• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

closed, thanks

9 posts in this topic

Looking for opinions hm

You can see it has color-breaking creases that of course wont go away by pressing. What I'm wondering however, is if the paper should lay flat after pressing or is it normal for the paper bend to remain afterward?

Also, would it effect the grade that CGC gives it one way or another (if the paper laid flat) since the c-b creases remain?

The paper should lay flat after pressing. As you say the creases won't go away. Color breaking creases on paper that is smooth and flat is a sign of pressing.

I can claim to be all that on CGC's grading. But given that the creases are long and there are several off them, I doubt the grade would be much affected by the fact the paper doesn't lay flat.

Thanks for weighing in (thumbs u

I kind of felt that it might not matter much if the paper laid flat, especially given that, like the mylar it's in now, the inner well of the slab would tend to flatten it anyway.

Here's another shot of overhang on the cover.

I though this could have been eliminated with a little more effort, but probably not a major issue either.

Overhang is a different issue.I know of no way to press overhang nice and smooth except for disassembling the book and pressing the cover separate. Disassembling the book risks being considered restored. Books with significant overhang shouldn't be considered good pressing candidates unless there is a lot of other defects to correct with pressing.

CGC won't encapsulate books with excessive overhang - and for the same reason. It can damage the overhang.

In the case of the book you picture, pressing the overhang flat would likely make the color breaking crease all the more obvious.

Overhang like the overhang pictured here can be pressed flat without disassembling the book. In this instance I doubt it will help the technical grade of the book.

Joey would be the expert.

I hope to be an expert one day.

From what I can see the book was not prepped properly and whoever did it could have dry cleaned the creases a little better so they are not as prominent.