• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

meh

It may not be the gilded age of game development, but there's plenty of innovation out there. That's like people pointing to Hollywood blockbusters and crying because there aren't enough good indy films out there. They both exist. Not to mention, it's all about where you draw the line as to what was the high point for innovation in gaming.

meh

It may not be the gilded age of game development, but there's plenty of innovation out there. That's like people pointing to Hollywood blockbusters and crying because there aren't enough good indy films out there. They both exist. Not to mention, it's all about where you draw the line as to what was the high point for innovation in gaming.

I'd say Stargate, Joust, Sinistar and Robotron. It has been down hill ever since. (shrug)

Innovation drops every single generation, and I can see this one being especially bad for RPG, strategy and action games.

Beginning when exactly? Pong? Atari? Intellivision? Commodore64? Nintendo? Sega? Xbox?

Are you really making the argument that every generation of console the innovation has been less than previously? :roflmao:

I think he's saying that games themselves have lost innovation.

Basically that the games being played now are the same games and game formats that were invented 15-20 years ago. The only thing that's changing is that the graphics are prettier.

I can't argue with that. It's the truth.

Not starting with Pong, but I think the number of genres represented by main stream video game titles have sharply declined since the NES/SNES/PS1 eras. I remember having tons of different types of games growing up. Shooters, side scrollers, RPGs, beat-em-ups, puzzle games, quiz games, sports games, platform games, etc, etc, etc. Now it's getting tougher and tougher to find something that isn't a sequel shooter or first person RPG. Most of the new games are undeniably awesome, but I agree with JC that variety seems to decline with every new generation.

All these game types you mention exist, but they appear obscure or hard to find simply because the colossal marketing budget isn't there. You aren't going to see a billboard for many of these games on the way to work, but they're there.

meh

Variety, quality and innovation are all very different things. I'd say the first 2 have been present in this console generation in spades, but the latter not so much.

meh

I'd say Stargate, Joust, Sinistar and Robotron. It has been down hill ever since. (shrug)

:eyeroll:

meh

Variety, quality and innovation are all very different things. I'd say the first 2 have been present in this console generation in spades, but the latter not so much.

Don't you kind of hit a wall as to how many different types of games can really be made and be interesting to the public? That's assuming you equate innovation with changing the game type.

meh

Don't you kind of hit a wall as to how many different types of games can really be made and be interesting to the public? That's assuming you equate innovation with changing the game type.

I'm inclined to say yes after watching this generation unfold.

Motion controls caught on for a while, particularly when the Wii launched, but that fizzled out. Around the same time period, we saw games like Rockband and Guitar Hero rise and fall very quickly. On-Live went bankrupt within a year of its release, Sony pretty much abandoned its motion controls because no one cared, the Vita is an incredible piece of hardware and innovative in its own right, but no one's buying, and the Kinect has failed to deliver on anything that isn't a dance game.

On the software front, there are games in each genre that are better than that respective genre's sales front-runners that get no love. Like with movies, better does not equal more successful, so boundary-pushing games often go unnoticed or at worst, completely flop.

For myself, I think it's great to see new concepts and ideas implemented well, but I'm also inclined to agree that we don't need constant innovation to get quality experiences and value for our dollar. I've been gaming since getting an NES as a kid, and I contend that this is the BEST time to be a gamer. I also contend that this was the best console generation as far as quality experiences go, even with sequel-itis and various other minor imperfections.

is there a actual date for the new Tomb Raider game, thought it was this month but i can imagine it being put back again? Last of Us is catching my attention aswell

March 5th for Tomb Raider in North America. The Last of Us is May 7th, and I've already pre-ordered the collector's edition. Can't wait.

A Knight, a Scientist, and a Hillbilly Walk Into a Cave…

Personally i only tried the demo for like 5 minutes before buying. I'm only 15 minutes in so far.

Miss these kind of games and i can't wait to see Double Fines kickstarter project...

PS: Is it just me or those the Cave sound like George Decay ?

Anyone grab Dead Space 3? I played 2 and was kind of turned off by the direction it was taking, more of a shooter than survival horror and I wondering if anyone could share their impressions before I plop down my $59.99.

I picked it up this morning. I'm anxious to get home and play. I'll post my thoughts later if you want.

To be fair though, I think Dead Space was always a shooter with horror elements, not a horror game with shooting elements. As long as 3 retains the atmosphere and difficulty of the first 2 games, I'll be satisfied.

I'm looking forward to Aliens: Colonial Marines. Been waiting for that game for a few years now :cloud9:
:whee:

Hey, did you play the semi recent Aliens Vs Predator game? It looked cool, but for whatever reason I never picked it up. If you played it I'd be interested in your thoughts on it.

I'm looking forward to Aliens: Colonial Marines. Been waiting for that game for a few years now :cloud9:

Hey, did you play the semi recent Aliens Vs Predator game? It looked cool, but for whatever reason I never picked it up. If you played it I'd be interested in your thoughts on it.

No (wish I did though)

Anyone grab Dead Space 3? I played 2 and was kind of turned off by the direction it was taking, more of a shooter than survival horror and I wondering if anyone could share their impressions before I plop down my $59.99.

I picked it up this morning. I'm anxious to get home and play. I'll post my thoughts later if you want.

To be fair though, I think Dead Space was always a shooter with horror elements, not a horror game with shooting elements. As long as 3 retains the atmosphere and difficulty of the first 2 games, I'll be satisfied.

Loved the first two games. I saw there was a demo for 3....but did not get around to trying it.

No (wish I did though)

The last one was not that great. I hope the newer one is great...but there was huge hype leading up to the last game....like there is with this game. Was a pretty big let down that the game was not great last time. :wishluck:

Loved the first two games. I saw there was a demo for 3....but did not get around to trying it.

I'm on chapter 5. And it's the same as two which in a way was the same as the first. I loved the second one personally. The game is tough the first round through. Guns are weak and its very slow on finding supplies. I'm at a part were ur stuck in a room fighting 2 of those uber morphs ( regenerating ones). Talk about intense. I like it I'm still in the beginning so I need more time to make a better decision, but if you liked the first two you will like this. More of a "go do this Isaac" and "go do that". Like side missions. Def not as linear as the second one. There's lots of different ways you can go