• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of the Best Sketches: Wonder Woman Edition

184 posts in this topic

Would it make you feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person if you bought the best possible blank and have it come back a 9.2?

Do that a few times

Believe me I have had it happen. To me the most important thing is the art that is on the comic. I have several items out now getting done by people that are just starting to do sketches that I never would of heard of if it had not been for this website. However, I also like to get the art on a comic that is as good of shape as it can be. You would not want an artist throwing around a piece of canvas that they were painting on. So while the art is without question the biggest concern, I do try to give the artist the best possible comic to work with. When they come back 9.0s because edges got blunted, I feel it is unfortunate but it does not take away from me enjoying what was created on the book. I keep all of my comics regardless of the grade they get, I got them signed because I like the creator, character, story, etc., or sketched on because I like what the artist is doing.

Yea if the back isnt marked up it must be something like a folded/bent page. I wish they were all NG

Someday hopefully they will be.

I would hate it if sketches were all listed as No Grades. It would make me feel like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person for trying to get the best blanks possible. That is part of what is interesting about this hobby, trying to get the best art on the best possible condition blank that you can.

while it's your choice let me ask......are you getting the blank graded, or are you getting the book graded bc of the sketch on it as the yellow label acts as a CoA (imo anyways)

i'm in the camp of it's the art thats important not the grade of the book.......i'm paying for the art and the yellow label (CoA) the condition of the book after the artist is done is of lesser consern

hell sketches and sigs are different from my PoV, grade sigs NG sketches......but i also understand the reason they don't or they should make it the choice of the owner when submitting

I wish I saw this before so I could have answered both at once. As far as getting it slabbed I like that no one can claim that my Herb Trimpe, Allen Bellman, etc., sketches are fake. As far as grading it goes the answer is pretty much like the one I gave before. I would like it to come back as high a grade as possible and will do my part to make that happen. However, there are circumstances beyond my control and I do not lose sleep of it when they come back worse for the wear and received a lower grade. Like I said before with the painting reference, you would probably want an artist to paint on a nice piece of canvas rather than one that looks like it has not been treated properly.