• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

So I spent the day Friday with my 72 year old grandpa. At one point he turned on his Playstation and challenged me to COD Ghosts. I'm pretty decent at MW3 at this point so I figured it would be easy. I think he beat me 45 to 5 lol

I've never played on a split screen, I wasn't familiar with the maps or the preset soldiers. I chose terrible weapons and wandered around aimlessly while he hunted me like the Predator. So today I ordered Ghosts online for our eventual rematch.

On a more positive note (although most people will have played it by now) I have been working through some backlog, trying out games to see what's worth it to play, and I found a crazy, zany, maniacal gem from the past:

Prototype

I know it's an older game, but for some reason I never got around to playing it. And for a gamer who was very impressed with the Infamous games, Prototype is like Infamous on Steroids. Just absolutely insane action, and the sheer mayhem is incredible. It's probably as close to comic book action (think Hulk + Venom) as I've ever seen in a video game, and I really like that it's an open-world "sandbox" design.

The story is not as good as Infamous and some missions can get repetitive, but the action is 10X better and much more visceral. Plus you can just run around like a maniac if you want, tossing buses and tanks around, throwing civilians around and running up walls. Plus, the game allows you to achieve goals different ways, without the linearity in some other sandbox games (like Infamous).

Right at the start, there was a mission where I was being chased by an attack chopper and I was *supposed* to go to a roof and toss air conditioner units (or something) at them. Screw that. I chased one from roof to roof, finally leaping onto it in mid-air, and punching it all the way down to the pavement.

Mission Accomplished.

The I noticed one of my kids sitting on the stairs - "What are you playing Dad, that was crazy!". lol

I wanted to thank you for your recommendation. Based on your review, picked up a used copy. It is indeed one of the most fun, action packed games ever. Just awesome, incredible gameplay. "Visceral" describes it well. A shame that a game this good didn't get the big press.

Might have missed it completely if not for this review here. Thanks again.

Anyone else know any underappreciated gems?

I wanted to thank you for your recommendation. Based on your review, picked up a used copy. It is indeed one of the most fun, action packed games ever. Just awesome, incredible gameplay. "Visceral" describes it well. A shame that a game this good didn't get the big press.

No problem, and I still have an unopened copy of Prototype 2 sitting in the backlog. I wonder if it'll be better or worse?

Saw a tweet from Sony yesterday that said there are 100 games for PS4 slated for release this year.

Thats a lot of games!

Yeah, 20 actual retail games, 10 PS3/PS2 "classics" and 70 psn minis and indies. lol

If Sony & co. actually releases 100 *brand new* retail disc games for the PS4 in 2014 (not counting PS2/PS3 retreads), then I'll buy 2 PS4's.

No problem, and I still have an unopened copy of Prototype 2 sitting in the backlog. I wonder if it'll be better or worse?

I enjoyed 2 more then 1. (thumbs u

Saw a tweet from Sony yesterday that said there are 100 games for PS4 slated for release this year.

Thats a lot of games!

Yeah, 20 actual retail games, 10 PS3/PS2 "classics" and 70 psn minis and indies. lol

If Sony & co. actually releases 100 *brand new* retail disc games for the PS4 in 2014 (not counting PS2/PS3 retreads), then I'll buy 2 PS4's.

Yeah, didn't even think of it, but you're probably right. Over half will be the PSN mini free/cheap downloadable games.

I made it through perhaps the most evil video game level ever conceived over the weekend, Blighttown. if you play or have played Dark Souls you will understand why I think this game level is pure evil.
I know what you mean :pullhair:

Have you been to Tomb of the Giants yet?

That's a tough level too.

