• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Revival Saga and Bedlam.

175 posts in this topic

And there are heaps of times you are arrogant to the point of nausea.

But you continue to be that way regardless of what others think.

I guess none of us are perfect.

Point

Miss

:facepalm:

Usual fantastic and well thought out post from you Brown-Tongue.

However as all you seem to do is leach of off others efforts - most of your 'collection' seem to come from Dre etc - then I should have expected it.

Whens the last time you:

Recommended a title

Put up a link to cheap comics so everyone could enjoy the bounty

Even gave something away in a charity thread or pay-it-forward.

You have absolutely no gumption except to blag off others hard work.

and subsequent answers:

No I don't

Quite a few times, Rachel Rising is better than any one of these

Couple of times but then I tend to let boardies have hot comics cheap instead

Ran a charity day at the shop a couple of months back

Wasn't referring to you mate.

No, you were referring to my mate, mate

+1

And +1 on Rachel Rising.

Branget's Golden rule. Wait 6 issues, it's amazing what you'll learn.

Platinum rule. Buy what you like and sell what you buy.

I thought this dude split?

I like this topic for good comparison.

Revival - Hitting on all cylinders for me fleshing out the story. Next story arc will really tell the tale. Seeley knows how to write arcs. It will become more important as the book goes on. I do worry about him stretching himself to thin he is writing alot of stuff currently.

Saga - After dropping the book at 4 I got caught up and noticed the story is developing finally. What bothers me and why I am not huge into the book except for a couple of 1s is that over the top scenes. Hard to explain, but did they really need to draw that Giant in issue 8 on the last panel like that? Stuff like that really turns me off to the book.

Bedlam - The book lost me on issue 1 between the art which is not my taste or slitting the girls throat in issue one.(The art made it difficult for me to read the story as well.) Sold all my copies, variants, and NYCC stuff. I hope it does well for the fans of this style of book, but I am out and wont come back.

SAGA - Best thing since Walking Dead. The RRP is the ONLY "variant", which leads to higher pricing and the continuing climb of the regular #1. Bright Future

Revival - Awesome read. Kind of slipped under the radar as it was released the same day as WD100. A little worried that there are FOUR variants of #1, which might not be enough to confuse newbies in the future, but may be enough to discourage them from going for a full run of the books.

Bedlam - Great read, sub-par art. Really interesting story. Violence is real life and sadly children are killed each and every day in this world. Not all comic books can be sunshine and roses, that's what the mess that Marvel and DC put out are here for.

Violence is real life and sadly children are killed each and every day in this world. Not all comic books can be sunshine and roses, that's what the mess that Marvel and DC put out are here for.

Good point. I've heard so many people knocking this book for this reason. Did they forget about the murder of Hershel's daughters in the prison (decapitation) in The Walking Dead, or one of the twins knifing his brother, or Carl shooting the other twin, or Carl getting shot in the face, or the attempted rape of Carl. If violence against children is the issue, then Walking Dead is a bigger offender. It's all shock value and to make you say...... OMG! In regards to Madder Red, I think they are trying to brand him as the ultimate mad man, with nothing and no one off limits. Crimes against defenseless children does this...

Some people just don't have the patience for this game. Bedlam may or may not ever blow up on the secondary market but, as many others have said, it's just too early too know. If it does increase in value, it'll probably take longer than other books because of the number of copies held by speculators, rather than collectors, who bought based on the performance of...wait for it...

Revival and Saga

I like this topic for good comparison.

Saga - After dropping the book at 4 I got caught up and noticed the story is developing finally. What bothers me and why I am not huge into the book except for a couple of 1s is that over the top scenes. Hard to explain, but did they really need to draw that Giant in issue 8 on the last panel like that? Stuff like that really turns me off to the book.

That's been an issue with me as well. I never liked seeing vulgar language in comics.

It just seemes like a silly attempt to make a comic seem more mature. I'm glad to see the language ease off a bit on this title.otherwiise I would have dropped it by now.

Sorry Gaz - you were on the end of a fairly ordinary shift.

I dunno why the facepalm riled me up but it did.

