• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wait..... So who's the good guy???

4 posts in this topic

alphaprimeian01 I am coming for you.

All the greats have a nemesis. Batman has the Joker, Superman has Lex Luthor, and the X-Men have Magneto....... or not. Anyways we all have them. It's not to say they are bad in any way and many times simply bring out the best in each of us. While we may not be trying to kill one another we are still in a "Competitive Set" atmosphere.

Previously in a far off Journal one of the more active board members on here tNerb mentioned his competitiveness with another bagofleas with response to the New Mutants Set that the two are neck and neck with. If you ever read the two of their profiles for their sets, particularly tNerbs, you see how even though this is a competitive set they still assist each other in finding those hard to find issues. They may have a rivalry but if anything and I hope they comment it shows the caliber of people we have within the CGC group.

Being somewhat new I threw many of my past encapsulated finds on here but didn't really see anything that fit me. I enjoy characters such as Cable, Deadpool, and even the Marvel Messiah Hope, but due to last May being my first ever introduction to CGC I felt so far behind that unless I had Bill Gates money I couldn't hope to catch up. Then in early May what started as a simple extension to a hobby became a goal. Marvel released a new series and at that point we were all at zero. I picked up a couple books here and a couple there and the more I started looking for awhile the more I noticed I had the only one of one or another CGC'd with a Signature Series label attached. Wow this couldn't be possible I say to myself. And the excitement began. I started picking them all up.... Which at times with TWENTY different covers for issue #1 got a little expensive. I found I was the only one ordering the extended prints from my Local Comic Shop but who cares, it was my goal and I was sticking to it.

So a few days ago I did what seemed to be a 2 day never ending happy dance until I finally got mine. I now have a nemesis. I have someone to comment on with regards to his collection and to attempt to catch. He has an amazing start and honestly one that will be hard to catch up to but one day hopefully I can. So as previously stated, alphaprimeian01 I am coming for you.

K

See more journals by kaholo1256

The way Bagofleas and I met was funny. I just started to purchase the New Mutants graded. I bought a copy of issue #47 and when issue fifty came out I sent an email to Steohen hoping for a discount. I had already purchased issued forty seven and another book and they were expensive for me. I believe I spent $70 on the issue alone. By the time I got an answer issue fifty was sold. At the time Bagofleas was the undisputed holder if first place. Hitman1099 was second and I was...well let us not talk about that.

I had also just sent a message to him stating how envious I was. I mean seriously, a gem mint number one (still envious). He told me how he watched everyday, except recently. He told me how he just recently lost out on a copy of New Mutants #47. I apologized and said that was me, but if it makes you feel any better someone bought issue number fifty out from under me, which he replied well that was me. I have found a copy of fifty but still looking for another forty seven for him. If all goes well, he'll have one soon.

I also stopped bidding against him. I would find out if he was bidding fir something and I wouldn't. We would wind up over paying for lots and lots of comic books that way. He is also the reason I have a copy of issue #1 in a 9.9. He found it in an auction I had yet to know about. I'm still envious of his collection and maybe one day I'll be ranked right beside him but there are many collections out there that are mouth watering.

I was where you were at. Be proud of what you have. Enjoy the hobby that we are part of and keep the journals coming.

Tnerb

Nemesis is a strong word, but it is definitely cool to have someone to compete against in a set that you're passionate about. Checked out alphaprimeian01's books...he has hundreds of modern books that were produced within the last 5-10 years or so. Variant covers and hard to find issues I get, but I can't understand the logic in paying thousands for tons of modern books that are inexpensive and readily available in 9.8. There are certainly a lot collectors that do this though and they obviously enjoy it so more power to them, I just don't understand it myself.

sig.jpg

K-man,

Rivalries and competition breeds the best performance... I like you're approach!

I personally am in competition with all of you for i secretly desire to be at the very top... but that will be improbable... unless i hit the lottery.

Good luck... i hope you build a magnificent collection and keep yourself grounded firmly in the love of the hobby and persuit of your passions!

SW3D