• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on this book.

22 posts in this topic

Brave and the Bold #96. I'm thinking of sending it to CGC but am still learning as to what is worth sending, not just condition but the book itself. Any opinions or anything someone can point out that I might not see would be appreciated.

Thanks!

560083-bravebold96.JPG

560083-bravebold96.JPG.135d21f1da8debb172b0066621ca8861.JPG

Brave and the Bold #96. I'm thinking of sending it to CGC but am still learning as to what is worth sending, not just condition but the book itself. Any opinions or anything someone can point out that I might not see would be appreciated.

Thanks!

560083-bravebold96.JPG

Why do you want to send it in? What are your reasons?

At this point, I'm trying to start a collection that will sell when my grandson turns 18 (he's 2). My 1st foray into purchasing yielded a bunch of NM '91 to '93 comics that I have basically been told will fetch between 10 and 50 cents each. That being the case, I'm working on getting a hold of better (?) comics. This is one. But, I don't want to send comics off that won't be helped much by grading.

Don't know if I made sense with this rant, but I tried.

At this point, I'm trying to start a collection that will sell when my grandson turns 18 (he's 2). My 1st foray into purchasing yielded a bunch of NM '91 to '93 comics that I have basically been told will fetch between 10 and 50 cents each. That being the case, I'm working on getting a hold of better (?) comics. This is one. But, I don't want to send comics off that won't be helped much by grading.

Don't know if I made sense with this rant, but I tried.

At present, this is not a book that will be helped by grading if you are going to resell it anytime soon.

If the grading scale changes in the next 16 years (and you can almost bet that it will), it'll need to be reslabbed or regraded. The safer thing to do is to take the book and put it into a 4 mil mylar with a Full Back (calcium carbonate buffered back board) and store it in a cool, dry, dark place for 16 years. I would not spend the money on grading that book. The cost of the grading fees are equal to or exceed the current value of the book.

I understand.

Thanks for the advice. Kinda have the feeling most of my books would fall into this catagory.

There's nothing wrong with that. Most of my books fall in this category too, and I've been collecting for more than 25 years.

If you want to buy him something that you can save as an investment, buy him high grade copies (as high grade as you can find, but don't pay stupid multiples of guide for ultra high grade books like 9.6s and 9.8s) of Marvels or DC superhero books from before 1965 or golden age books in VF or better. While there is no such thing as a sure thing when you're talking about comic books as an investment, these are the books that have been the most stable historically and that have the built-in fan base that will keep them that way. You'll obviously be buying fewer books at a time than if you're buying a bunch of bronze age stuff at a fraction of the price, but the quality of what you'll be saving for him will be exponentially better.

At this point, I'm trying to start a collection that will sell when my grandson turns 18 (he's 2).

Although I'll get hammered for this, I have to ask:

Why are you "investing" for your grandson, in an area that you have little knowledge or experience? It would be like me suddenly deciding to slap a ton of cash into Beanie Babies....

If you really want to do the little guy some good, take some money down to the bank, and talk to a financial planner about setting up an education or mutual fund in your grandson's name, payable when he hits 18. Keep contributing to it, and I absolutely, positively guarantee he'll be happier with that, than a bunch of comics that could well be worth less than you paid in 16 years.

Seriously, don't be foolish with investment money intended for a family member. The "magic beans" seldom pay off.

Why are you "investing" for your grandson, in an area that you have little knowledge or experience?

If you really want to do the little guy some good, take some money down to the bank, and talk to a financial planner about setting up an education or mutual fund in your grandson's name, payable when he hits 18.

JC - no quibbles here. Excellent advice.

Hey! :confused-smiley-013.gif: I am not ALWAYS the devil's advocate!

At this point, I'm trying to start a collection that will sell when my grandson turns 18 (he's 2).

Why are you "investing" for your grandson, in an area that you have little knowledge or experience? It would be like me suddenly deciding to slap a ton of cash into Beanie Babies....

If you really want to do the little guy some good, take some money down to the bank, and talk to a financial planner about setting up an education or mutual fund in your grandson's name, payable when he hits 18. Keep contributing to it, and I absolutely, positively guarantee he'll be happier with that, than a bunch of comics that could well be worth less than you paid in 16 years.

Seriously, don't be foolish with investment money intended for a family member. The "magic beans" seldom pay off.

thumbsup2.gif JC is right. If you want to invest for him, there are far safer ways to do it than buying comics, especially if you don't know all that much about the industry. If you want to buy him a few comics, fine, but don't break the bank on comics hoping that they'll be worth millions.

JC is somewhat right somewhat. Yes comics are not a good investment purely for making money. But the bank isnt either.

Unless you get a jumbo cd (at least $100,000) you wil probably get rates about 3%

Mutual funds have returned an average of over 12% over the last 30 years. Lets say you are going to invest for example 1 thousand dollars a month the difference after 16 years would be:

3% = 22,169.92

12% = 55,204.40

banks are the biggest scam running gossip.gif

Actually most of the national banks don't advertise rates above 5 percent on 100k+ CDs. I'm sure they'd give you more, but they're probably just waiting for a sucker to go for their advertised rate.

Even 3 percent is generous for most banks. I'd guestimate them closer to between .5-2 percent dependant on the amount.

