• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

197 pages is too much to read...

I know someone shares my passion for Game and Watch! I'd love to show off some of mine but my photobucket acccount has become screwy and its contents, while they have not vanished, have become inaccessible.

Anyone know their ancient game systems? I'm looking into getting an Atari 800, but I need to know what components I'll need to get playing right out of the box. I had a Commodore 64 a long time ago, and I figure it's similar. Unfortunately, my aging memory won't allow me to remember these things. Can it be hooked up to a TV, or do I need one of the old monitors? Thanks for any info.

Unless they are in great condition I doubt systems will be worth much

I've been playing Dark Souls lately.

For anyone interested in playing this game,I must warn you:

THIS GAME IS :censored: BRUTAL!!!!! :pullhair:

Think of it as Ghost & Goblins on steroids(minus the bad controls) :pullhair:

You will die a lot ( and I do mean A LOT in this game :frustrated: )

I bought this game for $20 at Best Buy (thought it was a good deal)

But it's oh so addicting (yes,I am crazy :insane: )

I want to add this game's platinum list so bad :insane:

I've heard mean things about Dark Souls. But harder than GnG? That's a bold statement. Same with Battletoads. My friend got so pissed playing this game, he launched the whole system across his yard ,into the street.

I've been playing Dark Souls lately.

For anyone interested in playing this game,I must warn you:

THIS GAME IS :censored: BRUTAL!!!!! :pullhair:

Think of it as Ghost & Goblins on steroids(minus the bad controls) :pullhair:

You will die a lot ( and I do mean A LOT in this game :frustrated: )

I bought this game for $20 at Best Buy (thought it was a good deal)

But it's oh so addicting (yes,I am crazy :insane: )

I want to add this game's platinum list so bad :insane:

I've heard mean things about Dark Souls. But harder than GnG? That's a bold statement. Same with Battletoads. My friend got so pissed playing this game, he launched the whole system across his yard ,into the street.

Dark Souls is where it's at, love it/hate it at the same time. I played the original Demon's Souls, I thought it was brutal until I played Dark Souls. Cannot wait for Dark Souls 2 in March, got the launch day off from work just to play and spend my time dying over and over.

he was just asking how to hook them up... its not ALL about value :baiting:

My bad... For some reason I thought he was asking if it was worth something

Some of the games are really valuable, but it's not one of those systems people focus on. I tend to like the more obscure to collect. Intellivision, odyssey, and others. For money purposes, I collected NES almost exclusively.

Some of the games are really valuable, but it's not one of those systems people focus on. I tend to like the more obscure to collect. Intellivision, odyssey, and others. For money purposes, I collected NES almost exclusively.

What would you pay for a NES system? Do you think it has to have a new 72 pin? I've been watching some ebay deals and been tempted to buy one for nostalgia and my kids to play. My wife thinks we should just get out the SNES though which I sort of agree with.

You can't go wrong with either the NES or the SNES. They are both a ton of fun.

If you're going to buy a NES get a top loader modded to have AV output.

Then you don't have to worry about all the pin connector issues you get with the toaster. Costs a little more but well worth it.

What would you pay for a NES system? Do you think it has to have a new 72 pin? I've been watching some ebay deals and been tempted to buy one for nostalgia and my kids to play. My wife thinks we should just get out the SNES though which I sort of agree with.

Get this

http://gadizmo.com/hyperkins-five-in-one-retron-5-console-is-a-retro-gaming-dream-come-true.php

Do you own one? I'm interested in reading reviews before thinking about buying one.

There were production issues, a delayed release, etc. Have they got all the bugs worked out? I dunno.

http://www.the-gamers-lounge.com/ryan-johnson/2014/1/25/retron5-interview-with-paul-leung-from-hyperkin

Waiting for them to release it.

Do you own one? I'm interested in reading reviews before thinking about buying one.

There were production issues, a delayed release, etc. Have they got all the bugs worked out? I dunno.

http://www.the-gamers-lounge.com/ryan-johnson/2014/1/25/retron5-interview-with-paul-leung-from-hyperkin

Waiting for them to release it.

If only it played N64 games as well :cloud9:

You can't go wrong with either the NES or the SNES. They are both a ton of fun.

If you're going to buy a NES get a top loader modded to have AV output.

Then you don't have to worry about all the pin connector issues you get with the toaster. Costs a little more but well worth it.

All I ever needed was a butter knife 2 fix all my buddies games 4 a sweet chip crunch lol. Hey Bronty. Long time ;<)

Got my atari 800 yesterday. Played me some Pac-Man, Hardball, Fort Apocalypse, and the reason I bought it.. 4 player M.U.L.E. Can't quite get the hang of the joystick. Even an expensive one. Luckily, I can use a Genesis game pad in its place.

Still can't figure out how to load discs with multiple "friendly" games on them. Lost there. Anyone have any idea?

Here's the TechCrunch article

Here's the Yahoo article.

Amazon Could Be Preparing a Video Game Console

BY Gary Krakow | 02/06/14 - 09:58 AM EST

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It looks, by Amazon's (AMZN_) latest moves, as if it's planning to build a video game console of its own. The company just acquired California-based game developer Double Helix Games for an undisclosed amount.

Double Helix is best known for creating "Killer Instinct," one of the first titles available at launch for Microsoft's (MSFT_) latest Xbox One device.

Amazon shares were advancing nearly 1% to $349.84 in early New York trading on Thursday.

In confirming earlier rumors, Amazon told Game Informer that it bought Double Helix as part of its "ongoing commitment to build innovative games for customers."

No formal announcement of the deal has been made, but according to other published reports, journalists receiving invitations to an Amazon/Double Helix event scheduled for next Thursday in Los Angeles believe the deal will be formalized at that time.

Amazon has been interested in the video game business for some time. The company purchased video game maker Reflective Entertainment more than five years ago. Recently, it has been recruiting developers to work at its new Amazon Game Studios.

A number of industry experts believe Amazon has been developing a new gaming console which was expected to have been announced last fall. The device is now expected to be released this spring. Retail price estimates are currently in the $300 range.

Amazon has historically had great success with its own line of consumer electronics beginning with its first Kindle book reader announced in November 2007, through its Kindle Fire line of Android tablets introduced in September 2011. An Amazon game console could prove to be a huge challenge for current industry rivals Sony (SNE_), Microsoft and Nintendo.

-- Written by Gary Krakow in New York.