• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skywald, Eerie Publications, Stanley Magazines oh my!

483 posts in this topic

great thread, guys! I remember being nine or so and buying these horror magazines, but I can't remember which ones I bought. I do remember the art being b&w and being grotesque as all heck!

There's two stories that stick out and created many nightmares for me: one included a boy hearing voices coming from the furnace in the basement. Eventually, he is lured into the basement and "it" pulls him in.

In another story there's a pool/moor of dead bodies (not unlike the pool in The Lord of The Rings) that lure people to their deaths.

Lots of blood, decapatation, etc. 893applaud-thumb.gif

If anyone can show me the title or issue I would REALLY appreciate it. In addition, if anyone could post some of these gross panels that would ROCK! I plan on getting reading copies of these mags soon!

bounty_coder, must've missed your initial posts.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

Ahhhhh thank you SterlingComics for the warm welcoming gesture!

Letsee. I don't mean to put you on the spot with your age...lol, but if you could determine what year it was that you were reading these books and then let me know if at that time they were new, or possibly how old the issues were at the time (ballpark) then I could narrow down which issues it could be in. It was these Eerie Publications titles right?

Let me know man, and I'll do some looking! shy.gif

-bounty

That Witches Tales is a hoot! a baby dracula in a test tube foreheadslap.gif

nice mags! I have about 8 Psycho 18's, but none better than VF because of Fingerprints 893frustrated.gif

Those mags were REALLY suseptible to fingerprints! I don't know how many Psycho # 14s I've seen covered in prints but otherwise structurly sound. Definitly a toughie to find in nice shape!

BTW: That's got to be the nicest condition of that issue of Witche's Tales I've seen! blush.gif

There's two stories that stick out and created many nightmares for me: one included a boy hearing voices coming from the furnace in the basement. Eventually, he is lured into the basement and "it" pulls him in.

WOW! We musta been reading the same stuff! I remember this story (if it's the same as yours) as the typical "parents don't believe the kid" tale and they finally convince him to "be a man" and go into the cellar where, of course, "It" gets him!

I would like to know what issue that story is in to re-read for old time's sake. I'm probably wrong, but I thought it was from an early issue of Creepy/Eerie or longshot Vampi? I do believe the title was "The Thing in the Basement" (How original smirk.gif)

That issue of Witches tales is nearly Pristine with OWL 10 Pages. Truly one of the bright spots in my collection...and to boot its a 1970 series.

Speaking of fingerprints. How much are you suppossed to deduct point wise on a book that has them? Say a Psycho #14 (picked this because it has tons of black). Say structerally it is a solid NM 9.4. But has like 2 visiable fingerprints that are distinct. Where would that take the book? I've always been curious.

Jay, I don't know if the picture will do its justice on this one. But this is another real prize (condition wise) in my collection. Another near Pristine copy with pretty damn close to OWL 10 pages. Terror Tales September 1970

571012-Terror_Tales_Sept_1970.jpg

-bounty

571012-Terror_Tales_Sept_1970.jpg.896baccfc95e6f7873b1ca0cd6f75bd4.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif On the Terror Tales! As already stated these books in general were not well kept by the original owners so it is nice to see your copies in such excellent condition.

Regarding the fingerprint question: Not sure on this myself, as you said take a structurly sound 9.4, add 2 fingerprints. Hmm, anywhere from a 9.0 to a 8.5? Hard to say as I think the size and placement of the prints not to mention how light or dark they are (I've seen some muddy lookin' prints) will be the deciding factors. Any other opinions?

That makes sense with the fingerprints. I think that thier intensity or generally how visually distracting they are should play the biggest part.

As for those 2 Eerie Pub. books. Yeah I got really lucky some time back and acquired a nice set of these books. I'll have to see what else I have lurking in those boxes! I'm still not the expert that I wish I was on grading. I have yet to slab any books, and don't think that I am going too. I've read the overstreet grading guide, both the current one and older edition a few times few, and thus far have had praises when I sell comics or magazines in the grades that I list. With that being said, I think that those 2 books are solid 9.6 NM+ copy bordering 9.8 NM/MT. Do you think that is too much of a stretch? The back covers are flawless as well.

