• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

End of the Bronze Age

63 posts in this topic

Personally, I always considered the Wolverine Limited Series the beginning of the BA, at least for Marvel.

And all the books from 70s are what, the Silver Age?

I think he meant Wolvie Limited was the beginning of the Copper age... but he can clarify

Personally, I always considered the Wolverine Limited Series the beginning of the BA, at least for Marvel.

My first phase of collecting comics ended around 1974, and at no time up until then did most collectors think the "Silver Age" was actually over. The only demarcation was that 1956-1961 or so was sometimes referred to as "early silver" - basically the dime era and maybe the early 12¢ books (pre-' 64 Marvels referred to as "early Marvels")

I think he meant Wolvie Limited was the beginning of the Copper age... but he can clarify

Haha. Yes, that's what I meant.

I've always believed the ages should be more than just about a single title or character appearance... for me the silver-age begins when each title joined the CCA.

For the end of Bronze, 1984 seems to be the pivotal year. As already mentioned, TMNT begins that year bringing in the age of the Indies, but also very significant is that it is also the demise of two publishing giants... Charlton and Gold Key. The whole industry begins to look completely different in 1984.

For reasons of simplicity, I include any fifty cent book with my BA sales, sixty cents begin the CA.

10-12-15 cent covers = SA

20-50 cent covers = BA

60- $1.50 cent Marvels/DC= CA

anything else= moderns.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 is approximately the start of the Copper Age.

I have always thought of FF #200, Amazing Spider-man #200, Hulk #200, Iron Man #150, X-Men #143, Captain America #255 as the end for Marvels...

These are two very good thresholds. I think the crossover from Bronze to Copper depends strongly on the title and the collecting interests of the individual.

My collecting focus is Spider-man and I've always used the 35-cent cover price as my "personal" end of the Bronze Age. This roughly coincides with the last Ross Andru art and Peter's college graduation in Amazing #185 (#191 being the last 35-center) and the first Frank Miller DD art in Spectacular #27 (#29 being the last 35-center). In both titles, there's a different style to the stories and art that follow. They just don't have the same "feel" to them as the earlier issues in the 70s did.

2c

Not everything falls neatly into “ages.” Why not just go with the year or decade? There is definitely a beginning and an end. Is there any dispute if you use the year or decade? Anything else is opinion. What you call Copper or Bronze is disputable. But if you say the year or decade, there is no doubt.

Some call the 1982 Wolverine Limited Series Bronze. Others say Copper. Bropper or Cronze? It’s debatable. What I know for certain is that it was published 1982 and it’s from the 80s.

Not everything falls neatly into “ages.” Why not just go with the year or decade? There is definitely a beginning and an end. Is there any dispute if you use the year or decade?

Common sense has NO business on this board! :sumo:

lol

If you said, "Comics from the 1980s", people would know EXACTLY what you mean.

There's no way that kind of logic will work on these guys.

They're stuck placing paper products into loosely-defined timeframes named for decreasingly-valued metals, because our senile grandparents would want us to carry on that paper-has-nothing-to-do-with-metal tradition!

I think referring to them by decade rather than ages makes a lot of sense. However, would fandom at large accept that? That's the real challenge.

If fandom gets told anything a few times then the majority will accept it and the minority will spend the next hundred years arguing over it.

In a nutshell 40s & 50s books are Gold, 60s books are Silver, 70s books are Bronze, 80s books are Copper, and 90s to now are Moderns.

Works for me.

What about Chromium? He'll be so disappointed that there won't be an age named after him now.

I think referring to them by decade rather than ages makes a lot of sense. However, would fandom at large accept that? That's the real challenge.

If fandom gets told anything a few times then the majority will accept it and the minority will spend the next hundred years arguing over it.

What have you accepted and/or currently arguing over at the moment?

:popcorn:

In a nutshell 40s & 50s books are Gold, 60s books are Silver, 70s books are Bronze, 80s books are Copper, and 90s to now are Moderns.

Works for me.

What about Chromium? He'll be so disappointed that there won't be an age named after him now.

He can suck it up with the rest of his life disappointments.

What have you accepted and/or currently arguing over at the moment?

:popcorn:

I've finally accepted that Uncle Ben really is dead. :cry:

His motto of "with great power comes great responsibility" inspired me both before and after I got bitten by a radioactive spider.

With Marvel (I’m no DC reader) I look at the editors as well.

From Wikipedia (which I do not consider a proper resource, but it’s to give an idea):

In the mid-1970s, Marvel Comics was undergoing a series of changes in the position of Editor-in-Chief. After Roy Thomas retired from the post in order to focus on writing, a succession of other editors, including Len Wein, Marv Wolfman, Gerry Conway, and Archie Goodwin, took the job during a relatively short span of time, only to find the task too daunting as Marvel continued to grow and add new titles and a larger staff to turn out material.[14] Shooter joined the Marvel staff as an assistant editor and writer.

With the quick turnover at the top, Shooter rapidly found himself rising in the ranks, and in 1978 he succeeded Archie Goodwin to become Marvel's ninth editor-in-chief. During this period, publisher Stan Lee relocated to Los Angeles to better oversee Marvel's animation, television and film projects, leaving Shooter largely in charge of the creative decision-making at Marvel's New York City headquarters.

To me, with the rise of Jim Shooter as an editor-in-chief, a change (which was not so for the good, IMO) happened, so I would say – since Shooter started in 1978, from 1979 onwards.