• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Small Corner Triangle Missing -- Grade?

8 posts in this topic

Assume a golden age book otherwise has all the attributes of a solid 7.5 or 8.0; glossy, flat, with white paper. Now assume the bottom right corner has a small triangle missing of about 1/4 inch, maybe less. (No, I don't have a scan.)

What would CGC knock the grade down to?

Thank you for your feedback.

Just saw on CGC site that my book was graded a 5.5. So the missing quarter-inch triangle on bottom right corner of the book gets you south of 6.0, as expected, but just by a half grade -- assuming book otherwise has the attributes of a solid 7.5-ish book.

Once it comes back from Sarasota, I will post a scan.

Not sure how this compares to your book but I just got it back.

action144_zps467a08d9.jpg

.....this is not the only time I've seen this.....CGC seems to be fairly consistent with giving 6.5's to otherwise better books with small triangles missing....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I just got mine back this morning. In the interests of time, I'm putting up a fairly weak photo. Once I get a scan I will put it up, but that might not be a while because of travel demands. Anyway, book got a 5.5. You see the missing triangle on the bottom right corner. It is about the same size as missing triangle on the bottom right corner of the Action #144 above, but the triangle is not a nice clean cut like the Action #144. Also, the Action #144 otherwise looks like an 8.5, very sharp-looking book. The Master #29 below is more like a 7.5, there are a few tiny chips and the edges of the spine are blunted with small tears. I suppose if one is to deduce a CGC "grading standard" out of this, it is that a missing triangle of a quarter inch or so deducts 2 full grading points.

Voila:

IMG-20130219-00146.jpg

I just got mine back this morning. In the interests of time, I'm putting up a fairly weak photo. Once I get a scan I will put it up, but that might not be a while because of travel demands. Anyway, book got a 5.5. You see the missing triangle on the bottom right corner. It is about the same size as missing triangle on the bottom right corner of the Action #144 above, but the triangle is not a nice clean cut like the Action #144. Also, the Action #144 otherwise looks like an 8.5, very sharp-looking book. The Master #29 below is more like a 7.5, there are a few tiny chips and the edges of the spine are blunted with small tears. I suppose if one is to deduce a CGC "grading standard" out of this, it is that a missing triangle of a quarter inch or so deducts 2 full grading points.

Voila:

IMG-20130219-00146.jpg

.....once you get down to 4.5 or so, it probably won't affect it.....nice book. It would probably still fetch a classic cover premium if you sold it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u