Dark Souls is the most evil game I've ever played :pullhair:

It's more evil than Ghost & Goblins :pullhair: :pullhair:

I can't tell how many times I died in the game (enough to make the Grim Reaper retire early :insane: )

Got Tomb Raider the Definitive Edition last week for my ps4 and can say its friggin amazing! Almost done with it now. Today I picked up the newly released playstation gold gaming headsets which is supposed to provide 7.1 surround sound and improved audio quality. Haven't tried it out yet but needless to say im excited to test them! I'll update with my impressions of them soon. http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/playstation-gold-wireless-headset/113756

Got Tomb Raider the Definitive Edition last week for my ps4 and can say its friggin amazing! Almost done with it now. Today I picked up the newly released playstation gold gaming headsets which is supposed to provide 7.1 surround sound and improved audio quality. Haven't tried it out yet but needless to say im excited to test them! I'll update with my impressions of them soon. http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/playstation-gold-wireless-headset/113756

Care to send me Tomb Raider when you're done with it ;):whistle:

Care to send me Tomb Raider when you're done with it ;):whistle:

It's digital :baiting:

haha

I've got $40 thats literally burning a whole in my PS wallet that I may just chuck down towards Tomb Raider.

DO IT! I knew I would like it but didn't think I'd end up loving it. Besides you clearly like Daredevil as do I so therefore it's only natural that we'd have the same taste in video games lol

haha

I've got $40 thats literally burning a whole in my PS wallet that I may just chuck down towards Tomb Raider.

DO IT! I knew I would like it but didn't think I'd end up loving it. Besides you clearly like Daredevil as do I so therefore it's only natural that we'd have the same taste in video games lol

Pretty much my thoughts exactly! (thumbs u

I made it through perhaps the most evil video game level ever conceived over the weekend, Blighttown. if you play or have played Dark Souls you will understand why I think this game level is pure evil.
I know what you mean :pullhair:

Have you been to Tomb of the Giants yet?

That's a tough level too.

Dark Souls is the most evil game I've ever played :pullhair:

It's more evil than Ghost & Goblins :pullhair: :pullhair:

I can't tell how many times I died in the game (enough to make the Grim Reaper retire early :insane: )

Tomb of the giants is tough, but you can bait the enemies to attack one by one, whereas in Blighttown they swarm. And Blighttown has those snipers who can make you toxic with two hits from their darts.

haha

I picked up the Tomb Raider game on the XBox marketplace for like 14 bucks or something. It was one of the best games I'd played in some time and I'm still amazed by how cheap it was. Do yourself a favor and pick it up.

I'm not sure what the difference is in the new game though. I was tempted to buy it on my XBox One but I just figured I could go back to my 360 and play it if I really wanted.

haha

I picked up the Tomb Raider game on the XBox marketplace for like 14 bucks or something. It was one of the best games I'd played in some time and I'm still amazed by how cheap it was. Do yourself a favor and pick it up.

I'm not sure what the difference is in the new game though. I was tempted to buy it on my XBox One but I just figured I could go back to my 360 and play it if I really wanted.

From what I've heard the major differences would be an upgrade in the graphics department, included DLC and costumes from the get go. May be more but not too sure. May or may not be worth the upgrade

Tomb Raider was fun, but I really want to see how Borderlands 2 translates to the Vita.

I am also hoping that with the PS4 and Xbox One effectively being PCs, that developers will port over some older PC games. I would love to have access to some PC classics on PSN as well as some PS3 games that also have PC counterparts, like the original Borderlands.

At least we should get some bonuses for buying paywall'ed mini-PCs for the living room.

And yes, I know all about their stupid streaming subscription service, but I'm not that enthused with server-based gaming, other than low-resolution web-, and I am definitely taking a wait-n-see attitude with this.

From what I've heard the major differences would be an upgrade in the graphics department, included DLC and costumes from the get go.

The digital copies on PS3 and Xbox have the DLC as well, and I actually like the original graphics, as the PS4/Xbox One version changes the face and body to fit the new actress (why, I have no idea?) - I prefer the original Lara myself.

What Has Happened to Lara Croft's Face in PS4 Port Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/01/what_has_happened_to_lara_crofts_face_in_ps4_port_tomb_raider_definitive_edition

They also got rid of the "grim and gritty" Lara in favor of a more PG-line:

Honestly, from this limited footage, I like the original face better, though I’ll have to reserve final judgement for when I play the game itself. There’s also a tangential critique about Croft not looking as “gritty and dirty” in the new footage, when the old version of the character was constantly covering in blood, mud and grime.