• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Comeback of Cream to Off White

9 posts in this topic

Maybe it is just my imagination, but I am under the impression that CGC page quality standards have varied at least a little bit over time. While cream to off-white page quality is not uncommon for early Silver Age books with old labels, for awhile this designation was seemingly quite uncommon with new labels. Now, I am seeing the return of this page quality designation on newly-graded books. Just one of many examples with a fresh C/OW grade: C/OW ASM8 in 9.4

What are your impressions with page quality grading over time? Did it become more lenient? Has it tightened up again? Or have I been dipping into the ol' jolly juice a bit too much?

It's tempting to buy Silver-Age Cr-Ow NM books if the edges don't look effected. Then resubmit. Usually you can get these at a 20% discount (sometime more).

That said, I still think that 60-70% of high-grade Silver-Age collectors avoid these books. If you look on major dealers websites, it seems that the books that don't sell (when price somewhat reasonably) are the ones with Cr-Ow pages.