Oh well - I can get some sleep in 3 hrs and counting.

I will probably still be crappy but at least i can take the dog for a run regardless of wether it wants one or not :foryou::hi:

Bedlam - The book lost me on issue 1 between the art which is not my taste or slitting the girls throat in issue one.(The art made it difficult for me to read the story as well.) Sold all my copies, variants, and NYCC stuff. I hope it does well for the fans of this style of book, but I am out and wont come back.

Bedlam has two major handicaps: Riley's art is polarizing, and so is the violence. I like Riley's art, but some don't. I don't care about the violence one way or another, but I find Spencer's attempt to establish the evil of the character as somewhat ham handed.

YMMV, but understand these are two reasons that cut the potential audience size of the book.

Sorry Gaz - you were on the end of a fairly ordinary shift.

I dunno why the facepalm riled me up but it did.

Oh well - I can get some sleep in 3 hrs and counting.

I will probably still be crappy but at least i can take the dog for a run regardless of wether it wants one or not :foryou::hi:

I thought that you would have been in a pretty good mood considering the news coming out of BS3?

I know I am !!

Here's the thing with any ongoing title. Modern comics more than any other age are story driven. People buy these books primarily to read and they want to be entertained. Six issues is not a magic number. It's generally the end of the first story arc. Until the conclusion of the first arc, it's hard to tell how good the story will be. There are always exceptions but if the first arc is good, word will spread and readers that like some resolution will get on board. Look back at both titles and they were not near as hot when issues 3-6 were on the shelf (look back at the Revival thread when the sky was falling). I think the completed first story arc helped boost Revival and Saga (along with some good press). If I don't bail on a title after issue 1, I generally hold until after the first arc is finished to reassess. Comics aren't baseball cards. They evolve, sometimes they get better and sometime they get worse but it's really hard to tell in the middle of the story how good the ending will be. Bedlam may be rubbish or it may be genius, but it will be really hard to tell until the first arc is finished. As for the content killing the book, disturbing content seems to be a mainstay of modern comics. For every reader that is turned off, another is intrigued. I have to say, without the extreme happenings in Walking Dead I would not have been emotionally invested in the outcome of that story. There were time that I almost retched after reading it but I always came back because I had to see what happened next. That type of storytelling is the essence of modern comic books.

Silence of the Lambs was polarizing too. You don't have to please everyone to be successful. I love Bedlam and I love the art, and I think there is a market for it. WD should have made that fairly obvious by now. WD has been just as disturbing ( and sometimes more so - remember when Carl killed that other little boy? Or...the gang that wanted to rape Carl? Can't get much more disturbing than that). And, IMO, Riley's art is far superior to Adlard's. Adlard's WD art started to sell as a result of the show's popularity...not because there is anything impressive about it. Much of his art sat unsold for years, until a bunch of WD fans suddenly decided that it's not *that* bad.

Here's the thing with any ongoing title. Modern comics more than any other age are story driven. People buy these books primarily to read and they want to be entertained. Six issues is not a magic number. It's generally the end of the first story arc. Until the conclusion of the first arc, it's hard to tell how good the story will be. There are always exceptions but if the first arc is good, word will spread and readers that like some resolution will get on board. Look back at both titles and they were not near as hot when issues 3-6 were on the shelf (look back at the Revival thread when the sky was falling). I think the completed first story arc helped boost Revival and Saga (along with some good press). If I don't bail on a title after issue 1, I generally hold until after the first arc is finished to reassess. Comics aren't baseball cards. They evolve, sometimes they get better and sometime they get worse but it's really hard to tell in the middle of the story how good the ending will be. Bedlam may be rubbish or it may be genius, but it will be really hard to tell until the first arc is finished. As for the content killing the book, disturbing content seems to be a mainstay of modern comics. For every reader that is turned off, another is intrigued. I have to say, without the extreme happenings in Walking Dead I would not have been emotionally invested in the outcome of that story. There were time that I almost retched after reading it but I always came back because I had to see what happened next. That type of storytelling is the essence of modern comic books.

Well said... :golfclap: