• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOW DOES JASON EWERT DO IT??!!

265 posts in this topic

Um, here's the thread.....he actually admitted nothing I believe....

Jason replies....

I did ask him directly, and this is a direct quote from his reply.....

"I do not have the time, inclination, desire to spend additional $, or desire to tie up books for a longer periods of time to get them professionally pressed in order to get a "hopeful" higher grade, with a "hopeful" blue label (untampered with) which could occur a small percentage of the time."

Well, that ought to end this discussion, eh?

Why not go back 2 lines...

I am no fool. If I saw an otherwise NM copy of Amazing Spiderman #1 with a 1" wave in the book, I would contact a professional comic book restorer to see if the book could be professionally pressed flat to receive an unrestored, blue CGC label higher grade.

tonofbricks.gif

Dude are you just being obstinate or do you really not see the difference between what Jason said and what the drama queens on this board CONSTANTLY accuse him of?

893applaud-thumb.gif

Some people will twist words into an unrecognizable form just to take a shot at someone. Talk about sad.

Dude are you just being obstinate or do you really not see the difference between what Jason said and what the drama queens on this board CONSTANTLY accuse him of?

I understand exactly what he said.

It is because of that statement...that I'm not surprised his books are under scrutiny here on these boards.

I'm not saying he presses his books.

What I am saying...is that I have no reason to believe he doesn't.

No, his books are not under scrutiny, they are CRUCIFIED without ANY evidence other than a hypothetical scenario that he put forth. There is a huge difference between saying that if he had a major key with a very SPECIFIC type of defect he would look into restoring it and the [!@#%^&^] that gets posted EVERY time he puts up some nice books. A lot of his books are consignments but if you listen to the lynch mob every book he puts up is a glorified VF that was pressed. I've said this before and I guess it's worth repeating, MOST defects can NOT be pressed out. Try pressing out spine stress or color breaking creases and see how much success you have makepoint.gif

Actually, Jason has nothing to do with it. The real bottom line is that apparantly CGC does not view pressing as restoration. Now what exactly constitutes pressing in CGC's eyes I am not sure. Is it a corner folded back or an entire book pressed? (I DO hope some link-saavy one will point me to a CGC response on this).

ANYWAY - to keep it brief - if CGC does not have an issue with pressed books and gives them a Blue Label - why do the folks here really care? Not being a snot. An honest question.

I thank you.

No, his books are not under scrutiny, they are CRUCIFIED without ANY evidence other than a hypothetical scenario that he put forth. There is a huge difference between saying that if he had a major key with a very SPECIFIC type of defect he would look into restoring it and the [!@#%^&^] that gets posted EVERY time he puts up some nice books. A lot of his books are consignments but if you listen to the lynch mob every book he puts up is a glorified VF that was pressed. I've said this before and I guess it's worth repeating, MOST defects can NOT be pressed out. Try pressing out spine stress or color breaking creases and see how much success you have makepoint.gif

Why are you freaking out? If you want to vent your frustration with the CGC LYNCH MOB ...feel free. But stop screaming forum generalizations at me in your responses.

And yes, I understand what defects can be removed by pressing , and know that 9.2s can be restored into 9.8s.

There are 2 camps here I believe. I'm in the camp that pressing is not resto, because it can be a naturally occuring process i.e. the Church books. The other camp believes it is resto and disagree with CGC's stance on the issue.

ANYWAY - to keep it brief - if CGC does not have an issue with pressed books and gives them a Blue Label - why do the folks here really care? Not being a snot. An honest question.

I thank you.

Possibly because we are on a CGC board, and many of us disagree with their stance on the issue.

The books in question are merely the result of that decision. hi.gif

Dagnammit!!! How the [!@#%^&^] did I get dragged into another

pressing

debate? 893frustrated.gif

Beyonder,

Are people who do not want pressed books (or at least undisclosed pressing) asking the seller of every $50.00+ comic book they buy whether or not it has been pressed? I'm curious because I have never heard a collector straight up ask a dealer this regarding a book they are considering purchasing. Is it something that you ask as part of the negotiation for your own purchases? I'm trying to get an idea of how vocal "pressing is resto" collectors are when it comes time to fork out the $$$. As I said, I'm just curious...

Thanks,

-Jim

and know that 9.2s can be restored into 9.8s

If you seriously believe this can be accomplished by pressing alone, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. What forum generalizations am I screaming at you. Most of the threads that have involved the pressing "jokes" and "subtle" pressing inuendo have had you making the "that book is impressive" comments along with others. It's not a generalization, I was specifically including you in the forum lynch mob, at least when it comes to Ewert's books and the issue of pressing.

I'm in the camp that pressing is not resto, because it can be a naturally occuring process i.e. the Church books.

From day one I have, with all respect, disagreed with this concept and have posted many times on it. The thing is, the Church books probably did not have a CHANCE to have any pressing from those heavy stacks impact any wrinkles, warping, etc. Basically what the heavy stacking did was two things, from my POV (pardon the pun):

1) Maintain pressure on the, especially lower books, so that air could not penetrate and impact the PQ. and

2) Keep the books flat so they ended up, upon "acqusition", they were just - well - Church books.

To my mind, the Chruch books probably were not pressed because they probably did not have anything to press out to begin with.

Now if one DOES have a non-color breaking crease and it is then subject to pressure - be it in a tightly packed box, a high stack, or whatever - well - something that WAS there is now no longer there.

I consider the Church books, at least as described, as being books thatwere stored in such a way that things that would make one WANT to press a book simply did not occur.

To my mind, there is a real difference between books stored in such a way that they never HAD a defect to press out and books that HAVE defects to press out that were stored insuch a way that the defects WERE pressed out.

hope you followed all that! grin.gif

::edit for realy obvious typos -yah -some probably still there::

Beyonder,

Are people who do not want pressed books (or at least undisclosed pressing) asking the seller of every $50.00+ comic book they buy whether or not it has been pressed? I'm curious because I have never heard a collector straight up ask a dealer this regarding a book they are considering purchasing. Is it something that you ask as part of the negotiation for your own purchases? I'm trying to get an idea of how vocal "pressing is resto" collectors are when it comes time to fork out the $$$. As I said, I'm just curious...

Thanks,

-Jim

Put it this way....

If I knew that a book had been pressed from a 9.2-9.6...I wouldn't buy it for the 9.6 price.

As for the issue of " Is pressing restoration? "

Logic dictates that if a defect is removed from a book....the book has been restored. CGC downgrades heavily for non-color breaking creases...and yet...don't consider it RESTORATION to remove them.

As far as I'm concerned....that makes no sense.

I follow and I understand your position but I disagree with it. Storage conditions should not be considered restoration regardless of whether or not there were any specific defects that could have been affected. If a book with a slight spine roll is put at the bottom of a Church like pile along with a book that does not have the spine roll and they both come out flat as a pancake after a year, that does not make the spine roll book restored and the other unrestored. Just my opinion.

If you seriously believe this can be accomplished by pressing alone, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

How much of a deduction would CGC give a book that had a non-color breaking crease down the entire length of the cover? What if it was only a couple inches across one of the corners?

What if it was 1", and on the back cover?

Are you suggesting that 9.2s cannot be pressed into 9.6s & 9.8s?

If a book with a slight spine roll is put at the bottom of a Church like pile along with a book that does not have the spine roll and they both come out flat as a pancake after a year, that does not make the spine roll book restored and the other unrestored. Just my opinion.

My opinion is basically based on the Church books as an example. Do you think, when he was buying these books, they had even minor spine roll?

But a more important point about spine roll. The spine roll dictates the lay of the book. You cannot just put a book with even a minor spine roll under heavy weight and expect it to have that roll removed. Actually, the books has a minor spine roll and is placed under heavy weight, the book will not try to revert to its original shape. The spine roll will actually be reinforced by the weight.

For even a minor spine roll to be impacted by storage conditions, the books would have to be intentionally addressed. The pages and cover would have to, by hand, be brought back to their original position, and only then could the book be subject to the, for example, weight of a tall stack.

I honeslty tend to doubt that Chrurch manipulated his books in that way. Just my opinion.

Not at all. I'm outright saying, not suggesting, that MOST 9.2s can not be pressed into 9.6s and 9.8s. I'm sure that there are some that might be but they are few and probably not worth the effort and expense for most of them unless they are super keys and have nothing else wrong with them besides a non color breaking crease/bend that will definitely be pressed out. In my experience 9.2s have spine stress, small tears in overflash, small creases that slightly break color and various other defects that would not be helped out by pressing.

Not at all. I'm outright saying, not suggesting, that MOST 9.2s can not be pressed into 9.6s and 9.8s. I'm sure that there are some that might be but they are few and probably not worth the effort and expense for most of them unless they are super keys and have nothing else wrong with them besides a non color breaking crease/bend that will definitely be pressed out. In my experience 9.2s have spine stress, small tears in overflash, small creases that slightly break color and various other defects that would not be helped out by pressing.

Yes, but there are a large number of books that received the NM- grade because of creases that don't break color. Pressers search for these books, in hopes of turning a $250 book...into a $1000 book.

Either way...like you said... let's agree to disagree . I really don't care if Jason presses his books, as I don't plan on bidding on any.

nuff said.