• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did X-Men jump the shark?

149 posts in this topic

Kitty is back from being inside the giant spacebullet?

Yeah, it was a darn good story too. I'm not going to tell you how she was brought back because those involved and the "lead up" to it were pretty cool.

This was just about the time that "Uncanny" got good again, Namor joined the team and they raised Asteroid M and planted it off-shore San Francisco as a mutant haven. Believe it or not the X-Men have been awesome (IMO) over the past 5 years.

Yeah, it was a darn good story too. I'm not going to tell you how she was brought back because those involved and the "lead up" to it were pretty cool.

This was just about the time that "Uncanny" got good again, Namor joined the team and they raised Asteroid M and planted it off-shore San Francisco as a mutant haven. Believe it or not the X-Men have been awesome (IMO) over the past 5 years.

+1 (thumbs u

They need to stop turning all their villains into "heroes" as well.

Such a good point!

See, that's weird to me... especially coming from a forumite named Magneto. :)

I thought the slow evolution of Magneto from villain to troubled good guy... culminating in him taking over for Xavier in #200... was a great plot twist. Made his character much more interesting and complex. I was bummed when I saw that was all thrown overboard later on.

Will I get burned at the stake for suggesting that it started to go downhill with the introduction of Timber Wolf - sorry, Wolverine? But the one that stopped me collecting comics entirely was X-Men 110. It was awful in every respect. I re-read it again sometime later and realised that I had only bought this to keep up my collection. So at that point, I stopped collecting and just bought things that took my fancy. And I didn't buy more X-Men after that. However, I enjoy Xcalibur (despite Nightcrawler spending the entire series trying to steal Captain Britain's girlfriend) and I thought "The House of M" was an interesting storyline.

Will I get burned at the stake for suggesting that it started to go downhill with the introduction of Timber Wolf - sorry, Wolverine?.

No. I'm a big fan of Cockrum's Legion run and his Timber Wolf redesign. Decent in-joke for a lot of us, at the very least. :)

Siege Perilous. Buh-bye.

Yes. Not that there weren't some decent storylines here and there afterwards, but the whole Siege Perilous/Reavers/Australia/Gateway/X-Men are dead/etc. nonsense is definitely where the title officially jumped the shark.

To me the UXM title really went downhill from the #290's and didn't pick up again until around the Pop-topia storyarc. Basically all of the 300's were to me.

I know this is heresy as some people think of AoA as the second coming, but the art was too cartoonish/anime'ish and the writing was nothing to write home about.

The whole 400's were hit or miss, but I would say on the whole pretty good. As a matter of fact one of my favorite story lines of all time was in here, the "She Lies With Angels" story. Absolutely fabulous

It may be my age and the fact that these were out when I was a kid, but I love the stories from "The Mutant Massacre" all the way through the end of the Muir Island Saga were great. It had some of the best art ( Jim Lee, Fabian Nicezia, Marc Silvestri, etc...) and setup stories that still reverberate throughout the X-universe today.

Edited by HarryRod

When we learned Wolverine's real name and he became bigger than the team.

When he quit smoking really irritated me as well. Not a smoker, but I thought it fit his character well.

(thumbs u Also, when they repaired the Hellfire guards after Wolvie sliced and diced them.

Yeah tht also bugs the hell out of me. I don't know for sure but did they ALL live and none die. I've seen lines that suggest both but usually more that they all became Reavers. I also didn't realize that story came only about 2 years later and not almost 100 issues later. It actually is a good idea for characters/storyline but you had to make it clear that some died and some became cyborgs and hell bent on destroying Wolverine. Too many people consider that Wolverine's definin moment to water it down like that.

Unfortunately Days of the Future Past is when it jumped the shark just because it open the doors to characters flying in from alternate future realities. I've never liked Cable but then X-Man....really ? And then Bishop with his mullet. They supposedly have mutant powers but just seem to use guns. I read what Uncanny X-Force was about and when I saw all the AOA characters mentioned, I thought Wow that sounds lame.

Siege Perilous. Buh-bye.

Yes. Not that there weren't some decent storylines here and there afterwards, but the whole Siege Perilous/Reavers/Australia/Gateway/X-Men are dead/etc. nonsense is definitely where the title officially jumped the shark.

This.

There weren't too many bad storylines before Siege Perilous/'dead X-men', but there were fewer good ones afterward.

I agree that turning SO many villains to heroes was overdone. Magneto I get, but not every villain has a conflicted personality. Also, If someone started a topic on use of clones as a poor story crutch, x-men would be one of the biggest offenders.

Edited by Hekla

When we learned Wolverine's real name and he became bigger than the team.

When he quit smoking really irritated me as well. Not a smoker, but I thought it fit his character well.

(thumbs u Also, when they repaired the Hellfire guards after Wolvie sliced and diced them.

Yeah tht also bugs the hell out of me. I don't know for sure but did they ALL live and none die. I've seen lines that suggest both but usually more that they all became Reavers. I also didn't realize that story came only about 2 years later and not almost 100 issues later. It actually is a good idea for characters/storyline but you had to make it clear that some died and some became cyborgs and hell bent on destroying Wolverine. Too many people consider that Wolverine's definin moment to water it down like that.

Unfortunately Days of the Future Past is when it jumped the shark just because it open the doors to characters flying in from alternate future realities. I've never liked Cable but then X-Man....really ? And then Bishop with his mullet. They supposedly have mutant powers but just seem to use guns. I read what Uncanny X-Force was about and when I saw all the AOA characters mentioned, I thought Wow that sounds lame.

Totally agree. I think it was just as much to do with the new generation coming through like Lee and Liefield as well. The mutant saga was becoming convoluted enough till they started bringing Cable, Bishop etc in. I completely lost interest then.

I quit in near the 250s when the issues began selling twice a month, and the stories became twice as bad. There was also a period around 225 or so when the art became atrocious IMO.

I was too young to have read anything below 140 in actual print. Back then you either had to know someone older who had the issues (I didn't) or be able to buy the back issues (I couldn't even if my one horse town had such a place).

I thought Mutant Massacre was an interesting plot line, but by Inferno I could tell these massive cross over events were just a marketing scheme even as a teenager.