• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

X-Com was kinda fun but I really wish they didn't go with canned maps and limit the number of soldiers to 6/8. The original X-Com had randomly generated maps, unlimited soldier pools and even tank vehicles.

The remake just seemed so canned, with scripted surprises and events. Plus, I got the same map multiple times during the playthrough, which was incredibly lame.

anyone looking forward to GTA 5?

Yeah, but it got delayed to September 17th, so I'm trying not to think about it right now.

That's too bad.

What about the next generation systems? Any idea when we might get a PS4 or XBox 720 or whatever?

Can't be that far off

Edit: Basically, what Im getting at, if it possible that GTA5 doesnt reach its full potential with a PS4 (for example) probably not that far off

Edited by Erndog

X-Com was kinda fun but I really wish they didn't go with canned maps and limit the number of soldiers to 6/8. The original X-Com had randomly generated maps, unlimited soldier pools and even tank vehicles.

The remake just seemed so canned, with scripted surprises and events. Plus, I got the same map multiple times during the playthrough, which was incredibly lame.

I didn't play the original, and I am glad. Not because it was supposed to be anything less than awesome, but because I know the remake would suffer in comparison.

Enemy Unknown isn't perfect, there are some annoying line of sight bugs, many missions seem similar, the directions/tutorial didn't emphasize core gameplay elements enough (like how crucial it is to build satellites) which results in early restarts, the cutscene graphics kinda suck, etc, but I still REALLY like it. Just so sick of CoD/Halo type shooters. Those types of games are great, but there are just too many at this point.

Graphics do cost money, but they also drive the industry (whether they should or not). The developers that made money this generation made A LOT of money, and it's in their best interests to push graphical fidelity as far as the tech allows. Developers who are struggling to hang on may cry foul, but they are not driving the industry.

What rising development costs likely mean is fewer developers, fewer new IPs, and more indie games. The financial heavyweights will continue to push graphics.

Of course, and as long as you don't mind playing CoD games all day then it's great. Just don't expect anything new or innovative as the next-gen platforms don't make economic sense for anything but sequels or spin-offs.

Personally, I'd take current graphics with a wide variety of games and new IPs over shiner sequels, but that's just not the way it'll unfold, unfortunately. I was playing Hitman: Absolution last night, and thinking to myself that graphics don't really need to be much better than this, at least not for me.

anyone looking forward to GTA 5?

Yeah, but it got delayed to September 17th, so I'm trying not to think about it right now.

That's too bad.

What about the next generation systems? Any idea when we might get a PS4 or XBox 720 or whatever?

Can't be that far off

Edit: Basically, what Im getting at, if it possible that GTA5 doesnt reach its full potential with a PS4 (for example) probably not that far off

Rockstar has the right attitude; they throw everything but the kitchen sink at their games, and they aren't concerned with making deadlines. In the long run it's a good thing because no one can touch them in terms of the scale, quality and polish of their open-world environments (take notes, Bethesda). I think GTA V will be the swan song of this console generation.

Word is, we'll be getting new consoles at the end of the year, and if not then early next year at the latest. Sony is making a major announcement at the end of the month.

How long is X-Com's campaign?

Depends on if you want to race through it or not. Most online estimates said 20-30 hours. I am pretty patient and methodical when it comes to strategy stuff, so mine with probably be on the longer end. Gamers used to CoD type speeds will probably be much faster.

Speaking of CoD, I played the campaign for Modern Warfare 2 a few days ago and beat it in one sitting! It was fun, but definitely just tacked on to a game that totally emphasizes multiplayer.

How long is X-Com's campaign?

Depends on if you want to race through it or not. Most online estimates said 20-30 hours. I am pretty patient and methodical when it comes to strategy stuff, so mine with probably be on the longer end. Gamers used to CoD type speeds will probably be much faster.

Speaking of CoD, I played the campaign for Modern Warfare 2 a few days ago and beat it in one sitting! It was fun, but definitely just tacked on to a game that totally emphasizes multiplayer.

I suck at strategy games, which probably means I should double that estimate for myself.

Most COD fans I know buy the games on day 1 and jump right into multiplayer.

Graphics do cost money, but they also drive the industry (whether they should or not). The developers that made money this generation made A LOT of money, and it's in their best interests to push graphical fidelity as far as the tech allows. Developers who are struggling to hang on may cry foul, but they are not driving the industry.

What rising development costs likely mean is fewer developers, fewer new IPs, and more indie games. The financial heavyweights will continue to push graphics.

Of course, and as long as you don't mind playing CoD games all day then it's great. Just don't expect anything new or innovative as the next-gen platforms don't make economic sense for anything but sequels or spin-offs.

graphics don't really need to be much better than this, at least not for me.

