• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skywald, Eerie Publications, Stanley Magazines oh my!

483 posts in this topic

Greetings to all of you monster/horror devil.gif and general magazine nuts out there!

I am finally getting onto a board that has some meaningfull (and sometimes not) discussions. Over the months I have seen a wealth of knowledge and have finally decided to join it.

Well I am here today to talk about the infamous Skywald, Eerie Publications and Stanley Magazines.

First off, Who agrees that these magazines do not get the attention that they deserve? I was a comic collector for the longest time, and frankly never knew of these magazines. I have always bee an extreme monster and horror movie fan. When I discovered these books about 5 years ago I nearly freaked.

Ever since I have been hunting for these books with extreme hast and dealing much carnage. I have been to all local conventions, comic and magazines stores, personal ads. While I have done well with acquiring some gems, it has been proven to me that these books are nearly impossible to find in anything over a strict VF 8.0., even after rediculous ebay searching. Anyone concur with that? Or have stories about trying to find these books?

It is my guess as well that much of the comic population, and even much of the general magazine collectors do not know of some of these horrific books. In addition to the lack of knowledge about many of these books, I have seen them fly under the radar, yet nearly tripleing in value over the past 5 years in the Overstreet Guide.

I am starting this thread to dig some real information and news about these publishing companies. And to bring awareness to these underappreciated magazines. I look at the CGC census and see nearly every Warren book accounted for. Yet when I pull up a look for Skywald books, You see only 2-3 issues per series out of thier 20-24 book runds. And those books are only bringing in Fine 6.0's - VF/NM 9.0's. I dont see any Stanley books graded, and only 4-5 Eerie publications books graded out of a little more than a 100 or more different issues spanning all of their titles.

I think that the very spotty and limited distribution of the Eerie Publications and Stanley books will make High grade copies very very favorable. The Skywald books did have better distribution as far as I know, but still no where near that of Warren or Marvel. These books packed all original stories and art, with the great Al Hewetson, and will be real treasures in anything over a VF 8.0 Graded. As far as I know there were no File copies of these publishers either. Unlike the Warren files that had many 5-10 deep of 9.6-9.8 books.

All questions and thoughts welcome. Lets blow the roof of on this one!

-bounty

General Rambling follows:

Skywalds are well known and highly sought after. Doug Sulipa recently acquired a good run of them in his 'Manitoba' find. God knows what the koch brothers are sitting on in that they have a huge trove of 70's mags they havent even touched yet (dont think they even know for sure what is in there).

The Seaboard publications are very collectible especially Devilina 2 and Tales of the macabre 2 (issue 1 from both series is a little too common to excite the masses).

High grade copies of most mags exist but you have to remember that many mag collectors dont slab em unless they wish to sell em. It only took me about 6 months to acquire a nice run of the entire Skywald library (minus a few here and there). Scream was the hardest to complete, especially the later issues. Web of Horror 1,2,3 are absolute must haves (IMHO) for any mag collector (how can you pass up the first published wrightson art).

Warren mags are beautiful and sport the best illustrators bar none , plus they are easy to find in high grade at reasonable prices (with a few exceptions).

The Stanley mags are just too over-the-top for my tastes. The covers look like the deviant wet-dreams of a sexually frustrated and psychotic teenager.

Hey Red, very curious what what condition runs you have on your Skywald books? I have found Scream #9 with the Red cover and the Mummy along with the decapitated head as one of the toughest issues to acquire besides Scream #1 in that run.

In general finding less than VF copies of the Skywalds are not to difficult. But the leap really takes place when you get into the VF/NM arena and the exponentially gaps when you get anything above NM 9.2 on these. And that is what I am referring to is the insane gap between lower grade and higher grade issues from these specific publishers.

Now Eerie Publications books, I feel are even more difficult to acquire in investment grades. I feel that very few of the original owners kept good care of these books, for they were not as collected as comics. They were for pure reading and trashing. And as you said many of the original owners, or long time collectors of these books are generally not the type to slab their books. I know that I never will.

Thus this could create a scenario where people actually wanting Investment grade copies of these books, will need to step up and pay the big bucks, because at the current prices owners are not submitting any at all.

lol, Yes those Stanley mags do represent what you tell of. I have found the Stark Terror #1 and especially the #2 issue to be very difficult to obtain.

-bounty

OH yeah! In regards to the Web of Horror Books. Have you noticed a very common printing rub on the spines of most #1 & #3 issues? Most Web of Horror #1 & #2's that I have seen, have a type of printing rub on their spines. I actually do not know if I have seen one without somekind of mention to this. Even the Web of Horror #1 example that was in last years Overstreet guide sufferred from this type of rub if you look closely at the small little B&W picture.

For the longest time I could find nothing in the Scream run other that issues 1 and 2 ... Finally I got a break on ebay and picked up 3-9 in f-vf. The last 2 issues of scream are low distribution and without a doubt (in my mind at least) the hardest ones to find. My Scream run probly averages Fine+ with a few VF.

Nightmare was the easiest run to put together and I have some killer copies including a flawless #1. These guys are by far my best condition skywald run , the average I would guestimate as VF with several NM- copies in there.

Psycho was fairly hard to gather together and nice condition issues take some patience to find. Probably a Fine+ to VF- condition run with a couple gems thrown in (issue 1 again in this run is almost flawless).