While I'm on that topic, this is another huge reason why its going to be very hard to find slabbed HG'ded copies of these books. ALL OF THEIR BACK COVERS WERE BLACK! (speaking of the eerie pub. books).

Here's how sharp the back cover looks:

571271-Eerie_Pub_Back_Cover.jpg

571271-Eerie_Pub_Back_Cover.jpg.06f130482024c9b4675acdeab8b6e8c2.jpg

562788-Witches_Tales_April_1970.jpg

Greg my dear friend...We must discuss this issue as I would like to acquire it or trade something for it...Please let me know....? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

confused.gif It's not my book. I just helped the owner show the pic from the attachment.

Hey Big_Ram,

I am the owner of this book. lol, its one of the books that I posted amongst many others in this thread.

Isn't that such a cool cover? It is one of my top 5 favorites in the entire Eerie Publication run.

What were you refferring to on the quote below?

"....And your opinion?...Good Deal or tragically overpaid ??? I won the book by the way. Havent seen one graded any better raw or otherwise. "

-bounty

lol IT took me about 30 minutes to figure out what you were talking about here! You should quote these replies, it helps when answering smile.gif

YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT THE SCREAM #1 CGC 9.4 Issue!

Tragically overpaid? NOPE. This book is rediculously undervalued. If I had the money I would have bid $700 on it...seriously 893whatthe.gif . You did the right thing. I believe that people will have a very tough time reproducing them of that caliber.

Any of these Skywald books and Eerie Publication books are Extremely difficult to find in solid VF/NM 9.0 or higher. And just about scarce in 9.2 NM- or higher.

In fact, all the dealers and collectible shops that I have seen who kept copies since they got them in the 70's (Especially Eerie Publication books) are often VF+ 8.5 at best.

In my very humble oppinion. The general magazine culture just does not realize the rarity of these magazines in such high grades. And I think that the overstreet guide doesnt do many of these books their justice. This is all in my humble oppinion again. And based off of many years of scouring and ravaging everything that I can find with these books.

I also think that the majority of these books are coming out of the woodwork right now. Doug Sulipa and a few others started to mention these books about 3 overstreet guides ago and first broke their rarity and difficulty to find. Stating that they were selling most issues for 125-200% of guide because demand was far outstripping supply. And it took about a year for many of the dealers, and some of the collectors holding their stocks to leak them out. Though I am definitely seeing a slowing of this quality material, meaning that its being gobbled up quickly. And most likely into the hands of collectors and those who had childhood memories with these books. Which means that you probably will not be seeing many of them for sale again or anytime soon. These books also have a very strong bond with many of their collectors. So I think that many of the great collections of these awesome magazines will go to the graves with thier collectors.

Thoughts? That is me just taking the top of my skull off and letting my mind type. 893frustrated.gif

-bounty

Alright I felt obligated to break off some more old school. Check out this Weird July 1969 classic acid bath cover!

I have another general question for those who read this. I just picked up my first Overstreet OWL card last week. And have a question about how you make the calls. I placed it up to the pages on the book below and included the picture for it. The page color looks hellova lot closer to OWL 10 than OWL 8. Would you call this an OWL 10, or is it an OWL 9? Looks pretty damn close to OWL 10. I need some of your guys expert advice though.

571827-Weird_July_1969.jpg

571827-Weird_1969_OWL_10.jpg

571827-Weird_1969_OWL_10.jpg.efdd4a3f5a84f91edbc4191c11d52485.jpg

Unfortunately, the OWL card was printed with some tint to the card itself. In other words, the colors were darker than intended to be.

That said, the paper on that mag looks white to me. Pretty dang nice. thumbsup2.gif