• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

I enjoyed Tomb Raider on the PS3; I'd like to try out the PS4 version, but I'm not spending $60 for a graphical upgrade of a game I've already played and finished. I might pick it up when the price goes way down.

From what I've heard the major differences would be an upgrade in the graphics department, included DLC and costumes from the get go.

The digital copies on PS3 and Xbox have the DLC as well, and I actually like the original graphics, as the PS4/Xbox One version changes the face and body to fit the new actress (why, I have no idea?) - I prefer the original Lara myself.

What Has Happened to Lara Croft's Face in PS4 Port Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/01/what_has_happened_to_lara_crofts_face_in_ps4_port_tomb_raider_definitive_edition

They also got rid of the "grim and gritty" Lara in favor of a more PG-line:

Honestly, from this limited footage, I like the original face better, though I’ll have to reserve final judgement for when I play the game itself. There’s also a tangential critique about Croft not looking as “gritty and dirty” in the new footage, when the old version of the character was constantly covering in blood, mud and grime.

All I care about is the though- is that the same?

From what I've heard the major differences would be an upgrade in the graphics department, included DLC and costumes from the get go.

The digital copies on PS3 and Xbox have the DLC as well, and I actually like the original graphics, as the PS4/Xbox One version changes the face and body to fit the new actress (why, I have no idea?) - I prefer the original Lara myself.

What Has Happened to Lara Croft's Face in PS4 Port Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/01/what_has_happened_to_lara_crofts_face_in_ps4_port_tomb_raider_definitive_edition

They also got rid of the "grim and gritty" Lara in favor of a more PG-line:

Honestly, from this limited footage, I like the original face better, though Ill have to reserve final judgement for when I play the game itself. Theres also a tangential critique about Croft not looking as gritty and dirty in the new footage, when the old version of the character was constantly covering in blood, mud and grime.

The PS3 version is pretty grisly in some parts. Especially the quick time events that could result in your horrible mutilating death. I enjoyed that last Tomb Raider, and I've never been a fan of that series.

Ok so update on the playstation gold headsets. Sounded pretty good. Bass is just right imo as usually I feel like the bass is too overbearing. I played COD ghosts online and it really felt like I was in a war zone. Not too sure if thats actually a good thing lol but seriously these headsets are amazing. pick up the foot steps all around me and the sound of the gun shots are really crisp. Explosions coming from all directions help with the intensity of the game which was cool.

Also used them with Tomb Raider which I just finished. May wanna get the platinum for this one but the online trophies i hear take long :frustrated:

Tomb Raider was fun, but I really want to see how Borderlands 2 translates to the Vita.

You know, Borderlands 2 was one game I couldnt get into. I heard such great things, I was super amped to get it, played it a bit and couldn't stand it. Hated it really.

Maybe I didn't play it enough or get far enough but it seemed like such a crappy, cartoony, shooter to me (shrug)

You know, Borderlands 2 was one game I couldnt get into. I heard such great things, I was super amped to get it, played it a bit and couldn't stand it. Hated it really.

Maybe I didn't play it enough or get far enough but it seemed like such a crappy, cartoony, shooter to me (shrug)

You should try the first Borderlands if you can find it cheap (GOTY is a good deal), as it's 10X the game that BL2 is. Darker, a better sense of time and place, no juvenile humor (until the last DLC, and it's pretty good), better music, much, much better loot system, and overall a far superior game to the sequel.

You may not "like" it, but you'll probably "like it better" than BL2.

BL2 just want too far over to the "land of the maroon fanboys" and you almost have to play BL1 just to force yourself to wade through the idiotic story and sophomoric non-humor. Still a fun game for me, but probably only because I have such an appreciation for the first game. But even so, it's "eye-roll" every few seconds at how incredibly stupid the game's story and non-humor are.

Going in blind, I'd probably feel the same way you do, as I don't imagine BL2 stands well on its own.

You should try the first Borderlands if you can find it cheap (GOTY is a good deal), as it's 10X the game that BL2 is. Darker, a better sense of time and place, no juvenile humor (until the last DLC, and it's pretty good), better music, much, much better loot system, and overall a far superior game to the sequel.

BL2 just want too far over to the "land of the maroon fanboys" and you almost have to play BL1 just to force yourself to wade through the idiotic story and sophomoric non-humor. Still a fun game for me, but probably only because I have such an appreciation for the first game. But even so, it's "eye-roll" every few seconds at how incredibly stupid the game's story and non-humor are.

