• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did X-Men jump the shark?

149 posts in this topic

For me it was right after the Mutant Massacre storyline. I was still buying it up to issue 300 though I found the bulk of it unreadable...

That's right where I lost interest too. (thumbs u I soldiered on to #226, then gave up.

When the internet was created and everyone realized that every person on

earth had the Byrne/Claremont run in high grade, and usually multiple copies of each issue.

CGC 9.6 copies can't even realize NM- guide prices for most of those books.

earth had the Byrne/Claremont run in high grade, and usually multiple copies of each issue.

:roflmao:

It's true!

From what I've heard, many comic readers think that the X-Men and mutant books in general jumped the shark (started to suck) in the mid 1980s. For you, when did Uncanny X-Men and the other series start to suck? What was the last arc you thought was worth reading and/or holds up today?

I actually gave up at around 150 or so.

I'm in this camp, specifically issue 151. Not because Kitty Pryde left, but because...who cared? I actually liked 150 quite a bit, oddly enough.

I have the entire run and intend to sit down and read it at some point.  I know I actively stopped buying new issues a little at or a little after #400.  It just wasn't resonating with me, but even before that it was getting a little boring for me.  Maybe because I was in high school and girls were more interesting to me than comics.  When I was a kid in the 90s, I picked up back issues when I could.  I used Wizard to see what issues might of interest since the internet wasn't a thing in my home until 1999.  Anyways, I remember enjoying a lot of the stuff in the 80s and into the 90s.  I thought the AOA was an interesting change of pace, and will go back and reread it eventually.  I want to say the whole Onslaught thing was kind of my jumping off point.  I just went through the motions of spending dishwashing and grass cutting money on these things and for what?  To buy a storyline that spanned every issue of every Marvel title ever at that point.  No thanks.  A couple years ago, I did read Fall of the Mutants, Fatal Attractions, and Mutant Massacre trades complete with tie-in stories.  I enjoyed them minus the New Mutants portion of Fall of the Mutants.  I feel it's like anything else.  When you get the highlights, then the rest can feel like .  I also despised Romita Jr's run on UXM in the 300s.  But too many subplots that were never resolved or that had the seeds sown like 100 issues prior made it tough to keep up or care at times.  It just became jumbled to read.  

On 12/12/2014 at 8:25 AM, Gatsby77 said:
Red_Hood said:

:roflmao:

It's true!

Still true? 

On 7/23/2021 at 4:46 PM, Jeffro. said:

Still true? 

I have no idea - haven't tracked CGC copies for years, let alone during the whole collectible comics run-up of the last year.

But I can tell you that in 2010-2011 I easily put together a raw 9.2-9.4 run of X-Men 103-143 (mostly via eBay) for ~$12-$15 apiece (shipped). Well under guide. Almost all were much cheaper than they'd cost at comic book shops back in 1990-1992, fully 20 years earlier.

That's insane.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:13 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I have no idea - haven't tracked CGC copies for years, let alone during the whole collectible comics run-up of the last year.

But I can tell you that in 2010-2011 I easily put together a raw 9.2-9.4 run of X-Men 103-143 (mostly via eBay) for ~$12-$15 apiece (shipped). Well under guide. Almost all were much cheaper than they'd cost at comic book shops back in 1990-1992, fully 20 years earlier.

That's insane.

You could say that for almost all Copper and Bronze Books back in 2010-11, including books that are “keys” now but had no market then (MP 15, as a Bronze example). Heck, TMNT was cold back then as well. The smart move was to accumulate multiples of all of them while prices were dirt cheap. I bought as many XMen 94-143 runs as I could lands back then, but they sold consistently for me so I do not have much left now.

Edited by kimik

On 7/24/2021 at 11:42 AM, kimik said:

You could say that for almost all Copper and Bronze Books back in 2010-11, including books that are “keys” now but had no market then (MP 15, as a Bronze example). Heck, TMNT was cold back then as well. The smart move was to accumulate multiples of all back then.

Well - or any keys.

During that same period I bought 3x Strange Tales 110 (4.5-CGC 6.5), Showcase # 4 (Cgc 3.0), TMNT # 1 (CGC 5.0), X-Men 1 (CGC 3.0), Avengers 1 (CGC 2.5), and more.

Several of those have out-performed the stock market over the past decade.

Not sure I can say the same about the Cockrum/Byrne X-Men run in raw high grades.