I'll have to go look at the web of horror books downstairs, Ive never noticed the rub before but now youve made me paranoid (thanks). I did purchase all of my WOH books from a seller in Dallas who was stocked deep in each issue and man were they fresh off the press... he never would tell me where he acquired them wink.gif

Couple of oft forgotten goodies I'll mention:

Berni Wrightsons 1972 'Badtime Stories' is a sweet and little known Graphic Novel that is grossly undervalued IMO.

Vampirella Special HC is the hardest Bronze age book you will ever find and worth practically whatever you have to pay to acquire one. Just beware of people selling 'Bill Dubays' personal copy.

'Basically Strange' is an awesome Corben mag which sells for absolutely nothing and from a print run of 25k all but 1000 were destroyed.

Welcome to the forums !! Im thrilled to have another magazine nut to trade tales with.

I love Skywald! The last scream is a living pain in the arse, its the only one i need 893frustrated.gif

the thing with eeries is pre 1971 have the better covers and are far scarcer. then they get pretty easy as warehouses had the 1971-1975 stuff. Post 1975 gets tough again, but those aren't as fun since there are so many reprints.

The Stanley mags are just too over-the-top for my tastes. The covers look like the deviant wet-dreams of a sexually frustrated and psychotic teenager.

What the hell are you talking about????devil.gif

Shock V.3 #1

shockv3-1.jpg

Jim

Ah beautiful Nightmare #1 (red) and Psycho #1 (jayman) ! True gems.

That Shock v2 #2 cover has been very elusive for me. Actually the first time that I ever have seen that cover is on this board.

Rip! That Scream #5 does have an awesome cover. The way that Zombie is break'n out the Thriller dance moves is eerie as heck. Love it.

Red sounds like you have a nice little chunk of Skwalds. Do you only have the Psycho, Scream and Nightmare series, or do you also have the Crime-Machine and the Hell-Riders books? That Crime Machine #1 with Joe Kubert cover of the lady in bikini jumping out of a birthday cake is tough as nails to find. I've only found 2 copies thus far in a year and a half through online and conventions, and both were VG-Fine copies. I luckily acquired a solid VF copy many years ago. And sure glad I did. Let me know when you check out your WOH's I'm curious to know if this was a widespread issue with the rub, or not. Ah yess...the good ole Badtime Stories. I do have a decent copy of that, GREAT BOOK! I have not heard of that Corben book, and will check it out. I love CORBEN! Hey Speaking of that. How about good ole Creepy #146? Its time for that to take a price hike. It came out 5 years before Vampi #113, and I believe it may have even had a lower print run than it. Yet is valued at 1/4th the Vampi. I think that very few HG copies of that exist. Compare one CGC'd 9.4 to all of the Vampi 113's out there (though the highest is less at a 9.2). Tough call. What do you guys think?

Shiver, I agree with your assessment. 71-74' issues are a little more common, and generally are easier to find in solid 8.0-9.0 conditions. There are still even in this range a lack of true 9.2 and higher copies. Anything pre 70' in VF 8.5 or higher, might as well consider it Mint. For I believe that they are actually Rare maybe less than 30 copies in this arena. Especially the 66-68' Weirds. Hey Let me know your email, I think that I have a Scream #11 that I can part with. I'll dig through my stuff. Let me know what parameters you have for it.

Well I saw everyone posting their awesome books, so I thought that I would throw a couple in. Some of my sweetest stuff is buried (not literally), but I did have some nice stuff accessable including my favorite cover of the Witches Tales Series. Enjoy guys!

-bounty

562788-Witches_Tales_April_1970.jpg.df07eb92726ad92f0a84b7c2b49ed7e3.jpg

Well on my last post I included the Witches tales as an attachment. When you guys insert the pictures actually into the post is that through a ahref link to a server?

Anyone have recomendations for free online storage? I would love to actually post my pics this way as oppossed to attachments.

-bounty

Click on the attachment until you see the picture.

Then copy the URL address.

Then you can edit your post and add the pic.

Use the Instant UBB code --> Image

Click on it and paste the URL address of the pic and voila

Ah Greggy you Rock! Thanks for Posting up my Witches Tales April 1970 issue.

Now that I can do it, let me add some of my preliminary finds.

Awesome Boris cover. I actually think that this is his best of the Skywald Series. Nightmare #2 is nice, but the rippling muscles and saturated hues of this cover are simply amazing.

562849-Nightmare_3_1971.jpg

562849-Nightmare_3_1971.jpg.726dcbbed008aca96e62fe9df89bd733.jpg

Ah, this is one of the Great Terror Tales issues that was a royale pain in my side for a long time. I consider this issue in the top 10 greatest Eerie Pub. covers of all time. It has a lot going on, awesome colors, and a really dynamic cover. Definitely some of their better work. This was the Last issue of the "horror" covers, before they switched to the dreaded "sci-fi" covers of the 71' run.

562864-Terror_Tales_Jan_1971.jpg

562864-Terror_Tales_Jan_1971.jpg.9c45d7e8f76364527d7ba400e570eba5.jpg

And the last for today, the super cool "Houdini" Terror Tales cover. Man where do they come up with these covers? That is what makes these soo damn great. You never knew what to expect with these. Another Great cover, that was never reprinted. Many of the non-reprinted covers I believe will be the true gems in years to come.

Hocus-Pocus and Alah Kazaam!

562888-Terror_Tales_May_1970.jpg

562888-Terror_Tales_May_1970.jpg.25edbea46679d74bd78771df0dd16228.jpg