• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List of Silver-Age keys... (for use in CGC Census Analysis)

68 posts in this topic

Hi, just wondered why you would think DD 7 is not really a key? This is a very important issue for that run. It is of course the first appearance of Daredevil's red costume as we have known him from then up until now! The second most important issue in the run! A definate key book! makepoint.gif

Hi, just wondered why you would think DD 7 is not really a key? This is a very important issue for that run. It is of course the first appearance of Daredevil's red costume as we have known him from then up until now! The second most important issue in the run! A definate key book! makepoint.gif

I guess I just don't think of a change of uniform as being all that important. I think the question was to list the MAJOR keys. In my list of significant Marvel events, DD putting on the red uniform is, um, not high. Put it this way: if it weren't for its scarcity in HG, would people care much about DD 7?

Hi again, just wondered would'nt you include not just first issues and appearances as keys, but also say a first artist on a run, or a origin issue (ASM 40)!

Again, they're significant events, it's just a matter of prioritization. First Neal Adams doesn't quite compare to, say, first SA Captain America, does it? And if you've already listed AF 15 as a key, an origin issue like ASM 40 kind of pales in comparison.

"Put it this way: if it weren't for its scarcity in HG, would people care much about DD 7? "

HUH? My copy is probably around a 6.0 and it was one of the first books I sought out when I started collecting SA Marvels. It's also a full issue battle btw Subby and Daredevil and features Wally Wood art (along with the red costume debut). With only one of those features, it might not be a key, but all three in one book certainly make it a key.

What about Silver Surfer #4? This is what it has going for it:

1. All-time classic cover

2. Thor vs. SS battle

3. Squarebound and scarcer then the rest of the run

4. Some of the best art of J. Buscema's career

5. Often cited as one of the favorite single issues of many collectors

When you itemize it, it doesn't make the case for SS #4 as a key, but if I were starting a SA Marvel collection from scratch, this is absolutely one of the first twenty books I would buy. Tell me that this book isn't more key than Marvel Super Heroes #12.

I guess I just don't think of a change of uniform as being all that important. I think the question was to list the MAJOR keys. In my list of significant Marvel events, DD putting on the red uniform is, um, not high. Put it this way: if it weren't for its scarcity in HG, would people care much about DD 7?

Have to strongly disagree with this. Even as a kid drooling over the price guide, looking at books I thought I'd never own, DD #7 was a big book in my mind and still is. And like the above poster, this was one of the first books I sought out when I began collecting S.A. There has always been a drastic difference in the overstreet value between issue #7 and the surrounding issues, which is characteristic of a key. Also, a costume is a VERY important aspect of a character, and this costume change was extreme. On top of all that, it's got what is arguably one of the best covers of the entire S.A. The scarcity factor is way down the list of reasons I want a NM copy of this book, and I suspect many others feel the same.

Put it this way: if it weren't for its scarcity in HG, would people care much about DD 7?

Yes, I think they would and definetly consider the book a key. It is ALMOST his first appearance, after all who remembers the yellow suit? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes. Beyond the scarcity in high grade it's one of the top five Daredevil books from the whole run. Don't discount the importance of the red costume. Daredevil just isn't Daredevil in those first six. Plus it's got Wally Wood art AND it's a battle issue.

Well, you guys got most of the TOS keys but there's one left. grin.gif

TOS 50 - 1st Mandarin (major Iron Man villain)

Here's some DC SA keys...

Flash 106 - 1st Grodd

Green Lantern 8 - 1st 5700 AD story

Star Spangled War Stories 138 - beginning of Enemy Ace series

Also, FF Annual #2 is a definate key (origin of Dr. Doom).