• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

I officially dropped this off my pull list the other day. It wasn't so much that I wasn't enjoying the book, but rather it was being moved to the bottom time and time again. Issue 9 introducing new characters just pushed me over the edge. If I was reading it in trades, it might not be such an issue. Trying to read it every month in a stack of a lot of books just waters down the story.

I also haven't been a huge Hickman fan. I usually enjoy his books in small doses, but his FF run sort of was luke warm.

Chris, did you finish his FF run? I ask this, because I felt the same way at the beggining of his run and dropped it. However, it got better quickly and finished VERY strong. It is one of my favorite modern runs.

not sure any image comic will ever have the potential to be as successful as TWD until they start printing their comics every single month.

I don't think this is a fair statement. WD was plagued with lateness for a while.

I officially dropped this off my pull list the other day. It wasn't so much that I wasn't enjoying the book, but rather it was being moved to the bottom time and time again. Issue 9 introducing new characters just pushed me over the edge. If I was reading it in trades, it might not be such an issue. Trying to read it every month in a stack of a lot of books just waters down the story.

I agree, man. I'll be holding out for trades. It's too dense of a read on a month to month basis. I usually have to go back and re-read the last issue, and now with the delays it's a hassle. Shame, too.

I just find the gap between the #1 and the rrp to be odd.....saga gap is much closer

I guess it depends on how you measure the gap. On a strict dollar for dollar basis, the gap on Saga is much larger. 12 month average for a 9.8 of $156 on the regular cover and $660 on the RRP. EOW is $43 and $411, so a $504 difference vs $368.

However, as a percentage of the regular cover, EOW is 956% vs 423% for Saga.

I know you can't do a 12 month average but how does that stack up against the Manifest Destiny #1 versus the LBCC #1 ?

$67 (12 sales) vs $212 (7 sales), $145 difference, 316% percent

Thanks for that. (thumbs u

I don't know where they got the picture but it looks like the EOW guys are Colts fans. lol

Issue #12

http://www.ebay.com/itm/East-of-West-12-PRESALE-Image-comics-Jonathon-Hickman-Nick-Dragotta-/181315073261?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a373874ed

I imagine this is meant to look like the omega symbol.

1347981606omega.png

$_57.JPG

Okay, but it was a lot less ominous thinking about the Colts run game. :grin:

I understand that delays "kill" a book. I.e. Nowhere man.

Can someone explain why Saga 's hiatus doesn't hurt it's readership? Maybe EoW should do scheduled hiatuses in the future versus pushing releases dates. Delays just alienates loyal readers IMO.

Edited by jreezy

Can someone explain why Saga 's hiatus doesn't hurt it's readership? Maybe EoW should do scheduled hiatuses in the future versus pushing releases dates. Delays just alienates loyal readers IMO.

NWM delay was in the middle of an arc. Saga and Todd take breaks after an arc is done.

EoW should follow the Saga schedule . Hickman is a busy man. At least with scheduled hiatus, readers know what to expect from a series . This series has a dedicated following , so I'm pretty sure at 10+ issues , they aren't going to start attracting thousands of new readers. At least respect your core readers who have been buying this book consistently at a monthly basis.

Two cents

Edited by jreezy

NWM delay was in the middle of an arc. Saga and Todd take breaks after an arc is done.

Yep, I understand that.

Wonder how many are still holding stacks of saga 1.

After last winter/spring, not many.

Yeah I agree. I see raws consistently selling for $100 on eBay. I wish I had a delorean, I would've preordered like crazy.

Reasons have of course been discussed at length on each prediction as to why EoW isn't a HUGE money making book yet, but everyone has a valid point in some regard:

Multiple #1 Variant covers...

Decent size print runs…

Story not as intriguing to a wide array of comic fans…

Collectors buying in bulk without a large enough market wanting to buy…

even some are turned off by Hickman's cover layouts.

East of West is my #1 must read book right now.. so that's obviously not me. I don't think there's one blanket statement as to why it's not a $20 book for the regular cover… but all of these certainly factor into it.

BUT.. as Captain Obvious would say… a comic is (only) worth what someone will pay for it. I personally witnessed someone at a small local show pay $15 for the regular #1 first print (NM+) just 3 weeks ago.