. When they were, it was joyous. I definitely understand where you are coming from. I'm the guy who bought every magazine out in between the Star Wars movies just hoping for a shred of info about the next movie. You can't blame a guy for wanting more quality stuff quicker can you ? lol

Edit: I also agree with the density of the writing. The same way I felt about putting Ultimate Spider-man against Planetary. Only 1 of those books would have survived the wait imo.

Edited by The Authority

I know you can't do a 12 month average but how does that stack up against the Manifest Destiny #1 versus the LBCC #1 ?

$67 (12 sales) vs $212 (7 sales), $145 difference, 316% percent