• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official eBay Drank My Milkshake Thread

433 posts in this topic

I have found that many off todays generation cannot see or don't care about the big picture, they cannot see past their phone and have been reared with the "it's all about me " mentality

Where you been the last 70 years? That attitude has been around longer than this generation. They are just more open about it now. Where do you think it was learned from?

As a buyer, I will usually give positive feedbacks in an assembly-line fashion, letting purchases build up for a while before going in and CTRL-clicking (making new tabs for each) to give feedback to everybody in one fell swoop. Feedback is entirely optional, but it's nice to follow-up with responsible sellers, so this is the way to do it without spending much time on it.

Your method of saying "Thanks; positive feedback has been left for you" is the best thing you can do. The hint is subtle there. You could go one extra level and write, "Thanks; positive feedback has been left for you. If all is well, please consider leaving me positive feedback." Or something like that. The key is, don't be pushy or anything, since again, the whole process is optional.

Doesn't really bother me much anymore - I leave feedback for everything - I receive feedback for about 2/3rds of the transactions I am a part of.

I usually leave positive for the buyer right after they pay

I never do this and don't recommend anyone else do it either. The way I see it, both sides are leaving feedback about the other based on the transaction as a whole. The transaction isn't completed until the buyer has received the item and is happy about it (and hopefully leaves feedback that reflects that).

What if you leave positive feedback once payment is received and then shenanigans ensue (see any number of Ebay threads here)? They'd end up getting good feedback from you despite displaying terrible behavior. I know you can't neg a bad buyer, but I'd hate to regret leaving a positive feedback for a jerk.

Besides, I find that if a buyer is looking to improve their feedback rating, not leaving feedback immediately encourages them to leave feedback for you. I ONLY leave positive feedback for a buyer if they've left it for me as well. Otherwise, I'm not quite sure when the transaction is actually complete until about 6 months after the auction.

I always leave feedback, it's only fair and luckily I have only had to neg a few times in 5 years.

I agree with not auto positive feedback. What if the buyer ends up being from hell?

You can leave additional feedback if they do something crazy after the payment was made. They have one job imo-- pay for the item. It is on me to deliver it safely. If they try some BS-- I can always say that in the additional feedback. Thankfully-- it is an extremely rare occurrence-- maybe 1 percent of the time. So why treat 99% of my customers as if they are going to screw me?

As for building up a feedback number-- I find the easiest way to do this is use the account for anything you purchase. Sellers almost always give feedback-- most do it after getting payment. It is part of my shipping process--- print the postage, finish the packaging, and leave positive feedback thanking them for the payment and telling them when it is going in the mail.

But not all sellers do and I had a guy lose me as a customer forever when he got belligerent when I asked why he hadn't given me any positive feedback -said something like "feedback is not always given". I asked for it two weeks after getting the item and immediately giving them positive feedback.

Hey-- I get that people are busy but you lost me as a customer by being rude about my request as if I was putting them out. Sell somewhere else clown if this type of followup is so much work for you.

As for getting feedback from buyers, I have enough on my accounts where I no longer worry about the number. But I do watch whenever the number goes up and check the comments/DSRs.

Does anybody else get aggravated when buyers don't leave feedback? I've been selling lower-priced books the past month or so on eBay to build up my seller profile ($15-20 mostly). Through eight transactions, only two buyers have bothered to leave feedback.

I usually leave positive for the buyer right after they pay, and then on the packing slip, I write something like "Thanks for your purchase. Positive feedback has been left..." I also do the same when I purchase books - when I see the comic is in the described condition, arrived safely, etc., I go online and leave feedback the same day. And I get that some people don't get on eBay as often, but it's been weeks since the first of those eight transactions.

It's really frustrating to me.

It used to frustrate me, but it's one of those things beyond my control, so I let it go.

I have over 200 more "feedback left for others" than I do feedback for myself. ~80%, not so bad...

-slym

I always try to leave feedback unless I feel that the seller doesn't deserve feedback or I can't explain in the limited amount of space why I'm giving it a neutral.

Case in point: I bought a silver age Iron Man from a " known collection" a few weeks back. It was supposed to have been VF+ grade. It had several folds on the back cover, stain on the back cover (There was no scan of the back cover so - Mea culpa) and a large non-color-breaking crease on the front cover not visible in the photos.. I consider it my fault that I didn't ask for a better scan or a photo of the back side (I bought it based on the fact that it was a HG copy from The Somebodyburg Collection with a certificate). But maybe in that collection a VF+ means "I set wet tissues on it, and on two occasions I rolled it up and put it in my back pocket."

