• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOW DOES JASON EWERT DO IT??!!

265 posts in this topic

O.K. Pov you're starting to get into very specific arguments that really have nothing to do with the point I made. A book with a slight spine roll that is placed under a heavy weight will not return to its original shape but it will become flat thereby removing the roll. The book will still look off kilter but won't have the fat spine roll. As for the Church books as a specific example, no I'm sure most if not all of them had no defects to press out. But go back and reread my previous post, think of it outside the scope of Church books and you'll see my argument. Basically if I went out and bought 2 copies of FF 1 and one of them had a spine roll and the other didn't and I were to put both books under 200 lbs. of some kind of weight, when they came out a year later either both would be restored or both would be unrestored. The fact that one had a defect that was helped by the storage conditions and the other didn't should not be a determining factor in whether or not the books are considered to be restored. Comprende?

i'm adding absolutely nothing to this debate. but, i would like to see some links to the books in question. and any links to info on pressing, like how its done, before/after, etc. for you debaters out there, don't worry, i'm not looking to get this done. because to tell you the truth, i have nothing worth spending any time or money on. believe me, any of my old books are no where near a 9.0, probably not even a 8.0. i'm just curious.

O.K. Pov you're starting to get into very specific arguments that really have nothing to do with the point I made. A book with a slight spine roll that is placed under a heavy weight will not return to its original shape but it will become flat thereby removing the roll. The book will still look off kilter but won't have the fat spine roll. As for the Church books as a specific example, no I'm sure most if not all of them had no defects to press out. But go back and reread my previous post, think of it outside the scope of Church books and you'll see my argument. Basically if I went out and bought 2 copies of FF 1 and one of them had a spine roll and the other didn't and I were to put both books under 200 lbs. of some kind of weight, when they came out a year later either both would be restored or both would be unrestored. The fact that one had a defect that was helped by the storage conditions and the other didn't should not be a determining factor in whether or not the books are considered to be restored. Comprende?

First of, Rahl - I do understand I am not trying to argue with you. I am just trying to express my perception, which does differ from yours. Anyway - no hate here...

I hear and understand your words but still disagree. For one, with The fact that one had a defect that was helped by the storage conditions and the other didn't should not be a determining factor in whether or not the books are considered to be restored. If a book had a defect that was helped along by storage then I consider that book restored (I am of the "pressing is restored" camp but am also of the "understand restoration and don;t put it all in one hated umbrella" camp.

The other thing I disagree with is Basically if I went out and bought 2 copies of FF 1 and one of them had a spine roll and the other didn't idea. The thing about a spine roll is it is not just the covers that are impacted but also (and usually moreso), the interior pages. The interior pages of a spine rolled book will often(canot really say always unless I looked at every spine rolled book!) show indicators of that spine roll. The pages are - well - "schmooshed" together. They acquire a slight rippling pattern that is a signature of a spine roll. Just putting the book in a stack, even WITH weight, is not going to remove that rippling effect. Actually, it will probably enhance it. The interior page rippling from a spine roll is usually sonehting that has to be addressed outside of just a simple re-positioning and heavy weight.

But my bottom line: If a book had no defects and was stored under pressure, the book is all the better for it. If a book DID have defects that storage under pressure could alleviate (such as properly positioned non-colr breaking creases) I actually would consider that book restored, because the book DD have a defect and now that defect is removed.

Again - it is very important that folks understand restoration, what it is, what it can be, what degree it can assume. What I do not understand is how a simple storage technique that PREVENTS a book from acquiring defects can be comapred to the same storage technique that can REMOVE certain defects.

Sorry for the length of the post - basically trying to encapsulate a couple of years of this and that into one post. smile.gif

If I knew that a book had been pressed from a 9.2-9.6...I wouldn't buy it for the 9.6 price.

If you knew a model wasn't a virgin when you met her, does that mean you wouldn't marry her? shocked.gif

What forum generalizations am I screaming at you. Most of the threads that have involved the pressing "jokes" and "subtle" pressing inuendo have had you making the "that book is impressive" comments along with others. It's not a generalization, I was specifically including you in the forum lynch mob, at least when it comes to Ewert's books and the issue of pressing.

Why do you get your pants in a bunch every time this issue comes up? There is no 'lynch mob' that I can see, and no one has accused Jason Ewert of anything directly. His previous comments on the issue, and the huge amount of high grade material he sells, merely helps to illustrate points in the discussion.

The pressing of high grade books to achieve even higher grades (and therefore make more $$$) is IMO a serious issue in our hobby right now that merits these types of discussion.

And for all those freaking out, that's all this is...a discussion. We are not burning any witches here. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I found it amusing Lord, that you would use the phrase "lynch mob", while accusing others of being drama queens. Ever seen a photo of a real lynching? Want to borrow my tiara for the day?

Seriously, at this point we have ridden this pony to town and back again a number of times. The only reason I originally brought up Jason Ewert in connection with pressing was with regard to the DD 11 9.6 which was unquestionably a resub of a 9.4. We debated whether it had been pressed to attain the higher grade. Answer? Shin Kao, the original owner of the book, a meticulous grader and owner of high rez scans of the 9.4, was of the opinion that it had been pressed, noting several areas of the book that definitely looked "improved" to him.

Here's the link to that thread, for newcomers.......

When Good Books Get Better.....

Jason's response to this accusation was contained in his email to me. (see my link to that discussion at the beginning of this thread). Your basic, See no Evil, Hear no Evil, Speak no Evil position.

Ultimately, I concluded that the evidence was inconclusive.

I've also stated that although CGC does not consider pressing restoration, you will not find a major dealer who will admit to doing it. My major gripe is the fact that, if indeed CGC feels this way, then the information that a book has been pressed should be available in every possible instance, so that those of us who choose not to pay an inflated price for a pressed book may have the choice NOT TO DO SO.

When someone feels it necessary to hide that kind of detail from the buyer......well, something is up.

And for the record....that DD 11 9.6 Green River has not resurfaced for sale yet, after being pulled within hours of the appearance of the thread discussing it.

If someone else doesn't mind paying double or triple for a book that was pressed and resubbed, then it's their money. I just want full disclosure about what I'm buying.

But again, no one is admitting to actually practicing this "non-restoration". That says mountains to me. Where is the dealer who says, "Yes, I do not consider pressing restoration, and I do it on a regular basis?" Surely, public opinion is in agreement with CGC on the issue and sale prices wouldn't be affected at all by the disclosure of this info, right?

Am I out to "lynch" anyone? Lord, you seem like an articulate individual. How 'bout trying to find a less "dramatic" phrase. We disagree. And because Ewert is high-profile, and his auctions draw attention, it simply isn't all guaranteed to be positive. It comes with the territory.

Just consider me highly skeptical that Jason is discovering this endless stream of jaw-dropping books solely by pawing through long boxes at conventions.

then the information that a book has been pressed should be available in every possible instance, so that those of us who choose not to pay an inflated price for a pressed book may have the choice NOT TO DO SO.

This is my position on the issue also, and I have stated as much in the previous threads on the issue. I don't care if pressing is considered restoration or not, just that we have FULL DISCLOSURE. makepoint.gif

Just consider me highly skeptical that Jason is discovering this endless stream of jaw-dropping books solely by pawing through long boxes at conventions.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

If people are so naive to actually believe this, then they deserve to line up for a reaming.

At the next con, someone (greggy?) should line up beside Ewert and take note of what books he's pulling and the general grade (ask the dealer after). If they're all VF to NM- with non-color breaking creases and folds, then that'll speak volumes for what's really going on.

Personally speaking, that Wonder Woman he submitted that some kid had colored in, was pretty good evidence, as that puppy would never be considered "high grade" out of the box.

I would venture a guess that the majority of Jason's books are consignment items, and not raw gems he finds and slabs, nor 9.2's pressed into 9.8's. You're not going to find raw NM X-men 94's at any convention, and the percentage of books that can be pressed for an upgrade probably isn't very big to start with!! 893frustrated.gif

Regardless, the "impressive" jokes are old, and amount to little more than a witch-hunt from the regular posse of head-hunters. When new, the comments were at least fresh and humorous, but at this point they've become a parody of themselves and are more a joke about the original joke, than being a joke in and of themselves.

I would say we're beating a dead horse here, but this horse has been beaten to the point where there's no horse left to beat...just little bitty pieces of what used to be a horse. Horse molecules....that's all that's left....poor, tiny, tired little nuggets of overbeaten dead horse molecules. frown.gif

The point of my post is simply this - if you want to know if a book has been pressed, ask the seller, NOT the horse!! 27_laughing.gif

I would say we're beating a dead horse here, but this horse has been beaten to the point where there's no horse left to beat...just little bitty pieces of what used to be a horse. Horse molecules....that's all that's left....poor, tiny, tired little nuggets of overbeaten dead horse molecules. frown.gif

Wow. I agree 100%, but I could never have phrased it in quite the same way as Edmund Blackadder would have. A future signature for someone, methinks?

I would venture a guess that the majority of Jason's books are consignment items, and not raw gems he finds and slabs, nor 9.2's pressed into 9.8's.

What I don't understand is why anyone would consign books with a dealer that operates exclusively on eBay. If he had a website, sent out catalogs, set up at shows, it would make sense to me. In the old days, you could say it's because the dealer has a solid reputation for grading, but we're talking about CGC books here.

Why would anyone want to pay Jason a consignment fee?

Basically, because either:

1) they're too lazy or intimidated by computers and the internet to list the books themselves;

2) you want the anonymity of selling their books through a 3rd party; or

2) they feel Jason would get more money on ebay than they would.

Guess that's it...they're paying for an established customer base, an excellent reputation, and no hassles. confused-smiley-013.gif

Regardless, the "impressive" jokes are old, and amount to little more than a witch-hunt from the regular posse of head-hunters. When new, the comments were at least fresh and humorous, but at this point they've become a parody of themselves and are more a joke about the original joke, than being a joke in and of themselves.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I would venture a guess that the majority of Jason's books are consignment items, and not raw gems he finds and slabs, nor 9.2's pressed into 9.8's.

What I don't understand is why anyone would consign books with a dealer that operates exclusively on eBay. If he had a website, sent out catalogs, set up at shows, it would make sense to me. In the old days, you could say it's because the dealer has a solid reputation for grading, but we're talking about CGC books here.

The same reason why people pay FlyingDonut a consignment fee. Because they're lazy, because selling books is a pain in the [!@#%^&^], because my feedback is 4270 and I'm bookmarked all over the place, because they just don't want to do it, because nobody knows who they are, because they have better things to do with their time. There are a zillion reasons why.