Ive been saying that since the snes! :insane:

Personally, I'd take current graphics with a wide variety of games and new IPs over shiner sequels, but that's just not the way it'll unfold, unfortunately. I was playing Hitman: Absolution last night, and thinking to myself that graphics don't really need to be much better than this, at least not for me.

Same here and with something like Borderlands/Borderlands 2 with cel-shaded graphics, it really can't get much better. And I'd rather have Skyrim, KOA, Sacred 2, etc. RPGs than just the latest TES game because every one else went out of business.

I think this current gen is really going to suck for anyone who doesn't exclusively play sequel-shooters like CoD, Halo, Gears of War and Medal of Honor, as that's about all we're going to get. Innovation drops every single generation, and I can see this one being especially bad for RPG, strategy and action games.

Innovation drops every single generation, and I can see this one being especially bad for RPG, strategy and action games.

Beginning when exactly? Pong? Atari? Intellivision? Commodore64? Nintendo? Sega? Xbox?

Are you really making the argument that every generation of console the innovation has been less than previously? :roflmao:

Innovation drops every single generation, and I can see this one being especially bad for RPG, strategy and action games.

Beginning when exactly? Pong? Atari? Intellivision? Commodore64? Nintendo? Sega? Xbox?

Are you really making the argument that every generation of console the innovation has been less than previously? :roflmao:

I think he's saying that games themselves have lost innovation.

Basically that the games being played now are the same games and game formats that were invented 15-20 years ago. The only thing that's changing is that the graphics are prettier.

I can't argue with that. It's the truth.

And I'd rather have Skyrim, KOA, Sacred 2, etc. RPGs than just the latest TES game because every one else went out of business.

I'm actually somewhat optimistic on the RPG front; have you played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls? If not and you're a fan of dungeon crawlers, they're a must, and it's looking like Dark Souls 2 is slated for next gen. There's also Dragon's Dogma which I'd put slightly above KOA, and which is getting a sequel. Then you have Deus Ex and the Dragon Age series, as well as word that a new Mass Effect is in the works. Then there's the Witcher 2. Lots of great RPG series going into next gen, and Skyrim, Dragon Age and Mass Effect's phenomenal sales ensure that the industry isn't going to completely turn its back on RPGs.

Basically that the games being played now are the same games and game formats that were invented 15-20 years ago. The only thing that's changing is that the graphics are prettier.

In terms of game design, I think the industry is stagnant. When something new does come along, like motion controls, music games, etc...they eventually fade out. But I'm not sure that's a bad thing necessarily, at least not right now.

I still contend that gaming has never been better, but I also see that creativity is being stifled when it comes to major studios. I could see this being a problem going forward, but it could just as easily go in the other direction.

Super pumped for Dead space 3 tomorrow. Cannot wait to get outa work

Me too. :headbang:

Not starting with Pong, but I think the number of genres represented by main stream video game titles have sharply declined since the NES/SNES/PS1 eras. I remember having tons of different types of games growing up. Shooters, side scrollers, RPGs, beat-em-ups, puzzle games, quiz games, sports games, platform games, etc, etc, etc. Now it's getting tougher and tougher to find something that isn't a sequel shooter or first person RPG. Most of the new games are undeniably awesome, but I agree with JC that variety seems to decline with every new generation.

Saw this thread and was shocked there was only 1 mention of the Walking Dead video game. I know it's not as hot as the comic or other games out there but I was surprised to enjoy it so much. I'm normally a FPS junkie where my primary crack is COD BO2 multiplayer and zombies as well as Halo4 but I also dabble in StarCraft strategy games. But I'm sooo addicted to this Walking Dead game I haven't touched the others in over a week. I'm only on Episode 3 mainly because I love going back and trying different decisions. I love that it is decision based but would like it more if those decisions actually resulted in drastically different outcomes. The limitation is that sometimes regardless of the decision, the character you choose to save or side with still dies which seems flaky but I love the immersion and storyline. It helps to fill in the void while waiting for the next season of the AMC TWD show to start.

Not starting with Pong, but I think the number of genres represented by main stream video game titles have sharply declined since the NES/SNES/PS1 eras. I remember having tons of different types of games growing up. Shooters, side scrollers, RPGs, beat-em-ups, puzzle games, quiz games, sports games, platform games, etc, etc, etc. Now it's getting tougher and tougher to find something that isn't a sequel shooter or first person RPG. Most of the new games are undeniably awesome, but I agree with JC that variety seems to decline with every new generation.

Edit to my earlier comment...

I know that there are companies out there that focus on doing more cutting edge stuff, and they are being recognized for it. Flower comes to mind and my wife, and a lot of my friends, love that game. It wasn't really my thing, but their new game Journey looks awesome, similar to Shadow of the Colossus.

http://thatgamecompany.com/games/journey/