Brian

JC, I won't hammer you for that. It's a good question and one I hadn't really thought about in that way. I would like to think that I can learn and make this a valuable investment for him as I have already learned so much. It also happens to be something I am enjoying doing. Yes, I very much do lack the knowledge in this field, but every day I learn a little more and I'm betting most everyone who does collect started out as novices with little knowledge, yet many of you probably have super collections now. How long before you became an expert? At what point does a person consider himself as such? Shoot JC, Gotta start somewhere. I should also add that I'm enjoying reading what I am buying at this point (mostly new stuff) so it isn't just for him but also for me.

Don't worry, there is plenty being put in safe investments for the little tyke, this new hobby of mine is more like a "bonus" for him.

________

p.s. I wanted to add this Joe. When I bought TT #14 about 3 months ago, it was because I wanted to read it, nothing more. There was no planning to do more beyond that. What happened was that I enjoyed reading that comic and it made me want to buy more, to rekindle the love I had for those books when I was younger. There was no plan to put together any kind of collection at that point.

When I came across the opp to buy the 91 to 93 comics that you have seen me mention, that was when I started thinking about what I could do for my grandson. If I had already been an expert, no, I wouldn't have bought the comics, but who would have thought that 5000 comics at 50 cents apiece really wasn't a good deal? So, lesson learned there. It is unlikely that I will drop that kind of money on anything else without a better understanding. It is why I come here, to learn and to laugh along the way.

hm, maybe I shoulda just said I plan on selling the bugger??

JC, I won't hammer you for that. It's a good question and one I hadn't really thought about in that way. I would like to think that I can learn and make this a valuable investment for him as I have already learned so much. It also happens to be something I am enjoying doing. Yes, I very much do lack the knowledge in this field, but every day I learn a little more and I'm betting most everyone who does collect started out as novices with little knowledge, yet many of you probably have super collections now. How long before you became an expert? At what point does a person consider himself as such? Shoot JC, Gotta start somewhere. I should also add that I'm enjoying reading what I am buying at this point (mostly new stuff) so it isn't just for him but also for me.

Don't worry, there is plenty being put in safe investments for the little tyke, this new hobby of mine is more like a "bonus" for him.

________

p.s. I wanted to add this Joe. When I bought TT #14 about 3 months ago, it was because I wanted to read it, nothing more. There was no planning to do more beyond that. What happened was that I enjoyed reading that comic and it made me want to buy more, to rekindle the love I had for those books when I was younger. There was no plan to put together any kind of collection at that point.

When I came across the opp to buy the 91 to 93 comics that you have seen me mention, that was when I started thinking about what I could do for my grandson. If I had already been an expert, no, I wouldn't have bought the comics, but who would have thought that 5000 comics at 50 cents apiece really wasn't a good deal? So, lesson learned there. It is unlikely that I will drop that kind of money on anything else without a better understanding. It is why I come here, to learn and to laugh along the way.

hm, maybe I shoulda just said I plan on selling the bugger??

The coolest thing you could do as a grandpa is to get together some boxes of comics, any kind, and just sit on them. Let the kid find them when he gets older... let him feel like he's found something really special that connects him to his grandpa. The most important part of this, of course, is to care about the books you buy. Don't buy for value, buy them because they're important to you, and that will be a gift greater than money to your grandson.

Schlocky moment over.

Back to the flaming upstairs. devil.gif

There was no plan to put together any kind of collection at that point.

I'm trying to be more "hands-off" and let people spend/lose/fritter away money as he or she feels fit. But at the mention of a "grandson" and "investing for him", the alarm bells go off and I had to stand up and be counted.

It's not that a person *can't* become an expert over many years of work and study, but only that in this hype-ridden, movie-crazed, slab-mania, record price comic book market, it is an incredibly DANGEROUS time to start learning.

You got that right JC..

for him to start learning the hobby now is fine.. I applaud that.. 893applaud-thumb.gif and he is actually reading and enjoying the books he has bought....even better. thumbsup2.gif

But the more he learns , and sees... just like us he will most likely want more.

And then one day it might happen... 893whatthe.gif

Eredman might take the plunge and buy a CCG 9.4 key book at 6x guide...

And when his Grandson grows up... who knows what the comic's value will be. confused-smiley-013.gif

So Ered in the end.. do what makes YOU happy.. and buy what YOU like...and as you learn and grow as a collector I think you will find that while the hobby has potential "investment" possibilities.

The main reason to collect comics , is enjoyment.. and as MK said.. to also leave your grandson a part of you....that he also might cheerish cloud9.gif, or if he decides to sell all your stuff.. he might also make some cash.

So Eredman.. go slow.. learn first.. buy second... and have fun.

Welcome to the boards!

Ask any questions you might have, there are no bad questions if it is important to you.

Zeman

Actually most of the national banks don't advertise rates above 5 percent on 100k+ CDs. I'm sure they'd give you more, but they're probably just waiting for a sucker to go for their advertised rate.

Even 3 percent is generous for most banks. I'd guestimate them closer to between .5-2 percent dependant on the amount.

Brian

Orange Bank will give you 2.1% on a savings account.

Thanks for the response guys. I think I'll take all the advice and simply do it for fun and enjoyment and let the chips fall where they may.

Fear not for my grandson as I would never risk his future on something overly risky.

And when I get that "Gem" 10.0 X-Men 266 to put with my "Gem" 10.0 Hulk 181...............hehehe!

about your avatar... 893applaud-thumb.gif

ehh eehheehhhheee

Are you threatening me?

I am cornholio.... sumo.gif

Do you have any candy..?

I need candy and TP.. for my.... er.. well you know.

27_laughing.gif, I would advise you to run away now!!, while you still have your sanity..and cash.

But.. sounds like your hooked.. so welcome bro..lots to read here on this board.

Zeman