Going in blind, I'd probably feel the same way you do, as I don't imagine BL2 stands well on its own.

Cool, thanks for the info. The hype around BL2 really surprised me. Very rarely do I not enjoy a "GOTY" type of game but this was definitely the worst one I ever played. Perhaps I'll check it out on the Vita.

I've been playing my Vita much more than my PS4 as it stands.

I played Borderlands for 2-3 hours and haven't picked it up since. Still alternating my time between Rocksmith and Dishonored.

Love Dishonored, but I'm surprised you didn't play a bit more of the original Borderlands. I just love the atmosphere of the game, and the fact that you don't (like in BL2) have jerks and pinheads talking all the time, narrating, talking on recordings, Handsome Jack screaming in your ear, etc. - you can just *play* the game in peace.

And you actually feel like you're alone on a hostile planet, and not part of some Saturday Morning Cartoon like on BL2.

Cool, thanks for the info. The hype around BL2 really surprised me. Very rarely do I not enjoy a "GOTY" type of game but this was definitely the worst one I ever played. Perhaps I'll check it out on the Vita.

It's going to be the same game, and believe me, I agree with many of your issues with the sequel. Seriously, if you find the original Borderlands for cheap, give it a shot. It's by far the superior game, and a lot of the BL2 hype is due to goodwill created by the original.

Maybe I'll take another shot at it in the future. IIRC, it felt like: drive around, retrieve something, drive back, go get something else, drive back. All the while fighting off apocalyptic mutants. Of course, now that I think about it, that might be a summary of a lot of games.

I laughed out loud at everything tiny Tina said. lol:tonofbricks:

Maybe I'll take another shot at it in the future. IIRC, it felt like: drive around, retrieve something, drive back, go get something else, drive back. All the while fighting off apocalyptic mutants. Of course, now that I think about it, that might be a summary of a lot of games.

Yeah, fetch quests are a big part of a lot of modern day games. I guess it's to extend the gameplay to make you feel like you got your monies worth for a sixty dollar release.

:eyeroll:

I honestly turned the volume off about 1/3 of the way through BL2 because the constant yammering was too irritating. It's even worse when farming certain areas (like near the end of the base game, that big robot on the tramway) as they auto-load these horrible monologues and character banter over and over and over and over again.

It's like Chinese water torture in HD.

:eyeroll:

I honestly turned the volume off about 1/3 of the way through BL2 because the constant yammering was too irritating. It's even worse when farming certain areas (like near the end of the base game, that big robot on the tramway) as they auto-load these horrible monologues and character banter over and over and over and over again.

It's like Chinese water torture in HD.

I thought the dialog with Tiny Tina was some of the funniest stuff that I have heard in games. I guess we just find different things amusing. :foryou: The fetch stuff and farming for items did get annoying but I thought the dialog always kept the game moving along.

It's going to be the same game, and believe me, I agree with many of your issues with the sequel. Seriously, if you find the original Borderlands for cheap, give it a shot. It's by far the superior game, and a lot of the BL2 hype is due to goodwill created by the original.

I played Borderlands 1 for a few hours, but found the levelling up a bit too tedious.

but I thought the dialog always kept the game moving along.

About an hour in, I wanted to find the voice actor for Handsome Jack and put my fist through his stomach. :mad:

And there are some really bad acting sequences in the game, like anything with Angel in it. Tiny Tina's voice acting was at least good (even if the writing was bad), but some of them were terrible, like Maya when she gets angry. "I'll get you Jack!". doh!

So I just found out Nintendo released (in November, I know I'm late to the party) a sequel to the SNES classic A Link to the Past for the 3DS. A link to the past was one of my all-time favorites so needless to say I had to go out and purchase a 3DS just for this game alone. I have been hard pressed to put the game down! Amazing how well they captured the magic of the original!

So I just found out Nintendo released (in November, I know I'm late to the party) a sequel to the SNES classic A Link to the Past for the 3DS. A link to the past was one of my all-time favorites so needless to say I had to go out and purchase a 3DS just for this game alone. I have been hard pressed to put the game down! Amazing how well they captured the magic of the original!

I agree. I played it a couple of months ago and I breezed right through it because of how addicting it was. It's now my second favorite Zelda game of all time, thats how much I enjoyed it