It's a reader copy for me, and I already have a CGC'd 8.5, so it didn't make me mad. And finding one of that issue (I think it was #15) in a half decent condition was being a pain.

So despite the seller sending several requests to give them feedback, I feel it's in their best interest that I don't leave feedback.

Also, he didn't leave feedback for me. (Probably waiting to see what feedback I leave). And since I paid first, I think the seller should leave feedback first. So, though that doesn't usually prevent me from leaving feedback, It was another niggling thing to make me just want to forget about it.

-Terry

But maybe in that collection a VF+ means "I set wet tissues on it, and on two occasions I rolled it up and put it in my back pocket."

-Terry

:roflmao:

BTW as a seller I always leave feedback for the buyer first, almost never neutral or negative unless the buyer went out of his way to make it clear to me that he was a SPOON eating SPOONing SPOON. Non-paying bidder cases are so much more effective.

Kudos for you for not negging the guy on a clearly negable situation. What do you think would happen if you explained your dissatisfaction tho?

That's a good point, Stu.

I need to point out a correction: I actually just looked it up, and it was IM #14 and it was a listing for VF- (7.5) which I figured was for the multiple spine ticks and the somewhat damaged corners. There was additional damage not visible in the one photo for it on the back cover. Having it in hand I'd say it's a pretty solid 6.0, maybe 6.5 if the grader were being kind and not noticing the one really rounded corner.

And I can't be mad about someone being off by single grade (or half a grade, if I'm being too harsh about the back damage) on a $30 comic. And I don't to be "That guy" that's whining about half a grade on a $30 comic. right?

-Terry

That's a good point, Stu.

I need to point out a correction: I actually just looked it up, and it was IM #14 and it was a listing for VF- (7.5) which I figured was for the multiple spine ticks and the somewhat damaged corners. There was additional damage not visible in the one photo for it on the back cover. Having it in hand I'd say it's a pretty solid 6.0, maybe 6.5 if the grader were being kind and not noticing the one really rounded corner.

And I can't be mad about someone being off by single grade (or half a grade, if I'm being too harsh about the back damage) on a $30 comic. And I don't to be "That guy" that's whining about half a grade on a $30 comic. right?

-Terry

Same here (thumbs u

There are some sellers I contact and I'm like, "look I don't want a refund or leave a negative, I just want to make you aware this is how the USPS handled the shipment ." I've had sellers respond positively and outright lose their SPOON. It's so unpredictable knowing who you've got on the other end of that transaction...

I always leave feedback after being paid. If the buyer turns out to be from hell, giving him a good feedback first might help. Not giving him FB after he paid might just push him over the edge. In game theory if a move might help you and cannot hurt you-you make it.

Does anybody else get aggravated when buyers don't leave feedback? I've been selling lower-priced books the past month or so on eBay to build up my seller profile ($15-20 mostly). Through eight transactions, only two buyers have bothered to leave feedback.

I usually leave positive for the buyer right after they pay, and then on the packing slip, I write something like "Thanks for your purchase. Positive feedback has been left..." I also do the same when I purchase books - when I see the comic is in the described condition, arrived safely, etc., I go online and leave feedback the same day. And I get that some people don't get on eBay as often, but it's been weeks since the first of those eight transactions.

It used to frustrate me, but it's one of those things beyond my control, so I let it go.

I have over 200 more "feedback left for others" than I do feedback for myself. ~80%, not so bad...

-slym

:shrug:

Current Feedback Score 2244

Feedback Left for Me 2885

Feedback Left for Others: 3659

It used to but not anymore. I have around 80 items that have been delivered within the last 60 days and they are all awaiting feedback, however, I'm not very bothered by it. Some leave feedback but the majority of my buyers have not. I feel that if you have done a large amount of transactions and your seller ratings are good, the feedback that people don't leave are nothing but a statistic.

Personally, feedback is good as a seller, but it's the seller ratings that I pay more attention to

I have found that many off todays generation cannot see or don't care about the big picture, they cannot see past their phone and have been reared with the "it's all about me " mentality

Where you been the last 70 years? That attitude has been around longer than this generation. They are just more open about it now. Where do you think it was learned from?

Correct.

Baby boomers also should be criticized for being lazy parents and bad role models for their children.

I hate to yell at my mom for being on the phone at the restaurant. :insane: