• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Albuquerque Comic Con Sketches and sigs!

45 posts in this topic

I was at the ACC this weekend and was pleasantly surprised how good a show it turned out to be. It was a small show, but there was some great comic book talent there: Amanda Conner, Bill Morrison, the great Larry Welz, Billy Tucci, Andrew Carreon, Sam De La Rosa, Brent Peebles, Jim Valentino, James Obar, EBAS, Nei Rufino, Andy Kuhn...just to name a few. Some really fantastic sketches came out of this con. I will be posting pics and if anyone else has some to post, by all means let's see them! NOTE: Not all these books are mine, most belong to folks who submitted books for the show.

First off is underground comix LEGEND Larry Welz! Larry doesn't care to sketch at conventions and always frowns when presented with a blank cover. I always send the blanks to him in the mail so he can work on them at home and pick them up at one of the few conventions he attends. He never let's me down with his creativity and erotic satire. Larry is turly a genius and a maverick in the world of comics (though he would never admit to it) and he and his wife are among the coolest people you could ever meet! Here is a sample of his latest creations...I love the fact that I have to censor most of the book's images:

DSCF0019-1.jpg[/img]

WelzGreenLantern.jpg[/img]

Don't even ask what is coming out of that ring!

WelzHitgirl.jpg[/img]

WelzGotMilk.jpg[/img]

WelzGhostRider.jpg[/img]

WelzBlackCat.jpg[/img]

WelzSwampThingie.jpg[/img]

More sketches to come....

Here are a few more sketches:

DSCF0028.jpg[/img]

James O'bar Harleyquinn

DSCF0023.jpg[/img]

Jim Valentino Shadow Hawk

DSCF0024.jpg[/img]

Another Larry Welz classic with Cherry as Cap America!

Bill Morrison was attending the convention and did some fantastic Simpson and Futurama style sketches:

DSCF0005.jpg[/img]

DSCF0006.jpg[/img]

DSCF0025.jpg[/img]

More to come later....

She was my first stop at Megacon last year, I was lucky enough to get a fellow boardie a nice sketch. I dont' think she did maybe 5 or so sketches bc she loved chatting and enjoying the show. Very cool lady :)

Tristan those Cherry sketches are crazy. Do you give Larry hints or does he just do his thing? If any of those showed up at my house I would have to find a boardie to room with lol

She was my first stop at Megacon last year, I was lucky enough to get a fellow boardie a nice sketch. I dont' think she did maybe 5 or so sketches bc she loved chatting and enjoying the show. Very cool lady :)

Tristan those Cherry sketches are crazy. Do you give Larry hints or does he just do his thing? If any of those showed up at my house I would have to find a boardie to room with lol

and I thank you for it! (worship)

Not all of the books are mine, but Larry is just great at taking a suggestion from a fan and going wild with it. He is truly a master of satire and a great artist. I believe his blank cover work is among the best in SS.

Here are two books by the great Andy Carreon:

IMG_0702_zps6f77af42.jpg[/img]

IMG_0701_zpsdf139269.jpg[/img]

If you don't have a Carreon sketch in your collection, GET ONE ASAP! He is one of the best up and coming artists out there!

Here are two by another FANTASTIC up and coming artist, Mr. Brent Peebles:

IMG_0705_zpsef6d8112.jpg[/img]

IMG_0703_zps6eb42ade.jpg[/img]

Here's a beauty for Nei Ruffino:

IMG_0708_zps50d2b66c.jpg[/img]

...and here's a little Creature action from the great William Stout:

IMG_0697_zpsbb820ac0.jpg[/img]

Here are two that were done by Amanda Conner. She is such an amazing artist and a wonder person too. The Wonder Woman is mine and the Poison Ivy belongs to what believe is the luckiest comic collector in Albuquerque, NM! WOW what a sketch! FYI, he asked me to post NFS (sorry fellow collectors):

DSCF0026.jpg[/img]

IMG_0707_zps477a3e2d.jpg[/img]

Here's one last Larry Welz sketch. It was done on the back cover of one of his classic One Fisted Tales comics. The book featured Cherry sci-fi stories. John Searles commisioned Larry to do an homage to the 50's sci-fi classic "Attack of the 50 ft. Woman". I thought this came out amazing! Of course (as is the custom for Welzian sketches) this image is censored.

Censored50footwoman.jpg[/img]

I thought you guys might like this, Larry spent the month of December acting in a stage production of It's a Wonderful Life. He played the part of Clarence the guardian angel, that is so awesome!