• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

found something scary in my forbidden planet account...

I had ordered 5 America's Got Powers #1 Sketch Variant.....they were being processed still from april 2012.....cancelled the order.

Actually I don't think that issue was ever released...I guess the same thing could happen to EoW.

Edited by krighton

I had ordered 5 America's Got Powers #1 Sketch Variant.....they were being processed still from april 2012.....cancelled the order.

Actually I don't think that issue was ever released...I guess the same thing could happen to EoW.

Haha, wow.

War

Pestelence

Famine and the other one.. lol

Theres 4 right there for the 'variants we were never going to have'

Glad I cancelled most of my orders when I did.

Probably better off you didn't get those books. :D

War

Pestelence

Famine and the other one.. lol

Theres 4 right there for the 'variants we were never going to have'

Glad I cancelled most of my orders when I did.

it will have less than bedlam even if it did have that many ;)

Variants hurting a book is a myth. I say bring them on. The more variants the better. If it scares off the speculators, even better. The less people buying arm fulls of these, the better it will do long term, and the better those who do get some will do on the secondary market.

I say win-win for everyone.

I wouldn't care if they just did like PP and had 1st prints,2nd prints 3rd prints etc.

Theres a time lag and a set sequence of release.

Thats win / win for everyone.

Have 12 different covers of the same book released at the same time helps the creators how?

Nobody buys a book they have never heard of because there are heaps of variants.

Print the 1st print,then if there is demand, then print the 2nd and so on.

Word of mouth selld books,not a skull stuck in the corner.

Later printings creates order, variants chaos.

I don't hate extra printings being the form of variant, I hate the chaos and uncertainty that having say 6 covers of East of West hit the stores at the same time,which is what happened to Bedlam.

Too confusing and actually put readers off.

Now word of mouth has spread about how good it is, sales are increasing.

If they had just done the one cover, and went to re-print 6 weeks later, everyone,ESPECIALLY the creator, wins.

2c

I agree with CBT

Its not like they follow the same standards of marvel/dc and print 4 covers for every single issue

well here is another main point, which is, The amount of people trying to flip since things like Saga and ToT launched has increased immensely.

Having a bunch of variants helps to protect a book, imo, from what happened to NWM. NWM is a great book I have no doubt. But the prices on those variants are ridiculous. The price has a lot more to do with the difficulty in acquiring them, then the actual "worth of the book" themselves. If they had released 4 color variants of number 1 at launch, people would have panned the books, the value would be way less, etc etc.

Yet, the story, etc, would not have changed. So where does the value lie? If NWM is a great series, and holds up, then one day those prices WILL be validated, but because of how they were released, people had to pay and arm and a leg to get on board.

I'd much rather have a book available to the world at cover, and let everyone have a shot at it, and build slowly and steadily. Then have it start high (NYCC Bedlam, NWM colors), with almost certainly no where to go but down.

All the money being spent goes to the creators, and people can get in without risking a ton of money of they really want to speculate.

I wouldn't care if they just did like PP and had 1st prints,2nd prints 3rd prints etc.

Theres a time lag and a set sequence of release.

Thats win / win for everyone.

Have 12 different covers of the same book released at the same time helps the creators how?

Nobody buys a book they have never heard of because there are heaps of variants.

Print the 1st print,then if there is demand, then print the 2nd and so on.

Word of mouth selld books,not a skull stuck in the corner.

Later printings creates order, variants chaos.

I don't hate extra printings being the form of variant, I hate the chaos and uncertainty that having say 6 covers of East of West hit the stores at the same time,which is what happened to Bedlam.

Too confusing and actually put readers off.

Now word of mouth has spread about how good it is, sales are increasing.

If they had just done the one cover, and went to re-print 6 weeks later, everyone,ESPECIALLY the creator, wins.

2c

if they launched it without variants, a lot more speculative money would pour into the book, and make it an "easy flip" for guys buying tons of copies. Since the speculative money has no variants to chase, they would go all in on 1st prints, create false demand, false scarcity, and trigger the alternate printings (which i have no doubt will happen).

Give that the eye of Sauron was already on this book, I am happy about the variants for a couple reasons. It means guys claiming they bought 1000 copies are going to be eating it big time, because the variants will hold the regular cover down on ebay.

Two, if there is only "one variant", the speculators will drive it into the hundreds immediately, making it very difficult for someone who believes in the book to get well positioned on it.

If Saga had multiple variants, the book wouldnt have any less readers, but the RRP likely wouldnt be as valuable. Which would be nice for those who just want to own one for their collection....

"If Saga had multiple variants, the book wouldnt have any less readers, but the RRP likely wouldnt be as valuable. Which would be nice for those who just want to own one for their collection...."

but isnt it nice for those that are late to the party that they only have the one variant to chase?

I am curious to see how the spread out release of variants will affect value over the rest of the year.

I wonder if any other series will be releasing #1 variants this year after establishing their series with a few issues

Edited by wushugushu

"If Saga had multiple variants, the book wouldnt have any less readers, but the RRP likely wouldnt be as valuable. Which would be nice for those who just want to own one for their collection...."

but isnt it nice for those that are late to the party that they only have the one variant to chase?

yes and no, i was late to revival's party, and i got the full set of 9.8s for less than RRPs were selling for in the fall.

Yah, its awesome to have a grail, and the price of the RRP is a testament to the books strength. But, I am sure their are a lot of people who would love to buy one but cant afford it anymore.

i know what the print run is, and what he said. My points remain, and my opinion is most likely 15-18K, maybe stretching as high as the low 20s.

I hope you are right and the print run is no higher than 20k

Saga's is 37K for number 1, so it isnt make or break even if it is "higher". Even Bedlam's run is still about half of any big two book, ones that never move above cover.

People here attribute far to much to low print runs. If the low print run is the source of the value, then the book isnt as stable long term. For me personally, I like to see a book be valuable on it merits. That's one of the strongest indicators to me that saga will remain number 2 to walking dead from this era. It's worth 200 slabbed, with a 37K print run, and each month the number of issues printed goes up.

That's a recipe for long term success.

Well said. (thumbs u